First Summer Quarter in Seattle...!?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, guys!! Welcome to Moodle. :)

Let us know if you have any questions we could answer.

I guess...is there anything you wish you had known and learned along the way during the online a&p refresher, such as, study methods or just about anything that could have been useful to know?

I know my question is broad and it's like asking a PT, "so tell me what's wrong and how can we treat you?" :P

Any input you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated :)

Snakeeater12 - - I have one.  Last year, they posted the final exam objectives early, for anatomy and physiology.  Try to organize your notes in a way that addresses those objectives.  This may involve adding them to your study list each week in spring.  That way, you can refer back to them, and study more efficiently, come summer.

Also, for the discussion forums, get used to good AMA citation format now.  This tool is awesome (and didn't exist last year): http://mickschroeder.com/citation/ . 

Finally, do everything you can to work off any fat now.  Come next year, you may not have time to exercise, and you will appreciate the room to grow.  :)

Have fun, and feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

Snakeeater12 - - I have one. Last year, they posted the final exam objectives early, for anatomy and physiology. Try to organize your notes in a way that addresses those objectives. This may involve adding them to your study list each week in spring. That way, you can refer back to them, and study more efficiently, come summer.

Also, for the discussion forums, get used to good AMA citation format now. This tool is awesome (and didn't exist last year): http://mickschroeder.com/citation/ .

Finally, do everything you can to work off any fat now. Come next year, you may not have time to exercise, and you will appreciate the room to grow. :)

Thank you :)

Snakeeater12 - - I have one. Last year, they posted the final exam objectives early, for anatomy and physiology. Try to organize your notes in a way that addresses those objectives. This may involve adding them to your study list each week in spring. That way, you can refer back to them, and study more efficiently, come summer.

Also, for the discussion forums, get used to good AMA citation format now. This tool is awesome (and didn't exist last year): http://mickschroeder.com/citation/ .

Finally, do everything you can to work off any fat now. Come next year, you may not have time to exercise, and you will appreciate the room to grow. :)

That citation generator is pretty good although it didn't fly for those that used it for their pathology papers. Our faculty said there are slight differences and they notice them. :-/

I was told the objectives for the A&P online course was unless by many students during my interview. Do you seasoned folks feel that way? They said they are great once in the summer session but we're not a great tool initially. Your thoughts.

I used objectives initially but then switched to only using them to make notecards. I have lived by the objectives since summer quarter so far and they haven't steered me wrong yet. Well except for a little in pt management. ;-)

Thank you for that, you guys are so great!

Are there any books/materials we need to bring to the Summer Quarter (other than the A&P text, Medical Terminology, and Study Skills books)?

Good question. You'll only need the A&P book if I remember correctly, but I found myself using a lot of Kahn academy videos on YouTube for some of the later topics in the summer.

Good question. You'll only need the A&P book if I remember correctly, but I found myself using a lot of Kahn academy videos on YouTube for some of the later topics in the summer.

Sweet, I've already started using Khan Academy's videos for this neuroscience course I'm taking ???? thanks again!

Agree with all of the above posters. 

I would add that working ahead really worked for me. I approached objectives pretty aggressively, finishing them before lecture (first pass at the material), listened in lecture (second pass), and used the objectives to make flashcards (third, fourth, fifth, etc. pass). I have found that repetition is the key to success, but think that it could differ for many people. 

Objectives are gold in the fall and winter quarters. They pull test questions almost exclusively from those, so if you have a good handle on objectives, its a great place to start. 

On the subject of working ahead, stay on top of assignments, too. PA school is kind of like Whack-a-Mole, that old arcade game, but with assignments instead of moles. The faster you banish them, the more time you'll have to study (woo hoo!). 

Also: stay sane. You literally cannot study all of the hours of all of the days. Get sleep. Work out. See family. Walk your dog. Pet your cat. Whatever floats your boat, but give yourself a little time. Work hard to play hard, you know? :) 

Feel free to message me with any questions. 

For summer, you will find that the objectives for anatomy and physiology objectives do correlate pretty well to the test material.  For other summer coursework, other study aids provided by faculty were more useful.  Make of that what you will.

As for citation generator -- yes, you may run into problems with the summer quarter paper, as they are trying to set the tone for expectation.  As EMS Guy suggests, you will want to be more meticulous at first.  I use it now, and haven't had as many problems.

StephG -- I don't recall having additional books assigned for summer quarter.

Oh -- comparison shop for books.  Check Amazon, Barnes and Noble (but not the textbook site) and other vendors.  It's saved me hundreds of dollars since summer.  

Did anyone use Mastering A&P as a study tool? It has a bunch of tests and quizzes for practice. I did not buy it for the 10th edition but I wanted to know if it helped past students. I found the 8th edition one on-line for free. below is the link.

http://wps.aw.com/bc_martini_fap_8_oa/93/23992/6141952.cw/index.html

Thank you for sharing this link!

I used the online quizzes, and they usually correlated pretty well to what I could expect on MEDEX quizzes (I.e., a 90% will earn you +/- that by 8 points or so).

So, grain of salt, but I used to take them right before I thought I was ready to quiz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived