Pararescue to PA?

Hello all,

I am currently an active duty Pararescueman (PJ) and have a desire to become a PA through the IPAP program, hopefully landing in emergency department.  I can't seem to find anyone that knows of a PJ that went PA or I would ask them. 

Does anyone have experience with this transition or heard of someone who did this?

"Nutshell" resume:

12 years time in service

32 yrs old

6 years as a Pararescueman/Nat'l Registered Paramedic

Four deployments in support of OIF/ONE and OEF

300+ hours flight time performing MEDEVAC/Critical Care Transport

87 Combat missions

Two Aerial Achievement medals

2 years PJ Instructor (current assignment)

I just want to get opinions on how strong my package would be for IPAP.  I still have some pre-req's to knock out but I could be ready to submit my package in a little under a year from now. 

Opinions/guidance welcome!

Thanks in advance!

HS

I had a pararescue guy as a student maybe 8 years ago. he did very well and is a hospitalist/critical care PA now. must make bucks. 22 yr active duty military pension + full time PA. went to pa school right out of the service.

I would think you have a great shot at a civilian or IPAP program.

best of luck.

Likely the only thing that stands in your way is the needs of the AF.

Are you eligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill?

If you run into an obstacle as active duty, could separate, go to a civilian school and then come back in. Or not depending.

Have you talked to your commander about what you want to do? Can you get anyone higher in command to put some kick in your package?

Have been a few posts in the military section that openings are tight, active duty, reserve and guard. My anecdotal experience was as an active duty AF medic thinking he could get into the AF PA school which got closed down and combined 2nd year I was in. Myself and 2 other medics separated and went to civilian school, one came back active after graduation.

Good luck. After you get in to PA school, remember nothing can be as bad as carrying around that log. Do they still do that? 

G Brothers PA-C

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HS -

When did you go through Indoc? I went through summer 2002, maybe balls 5?- Saw your age and time in, pretty much exactly the same. Yea  -  you should totally get accepted in to IPAP. I would go that route or get out. I wouldn't get out and then go back in. NO SLOTS AVAILABLE FOR Civilian to AF PA's for 2015 -2016.

1. Get that degree if you don't.

2. Get good GPA on science Pre-reqs, and then some. 

You would also have an easy IN on the civi side with pre-reqs. There a ton of PA schools that support Vets/Pj's

University of North Carolina has a specific program for Spec ops medics and Army ODA medics. Check them out. New program - but they allow you to skip some of the science pre-reqs. 

http://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/unc-pa

Also Duke supports the troops. 

Great info here on PA schools that support combat medics. http://doseofpa.blogspot.com/2014/03/choosing-right-physician-assistant.html?showComment=1424709664533#c7889757330275367452

Cheers.

HS -

I've had a few friends go through IPAP,  only down fall is your likely to get assigned to primary care right out of training. Believe you have to do that for 3 years before applying to Emergency or Flight Med residencies. 

At least on Civilian side you have "chance" to apply for Emergency Med, Trauma, or surgical residency right out of School. 

Guess just depends on your wants. 

Hello all,

I am currently an active duty Pararescueman (PJ) and have a desire to become a PA through the IPAP program, hopefully landing in emergency department.  I can't seem to find anyone that knows of a PJ that went PA or I would ask them. 

Does anyone have experience with this transition or heard of someone who did this?

"Nutshell" resume:

12 years time in service

32 yrs old

6 years as a Pararescueman/Nat'l Registered Paramedic

Four deployments in support of OIF/ONE and OEF

300+ hours flight time performing MEDEVAC/Critical Care Transport

87 Combat missions

Two Aerial Achievement medals

2 years PJ Instructor (current assignment)

I just want to get opinions on how strong my package would be for IPAP.  I still have some pre-req's to knock out but I could be ready to submit my package in a little under a year from now. 

Opinions/guidance welcome!

Thanks in advance!

HS

As a former "Operator" and a team lead medic (Paramedic), along with knowing, downrange with a few, in class with a few, I observed that the Paramedics and military medics were ALWAYS the top 5 in PA class, didactic wise and we killed clinical rots. We were on par with the FMG who are great docs. I would say your chances are "rockstar".

• 4 weeks later...

I am an IPAP grad and still active duty. I didn't know of any PJs in the program while I was there but I would have to assume there have been. I had two SEALs in my class and some Army SF guys a few classes ahead of me. We also regularly send Force Recon Corpsmen through the program. Bottom line, your experience will make you a great candidate and should help give you a strong package and advantage in the selection board, as long as you have all the pre-req courses complete. Good luck.

At 32, if you're going to get out for PA school, then you should consider going to medical school. 

I was same age (32) and the Chief of a Coast Guard rescue station when I "realized" what I wanted to do when I grew up.  I had family obligation at the time so couldn't just up and out (plus this was before the post 9/11 GI bill), so I held on for another 7 years until I retired.  Those last 7 years my entire goal was to get into PA school.  Finished up my Bachelors, and then earned my Masters of Public Health before I retired (using tuition assistance).  After retiring, I moved to a low cost of living area (home of record) and started taking additional science classes (cell bio, biochem, organic, neurobiology, etc) through the application process.  I think I applied to 13 places, invited to interviews at 10 of them, went on 4 interviews and was accepted to all of them (including my top pic, in my low cost of living home town).  Wound up using all 3 years of my post 9/11 GI bill. 

Right out of school I started working single coverage at a rural ED with 8000-9000 annual visits.  The learning curve was steep, but with my operational experience (ie: ability to collect information, weed out the useless stuff, analyze the important stuff, make a decision, and then monitor that decision) I was able to succeed.  I now do almost entirely locum tenen getting paid about 40-50% more than the other PAs who live/work in my hometown, I get about 20 days off a month, plus I have military retirement.  Life is good. 

Archived