• No, we are here as mentors and are a community
    • No, We are only guests on banucci's site
    • Yes, we should expect to ask for fee for service
    • Yes, we should have a "craig's list" subsection
    • No, Davis is a capitalist pig for even suggesting it

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.. so I just went back through the thread... I'm a little confused.

It looks like the following.

1- some here think every PS should be entirely the work of the individual with no outside editing/help

2- most people think that the forum itself should not charge for PS advice esp. since public posting of PS's is banned.

3- revronin wants to start a small internet editing business and advertise on the site.

4- several people dispute revronins qualifications for offering such a service.

5- several tangental discussions.

Opinion time!

1- until such time as CASPA enacts a ban on outside editorial help (relatively unenforceable and unlikely) PSs are going to get outside editing. Those can and want to pay for editing help will. Others will use free resources. Given the quality of some PS's posted here it's probably a good thing, just so that adcoms don't get migraines from the terrible writing they have to read. :)

2- Agreed that general forum advice should be free. Also semi-agree with the ban on PS posting though reading them either inspired me (the well written cool stories) or made me laugh (the train wrecks)

3- good for rev on starting a small business. If he has the chops to put it together and can get somebody to pay for his editing help then godspeed. Go entrepreneurial spirit! Go be a good capitalist! If mike has no issues, then we should butt-out. If he were proposing to advertise within the threads, I would have issues with that, but purchase ad space is another matter entirely.

4- Any qualifications or lack thereof are problems for rev and his potential clients. Period.

so BK, McDonalds or Wendys twisting your arm to buy their burger when you can just make it home for free?

Ruths Chris twisting your arm to pay 40 bucks for a steak when you can just make it at home yourself for free?

the people who charge to come around and pick up dog crap are twisting your arm when you can do it yourself for free?

local car wash twisting your arm when you can wash your car yourself for free?

theres other examples but Im sure you get the point. nobody is twisting your arm telling anyone that they HAVE to use any service to edit their paper its THEIR choice whether they want to pay or not.....so I dont see any arm twisting going on.....if you dont want to pay, find a free service....plain and simple OR just do it yourself....even easier.

Go eat a burger. Don't charge people, it's stupid.

charging people is stupid?

so no one should charge anything for anything because its arm twisting and stupid:heheh:? is that what youre getting at? or people just shouldnt charge for things that YOU think should be free:heheh:?

economics major? business major? nope and I dont have to be one to know that in the world of business consumers have the power as they have the choice...if anything consumers are the arm twisters. if they dont buy, businesses die. businesses have to cater to the consumer to earn their business

your argument is flawed........:;DD:

BUT I think I will take your advice. Im choosing to go buy a burger because well.....Im just too lazy to make my own and they have such a great deal going on that I just can pass it up:;;D:

Go eat a burger. Don't charge people, it's stupid.

So, why not just have a special subsection on the forum for PS discussion? Pre-PAs could list their issues with their PS, and those who want to help (or charge to help) would be the only ones really bothering to read the section. It wouldn't affect those who don't really want any part of dealing with the PS's, because it would keep it off the rest of the forum.

Or everyone that thinks it should just simply be done for free could list their names and email address in a directory of sorts so that people could contact them directly and have them review their PS for free or better yet, have a directory where people can list services they would provide for free OR for a fee--those who list services that cost would have to pay a listing fee to Banuchi

So, why not just have a special subsection on the forum for PS discussion? Pre-PAs could list their issues with their PS, and those who want to help (or charge to help) would be the only ones really bothering to read the section. It wouldn't affect those who don't really want any part of dealing with the PS's, because it would keep it off the rest of the forum.

Archived