I didn't want to hijack another thread so I'm starting a new topic here. Just wanted some opinions on Minneapolis neighborhoods? Are there any that should definitely be avoided, or any that you find particularly charming? I'd be willing to commute probably 25 mins max to Augsburg, but obviously would prefer closer. Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Hey Kb-- As a Minnesota native I will put in my two cents and let others confirm or disagree, but..

Riverside- The Augsburg campus itself is located in a very culturally diverse neighborhood and very close to the University of Minnesota Children's Hospital and Riverside health clinic. It's got lots of great ethnic food (definitely try afro deli!) and is a busy area with lots of people. One (what I believe to be a) downside is that it does have some rougher areas and I might not feel completely safe walking around alone there at certain times.

Downtown- Downtown has a lot to do, but it's expensive- expensive to park, expensive to live and traffic can be really bad. There is a pretty elaborate skyway system though, so if you master that you can avoid the Minnesota cold quite a bit. There's also lightrail stations that won't take you directly to Augsburg, but it will get you pretty close and you can take a bus from there if you didn't want to deal with a car.

Uptown- I can't decide whether to describe this area as hipster, young professional or old rich people. Honestly it's probably a mixture of all the above. There's three beautiful lakes that are packed with runners, bikers, swimmers, walkers, strollers, dogs, etc in the summer. It's a very active area, lots of fun restuarants and rooftops, and a nightlife (for all your free time while you're studying for your PANCE..). Some apartments in this area can be really expensive, but if you're okay living in a place that's a little older without alllll the amenities it can be reasonable. I have a friend who lives off Hennepin and 31st and her and her roommate pay $995 total for a two bedroom/two bathroom. A downside is that the lightrail does not connect to uptown so you'd have to take the bus if you wanted public transportation.

St. Louis Park- This is a great up and coming area, less expensive that uptown/downtown but with a lot to do restuarant/entertainment-wise. The only downside is that you're starting to get further away from campus and traffic during peak hours can get pretty bad because you have to drive through a major intersection of freeways to get from St. Louis Park to Augsburg campus.

I did not go to school in Minnesota, so maybe someone who did could tell you more about the college town neighborhoods (Dinkytown, Grand Ave/St. Thomas/Macallister/St. Kates, etc). I  hope this helps!

I don't live in the cities, but am from northern MN. I visit often and have friends that live down there. I agree completely with the above poster. SLP and Uptown are great, fun, slightly less expensive places to live. Uptown has a lot of restaurants and shopping within walking distance and it's a blast in the summer. Lots of biking trails and lake activities.

I'm not terribly familiar with the area around Augsburg, always felt a little sketchy.

My brother lived in the Midtown Exchange building for many years. It's on Lake and Chicago? Near the Abbott NW Hospital. That neighborhood is very diverse, but the building was very secure and a neat market inside. It's also quite close to the light rail.

Most of the closer neighborhoods and suburbs you can get to Augsburg in 25 mins...so long as you can stay off 94.

The St. Paul area I where I prefer. It's quieter (around Grand Ave area). Neat shops, and I think you can easily avoid the freeway and get there in 30 mins. This is the area around Macalaster, St Thomas, William Mitchell, Concordia....some older homes, but many have been renovated for rentals.

Tiffany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Rent around the U is more affordable and accessible for all levels of students although the quality of the places vary.

There are a TON of hospitals in the twin cities. If you're between 94 and 280, you're pretty much smack dab in the middle of Minneapolis & St. Paul -- which means you're in the middle of all the hospitals. This could be good for clinical purposes.

As stated above just for fun, remember Uptown and Dinkytown. Those are the places you'll want to go to for a fun night out. You can always go downtown MPLS and STP too.

There's a free shuttle bus that takes students to all the ACTC schools - St. Kate's, Augsburg, Macalester, St. Thomas, and Hamline. Take advantage of this to save money if you ever want to go to these campuses. (St. Thomas also has a bus that drives students to both STP and MPLS campuses, and I believe it's free).

Explore the U. Like, really do it if you can since Augsburg is right next to it. There are coffee shops, art museums, theaters, and concert halls EVERYWHERE.

Check out: Mill City Farmers Market, Midtown Global Market, St. Paul Farmers Market, Hmong Village, and etc. It's more than just local produce grocery shopping. They have a lot of ethnic restaurants and food trucks there too.

Go to Tea Garden for their bubble tea (Grand Ave or Uptown). Everyone loves bubble tea.

Archived