I have a misdemeanor embezzlement charge. Can I still become a PA?

I am 26 years old. When I was 18 I stole a gift card from Sears while I was a cashier there. The gift card had less than $100 on it and I was told I could have the record expunged. I have not gone through the process of having the record expunged yet but do you think it would make a difference? I am currently working on my AS Degree and have no medical experience yet. Becoming a PA is what I have my eyes set on right now but I want to know if it is out of the question. Thanks for the help in advance.

I have been going to college for just over 2 years. Was originally planning on going for an RN but I'm really leaning towards a PA position. I almost have my general studies AS plus I have taken Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2 along with Developmental Psychology, Human Nutrition, and Medical Terminology. I got all A's and B's in these classes. How long a road would you say I have ahead of me? How many more years of school before I get into PA school and before I graduate as a PA?

Expungement laws vary by state. I'm in Ohio, and there are several different statutes here. Some expungements can still leave you in a position where you are required to disclose the conviction when applying for licensure. You should talk to your state licensing board and an attorney who specializes in these matters.

Before you can determine how long your road is, you should first determine whether you're hoping to attend a PA program that grants certificates, batchelor's degrees, or master's degrees. The masters programs will require you to have a batchelors first. You should also plan on getting healthcare experience before applying. Talk to some nearby PA schools and get their advice.

In all honesty that could hurt you going into any medical field because every program I have ever seen requires a background check just for the program itself because the sites where you rotate may not let you based on your background which will keep you from completing the program

Now if you happen to get through clinicals fine then it may affect you getting a liscense and/or certification with ANY health profession

If you have the time and money I woul work on getting it expunged but keep in mind that some organizations require you to list it even if it was expunged. the first one that comes to mind.....the military. The hospital I worked for also asked it be listed

PS you really should log into your profile, edit profile and change your title to pre-pa........youre not Physician Assistant yet ;-)

When one considers that you ARE NOT a Physician Assistant but out of all the choices available, didn't seem to have a problem claiming so...

Yes your past history of dishonesty will affect what you plan... as it should, since it seems that veracity isn't a strong point of yours...

Contrarian

Interesting thing about this is that due to the perceived anonymity of the internet, they don't seem to get/understand or care that in ALL states it is illegal to claim to be a Physician Assistant if one isn't...

Nor do they seem to care that its disrespectful to those who actually invested the time, money, and effort to rightfully earn and claim the title.

Last time I posted something about it I was told

Maybe I am wrong, but this is just a forum. I highly doubt these said people are claiming that they are PA-C's or Students in the real world. I know it is out of respect, however, maybe it was just an honest mistake

and afterwards fixated on one typo that I made so after speaking my peace I left it alone. i have noticed that none of the people that I emailed about it have changed their title so I stopped emailing......

• Administrator

just_me, do you remember who didn't change? I've added the following to the forum rules....

*CHOOSE CORRECT TITLE* --- When registering' date=' please make sure that you choose the correct title for your account. For example, if you are a pre-pa, do not choose "Physician Assistant." Some may believe that it is not a big deal what you choose, but I'm informing you now that your account will automatically be deleted if it is false. In choosing the correct title, you are allowing the membership understand the point of view of your posts and shows respect to the PA Forum and it's membership.[/quote']

Feel free to give advice on re-wording this as I had my 2 year old singing "off to see the wizard" in my ear when writing this. Thanks.

Interesting thing about this is that due to the perceived anonymity of the internet, they don't seem to get/understand or care that in ALL states it is illegal to claim to be a Physician Assistant if one isn't...

Nor do they seem to care that its disrespectful to those who actually invested the time, money, and effort to rightfully earn and claim the title.

The OP's post clearly contradicts your belief that he/she is claiming to actually be a PA or had any malicious intent. People who come here are often not computer savy and just click like they don't know what's going on. Others likely just rush through registration. It may be worth checking out whether one can register without selecting anything from the list of options of classifications(PA, pre-PA, Other, etc.) with the result being the profile defaulting to say Physician Assistant, which is the first option in the list.

/edit - I tested it and it does require a selection. The most likely explanation is that people are choosing what best describes what they are pursuing or just want to hurry through registration. Either way, a simple request for a mod to change it will probably benefit the boards a lot more than being sarcastic or rude to new members.

The question is VERY clear cut....what catagory describes you...PrePA, you haven't been to PA school yet and are looking to b/c a PA, PA student...you are in PA school, Physician Assistant, you are already a PA....request have been made privately, as I pointed out and have been ignored, but not to worry, our administrator will now take care of it if it's reported to him...end of story.

