Value of Buffering Local Anesthetics To Reduce Injection Pain

Might be wrong here-  but I am fairly sure they started adding bicarb to all lido bottles??

small needle,  pierce skin quick, inject slowly, room temperature lido - seems to be enough for most - will add long acting many times for more time to repair and longer duration of numbness(pain relief) and doing one last injection before they are done with a long acting agent to another 1-2 hours of relief (trick stolen from ortho guys)   Gets them out of ER and home before pain returns

Honestly been using more  LET topical (lido, Epi, tetracaine)  soak a few cottonballs, tape lightly over wound, leave on >30 min - ideally 45 (even pour a little more solution on 1/2 way through      when skin is blanched it is numb     sometimes  can do the entire repair with out needing to inject any lido at all!  Key is TIME - has to blanch and typically needs to be 45 min - not a quick process, but well worth it for peds or adults that are really anxious (ie needle phobic patients)  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I routinely use neut with my lidocaine or marcaine injections (as described above, 1-2 parts neut, 8-9 parts lido), and notice a significant difference in patient tolerance, especially kids.  In addition, I use the ethyl chloride spray in kids as well.  Again, makes a big difference.  For bad lacs, especially on digital blocks, I routinely mix lido and marcaine 50/50 for short and longer-acting analgesia.  

Archived