Do most PA schools accept online coursework for prereqs?

I've been researching programs and I've only seen a few that specify anything about accepting online coursework. I already have my BS biochem but I just have a few pre-reqs left that I am considering taking online (stats, medical terminology, and English). The other 3 prereqs that I need will be taken in person (anatomy, physiology, and microbiology).

So I guess I wanted to see what some of you all have noticed with regards to PA programs accepting online classes. I obviously don't want to take them online if most schools won't accept (as I don't know where I'm applying yet) but it'd be more convenient to do those classes online, of course.

I just emailed one school, the University of Florida, and they said that taking prereqs online will "greatly weaken your application." I mean, if I did my undergrad degree all in person and took 2 or 3 online prereqs, I can't imagine how that would be so bad but if it really is to most schools, I won't do it.

Thanks.

Granted, I'm on the west coast so it may be different over here if you asked Univ of FL, but none of the 8 schools that I applied to out here cared if classes were online and I will be starting PA school this summer. For what it's worth, none of my transcripts indicate anything was taken online, it just lists the courses as if they were taken in person. However, I have seen some schools require in person labs. As for lectures, I was able to do some of them online and no one knew the difference or cared. Good luck to you!

Granted, I'm on the west coast so it may be different over here if you asked Univ of FL, but none of the 8 schools that I applied to out here cared if classes were online and I will be starting PA school this summer. For what it's worth, none of my transcripts indicate anything was taken online, it just lists the courses as if they were taken in person. However, I have seen some schools require in person labs. As for lectures, I was able to do some of them online and no one knew the difference or cared. Good luck to you!

Agree, most programs don't seem to care for things like English, statistics, medical terminology, psychology; however, many do not accept online labs, particularly for prerequisites such as organic chemistry, microbiology, etc., and will specify as much in their admission requirements.  

Note that although your transcript may not indicate whether the course was taken online, in a classroom, or in a hybrid arrangement, CASPA does differentiate, and you do indicate the delivery method when you input your completed and in-progress coursework.  

So I emailed UF again and they said medical terminology is the one exception that they are OK with you taking online. Not stats, though! So maybe I'll just try to take med. term. online and everything else in person.

Kim, I'm actually in California but I have no idea where I want to go to school! So far I'm just researching schools in the 3 states that I've ever lived in, Florida being one of them, and then I'll expand my search.

AliB, thanks for letting me know that about caspa! Good to know.

Your schools of interest are ALWAYS the best source. :) UF wasn't one of mine.

I have a bachelors and a masters in non-bio science fields, so I needed nearly all of the pre-reqs, plus I needed quite a few post-bacc hours to counter a less than stellar uGPA. I probably took close to 1/2 of the 64 hours I took as online (including pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical law & ethics, nutrition, statistics, psychology, sociology, medical terminology); but anything with a lab (biology, anatomy & physiology, chemistries, genetics, microbiology), I took on campus. I was never even asked about it in any of my interviews.

• Upvote 1

Don't sweat med term online. I took it online and had no problem with UF there. 

I will say things are very competitive at UF. So, if you have a choice with the other prereqs, I would take them live and not online. That being said, getting a good grade and getting them done on time if more important, so if they are the non-science classes you mention, it probably wouldn't affect you too much. Especially, if you already have a bachelor's degree.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/24/2015 at 3:25 PM, bleu said:

Do you remember which schools you applied to and would you mind sharing them?

A few of my pre-reqs were done online such as anatomy 1 and 2 lectures, and Bio 1 lecture. I interviewed at UF and had no issues there, on top of that, some of my pre-reqs were over 5 years old, which they state weakens the application.

I know the general consensus though is that the lab portions of these classes must be done in person but the lecture portions are okay.

PS- careful sending out apps all over the place, because if you get these interviews all over now you need to spend a good amount on travel, lodging, and possibly car rentals. Keep that in mind when casting out your net.

Edited by JD2012

• 2 years later...