First Summer Quarter in Seattle...!?

Does anyone have any pointers for dress code? I'm trying to make a budget.

For the summer quarter the dress code is to look professional. Last year we petitioned that shorts should be allowed since the weather can get warm and we were allowed. Once you get to your actual site you as a class make up the dress code. We tacoma folks went with a more relaxed code except for when we have guest speakers or are out at retirement/nursing home visits or on off site workshops.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the summer quarter the dress code is to look professional. Last year we petitioned that shorts should be allowed since the weather can get warm and we were allowed. Once you get to your actual site you as a class make up the dress code. We tacoma folks went with a more relaxed code except for when we have guest speakers or are out at retirement/nursing home visits or on off site workshops.

I like that idea, I'll have to remember it for later. Thanks EMSGuy!

@Nucs2PA - Were you the one who moved her entire family ALL the way across the US from Florida or somewhere around there? If so, did you already move? I have some questions, as my wife and I are thinking of moving fairly soon.

Yes, I'm the crazy one who is choosing to move across the country! I can't wait, but it's super hectic these days. We haven't moved yet. My husband and I are visiting next week to find a place to live. Where are you moving from? PM me!

Thank you EMSGuy1982!

• 1 month later...

Hey folks!

Tacoma class #2 has made shirts/ Hoodies to help us raise money for our class. The money made will go towards a charity at the end of the year and some funds will be put to other uses. If you are interested in buying a shirt or hoodie I have added the link to our site below. They will ship directly to your house! Take a look and consider supporting our class!

Thank you!

TC2

http://teespring.com/medex-tacoma-class-2-t-shirts1

(For t-shirts)

http://teespring.com/medex-tacoma-class-2-hoodies1

(For hoodies)

(They will be for sale for the next 9 days, so get your orders in!)

• 4 weeks later...

Taking advantage of these poor starstruck incoming students...Bad EMSGuy...Bad!

On the other hand I'm willing to bet that there are going to be plenty of students who will be willing to sell their books/equipment to you new folks.  And congrats to you all by the way, I personally can't get to get the #$@# out of here. :)

Taking advantage of these poor starstruck incoming students...Bad EMSGuy...Bad!

On the other hand I'm willing to bet that there are going to be plenty of students who will be willing to sell their books/equipment to you new folks.  And congrats to you all by the way, I personally can't get to get the #$@# out of here. :)

Shhhh!!! Yes, I should be taken out back and beaten for trying to raise funds for the class. I think I remember you guys from class 1 peddling your shirts on us as well ;-)

"can't get to get the #$@# out of here" That type of day huh? :-)

Also, I am definitely willing to part ways with some of my "required" books.

I gotta say...didactic year has been "fun" and all, but I would so much rather be on my feet for twelve...thirteen..hell, TWENTY hour days than sit in that classroom for one minute longer. 

Best of luck to the newbies, you guys are going to do great. Keep the energy up, you'll most likely want that momentum when you hit spring quarter. :) 

Hello current and new MEDEX students,

I just spoke to OSFA and was told that the maximum I am eligible to receive per FAFSA through UW OSFA is only $12,500 divided over 4 quarters (so $3,125 per quarter). Needless to say, this amount is not even close to being sufficient to cover neither school nor personal expenses since I will not be working at all over the next 2 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can apply for additional financial aid? 

Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Stephanie 

Dang, I'm not rich either Stephanie. In addition to the Federal 12.5k loan (which I did not know was spread out over the year) I'll use the Wells Fargo MedCap loan. PAs are considered "other eligible professions" so you get get up to 120k total. I because your in Alaska you can also use the Alaska Commission of Postsecondary Loans I think it's also 12k.

We will be in Seattle for six weeks so buy a lotto ticket every week and just use the winnings to fund this adventure.

I have a couple degrees but always paid cash as I worked, student loans are a new thing for me and I'm not really happy about it. I guess we all have to pay to play.

Scoped, I called Wells Fargo and was told that I'm not eligible for the MedCap Loan since the MEDEX program I'm in is the Bachelor Degree and the Loan is for graduate students only. Are you in the Masters program? Did your MedCap Loan already get approved? 

Try the Wells Fargo Collegiate Loan its for Undergrad. It has a $120K cap but that includes all students loans combined. So if you use the Federal Loans at $25 K over 2 years in the program than you can still borrow $95K from Wells Fargo.

Im processing my loans stuff now for Wells but I just used the UW school code so I will be denied. I'll end up using the Collegiate Loan becuase I'm in your class not in a Masters. There website has all the info.

Thanks for all the kind words seasoned veterans of Medex. :-)  We just wrapped the first quarter (semester? You know Medex has it's own "schedule" that isn't quite either) and it was really great.  I really enjoyed it. I am excited to move over to Seattle for the summer quarter.

We haven't heard back on dress code yet, only that there is one, and they will let us know at a later date.  So, since I have to pack everything I am thinking business casual would be OK?  No T-shirts, shorts and flip flops to class? Maybe khakis and a nice shirt (not button down) would be OK?

Second-years do you remember what summer quarter was like in terms of difficulty compared to the online portion?  Is it a huge jump up, or small incline? LOL. 

Thanks for all the kind words seasoned veterans of Medex. :-)  We just wrapped the first quarter (semester? You know Medex has it's own "schedule" that isn't quite either) and it was really great.  I really enjoyed it. I am excited to move over to Seattle for the summer quarter.

We haven't heard back on dress code yet, only that there is one, and they will let us know at a later date.  So, since I have to pack everything I am thinking business casual would be OK?  No T-shirts, shorts and flip flops to class? Maybe khakis and a nice shirt (not button down) would be OK?

Second-years do you remember what summer quarter was like in terms of difficulty compared to the online portion?  Is it a huge jump up, or small incline? LOL. 

As far as dress code, it was "business casual" at the beginning. We asked enough times and got the OK to wear shorts. If the heating system is anything like it was for us, it will suck. One day it is super hot in the classroom, the next, freezing. There are no windows either, fun! Summer quarter at the time seemed like it was a lot. The information does start to come at you faster. Learning all that is genetics in one week and then testing on it can feel a lot. Looking back now though, summer wasn't all that bad compared to the dark days of winter quarter where they pile it on high.

Archived