Thank You for the clarification Marvel...

... [silly, juvenile half-a$$ed excuses about why we should default to a level of understanding that allows folks to come here and blatantly lie about their experience in/with OUR profession from a "apologist" perspective]...

Dude...!!!

This is 2011... if someone was capable of turning on a computer, finding their way here, and registering... the "not computer savvy" crap is just that... CRAP!!!

If this same person can't follow simple registration instructions and answer simple questions about 1.) whether they are a person who is interested in the profession, 2.) already a student accepted into a program that trains the graduates for the profession, or 3.) has completed the training required to claim the title granted by the profession ... they are probably considering the WRONG profession. A mod shouldn't have to change this info. It should be posted correctly from the get-go.

Also...

Just out of curiousity... Why do YOU think that YOU get to direct how PA-s/PA-Cs respond to posts here...???

Contrarian

Thank You for the clarification Marvel...

Dude...!!!

This is 2011... if someone was capable of turning on a computer, finding their way here, and registering... the "not computer savvy" crap is just that... CRAP!!!

If this same person can't follow simple registration instructions and answer simple questions about 1.) whether they are a person who is interested in the profession, 2.) already a student accepted into a program that trains the graduates for the profession, or 3.) has completed the training required to claim the title granted by the profession ... they are probably considering the WRONG profession. A mod shouldn't have to change this info. It should be posted correctly from the get-go.

Also...

Just out of curiousity... Why do YOU think that YOU get to direct how PA-s/PA-Cs respond to posts here...???

Contrarian

Nothing in my post directed anyone and you're taking this too seriously if you're reading that much into things. My point still stands that being sarcastic, hostile, and holier-than-thou, to the lowly pre-PAs is neither productive nor in the best interest of the forums. Shouldn't it be a place where people can gather information and learn about the PA profession without being insulted? That is unless ending up like SDN is the goal. To each his own.

Don't take the bait Marylinpac...

Its a trap.

The "lowly" comment seems to try to invoke negative feelings about a unspoken "caste system" inherent in ALL professional training.

Its more of that "PC" everyone should get a 1st place trophy, because we are all winners and equal regardless of performance... nonsense.

Nonsense because basically, the idea here is that some folks want EVERYONE's opinion everywhere to be equal and just as valid about EVERYTHING everywhere, regardless of the fact that the opinion given may be about things the person opining has no experience with and knows nothing about.

For example...

Folks with this perspective think its OK for me to go to the NASA astronaut forum and start weighing in with opinions about how astronauts should perform "thrust-vectoring" during missions, of how they should be paid, housed, what food should be on missions, how the space station should be organized or how shuttle pilots should be classified without me having even gone to the NASA kiddie space camp...

Folks with this perspective think My opinion about what should go on at NASA is equal to the opinions about NASA held by astronauts in training and career astronauts that have completed missions in space.

Folks with this perspective think it would be rude for a actual NASA astronaut-in-training, or fully certified astronaut to point out that I really didn't know what I was talking about and suggest that I finish the training pipe-line... or at least start the training pipe-line by going through the selection process BEFORE I started rendering strongly held opinions about NASA astronauts and debating with those astronauts about their behavior, training, or the direction of their profession.

Its odd really... just be aware that it exists.

Think back to that CNA who thought that their un-informed/un-educated opinion about how YOU the PA-C should practice medicine or manage a particular patient was as valid as yours and had some merit... :heheh:

Its really odd because these folks want to be free to express their un-informed but "equal" opinion un-molested, but at the same time want to demand/suggest/direct others NOT to be sarcastic, hostile, and/or holier-than-thou with their opinions.

This should be... and mostly is a place where people can gather information and learn about the PA profession without being insulted... as long as they don't come here and insult the profession and/or the collective intelligence of those here that belong to this profession...:wink:

Contrarian

As far as clarifying what happened. I chose PA because that was what I am pursuing. I don't think I noticed the pre-PA option. Really I didn't know that by selecting this I was claiming to already be a PA. I thought I was just selecting what my interest was in. I thought the place where you choose what field you were actually a member of was where you choose your "specialty". I chose N/A there for the very reason that I am not in any current field. I thought I was being honest. The thought of trying to pretend that I was something that I wasn't never even entered my mind. I was just looking for help. I wasn't here to make an internet alter ego of myself that is a PA.

Archived