Sign in to follow this  
Planteater

Is there anybody out there?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLhxKpfCnA

???? just wondering if there are any practicing oncology PAs that are active here? The APAO site has no traffic on the forums (other than spam) and I'd love to be able to talk to some oncology PAs (In addition to those I know in real life). I am a month away from graduating and a few months away (depending on licensing and credentialing) from being an oncology PA! Well, assuming I pass my boards on the first try and want one of the offers that are heading my way....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNLhxKpfCnA

just wondering if there are any practicing oncology PAs that are active here? The APAO site has no traffic on the forums (other than spam) and I'd love to be able to talk to some oncology PAs (In addition to those I know in real life). I am a month away from graduating and a few months away (depending on licensing and credentialing) from being an oncology PA! Well, assuming I pass my boards on the first try and want one of the offers that are heading my way....

Hey! I was just wondering if you ended up in oncology? If so... what type of practice/how are you utilized?

I did end up in oncology. I just left my first job in a hematology/oncology outpatient practice, where I saw primarily heme patients. I saw the benign heme and simple malignant heme (like CLL follow ups) mostly on my own. For more complex patients, I saw them with my SP and then I wrote the note. I don't want to go into too much detail about why I left on a public forum, but you are welcome to PM me with questions. I am starting a position in adult bone marrow transplant at an academic medical center as soon as credentialing goes through. I will be on the acute care team there- we handle all the acute issues that come up with the treatment patients (N/V, fevers, etc). What is your situation: are you in school, a new grad, experienced PA?

I am in my clinical year and very interested in  oncology. I have an onc rotation coming up in April. I am looking for any advice on resources that I can check out to help me prepare for this rotation and possible career choice. Thanks in advance...

I am in my clinical year and very interested in  oncology. I have an onc rotation coming up in April. I am looking for any advice on resources that I can check out to help me prepare for this rotation and possible career choice. Thanks in advance...

I recommend the NCCN website (http://www.nccn.org/)- it is a great resource for all types of cancers and has guidelines for treatment, monitoring, etc. I also highly recommend reading "The Emperor of all Maladies". I read it before my elective oncology rotation and it was fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cup
      This is an 100% outpatient practice. They have multiple locations but I'll be working between two clinics in a  major city with high COL. I interviewed with the director of Human Resources and I'm scheduled tomorrow for a tour of one of the clinics that I'll be assigned to. 40 hours per week, Mon-Friday (No weekends, no on-call) $100,000 salary Medical, Dental & Vision 401K* 6 Holidays 5 sick days with accrual to up to 2 weeks the first 2 years Reimbursement for DEA & State License renewal fees, not initial Malpractice* 3 CME days annually $500 CME annually 6 month training period; there will always be 2-3 doctors/NPs/PAs on-site. 18-20 patients per day (They assign 15 minute blocks for Follow Ups and 45 minutes blocks for New Consults) *I'm not sure whether malpractice includes tail coverage and whether 401k includes matching, but I'll be getting the official contract by the end of this week A couple concerns: Lower than average salary for my location. I'm thinking of countering with 105k. Average starting salary in my area is 110k but to be honest this is the best offer I've received. I know a few classmates who accepted an equivalent ~110k salary with small physician-owned practices but were lacking on benefits (e.g. no Medical/Dental/Vision, no 401k) As detailed in another post, I'm not sure if oncology is the specialty I want to stay in (although I want to stay in the general internal medicine field). However this is the best best offer I've received after looking for the past 2-3 months. I know that's not a relatively long time for a job hunt and I am okay with searching a bit longer for a better offer in a more generalized field; I'm just not sure if it will come at this point.  Any thoughts appreciated. 
    • By kmw2008
      Hey guys! I'll be starting a pediatric hematology / oncology rotation soon. I would love recommendations on books/resources to help me prepare. TIA
    • By Jchen14
      Hi everyone,
      prospective PA here. I'm wondering if there are any PAs here that have practiced in oncology or were/are hospitalists that work closely with cancer patients. I find cancer to be a fascinating field that earns the respect of the most empathetic healthcare professionals. The nurses on the oncology unit where I work are outstanding in terms of quality of care. I haven't seen many oncological PAs in the hospital - only MDs or DOs. I want to hear about your experiences and what you do on the daily. What are your struggles on the job? What do you love about your job? How is oncology practice different from other specialties? Thanks in advance :)
    • By chelleebean
      Does anyone have experience in a Breast Care Center? One of the hospitals I rotated through for clinicals was establishing a center with an NP to see pre-ops and post-ops. I scrubbed several breast cases during that clinical and all were assisted by the general surgergy PA's so I'm not sure what opportunities might exist in terms of OR time. If anyone has seen or experienced this type of oncology setting please share!  It's a subspecialty I had not considered before but could be so fulfilling and personally rewarding. 
    • By futurepa777
      Hi,
      I'm in an accelerated PA program in Massachusetts. In January I'll be starting my year of rotations and I have an interest in oncology. My program does not offer any rotations in oncology, so I found the application for the Dana Farber Adult oncology rotation. Has anyone applied or participated in this rotation? If so, any advice is appreciated.
      I've also looked at the MD Anderson application and was happy to see they offer a pediatric oncology option as well so I may apply there too.

Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More