EM Job Offer

I was seeking to get input about a job offer I had for an EM position.  I have 1 year experience as a PA in cardiology.  I would be required to work Sun, Mon, Tue and Every other Sat all night shifts for 106K.  Training is expect to last 90 days and have licensing agreement with EM Bootcamp video lectures and written exams during the training period.  Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated. 

Sounds like you are getting sandwiched into someone else's needs.

Your life at sometime will need flexibility that this schedule will not provide and you will have to make a decision.

On the other hand, if EM is something you want to do and this is your only opportunity then work it for a year and then look around.

Just dont commit yourself for longer than that. Sometimes one does need to sacrifice in order to gain a toehold, I just wish it was under better circumstances.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

EMEDPA,  4 weeks vacation with an addition 1 for CME (1500), and your standard 401k,medical,dental, etc...(They have a structured bonus program in place that all the PA have meet the last few quarters)  I'm not even going to factor that inn.

Gbrothers, They said If I could give them one year nights that switching over to days would be something doable. 

Browndog, its not TeamHealth! 

EMEDPA,  4 weeks vacation with an addition 1 for CME (1500), and your standard 401k,medical,dental, etc...(They have a structured bonus program in place that all the PA have meet the last few quarters)  I'm not even going to factor that inn.

They said If I could give them one year nights that switching over to days would be something doable. 

sounds ok. I like all nights. you may also be able to trade around with other folks if you need a particular night off. congrats!

How long are your shifts?  8, 10, 12?  In my area, Ohio, most EM PA's are making approx $55/hour.  CME is usually $2500-5000/year.

$1500 is too low for CME $.

The difference in registration fees between physicians and nonphysicians is usually only $100 to $300 difference.

All the rest you are paying the same price. 

Asking for the PA discount doesnt get you anywhere.

GB PA-C

$1500 is too low for CME $.

The difference in registration fees between physicians and nonphysicians is usually only $100 to $300 difference.

All the rest you are paying the same price. 

Asking for the PA discount doesnt get you anywhere.

GB PA-C

he is also getting paid for the week he is at the conference if I read his response correctly so tack on another $2000+.

I have only had 1 prior job that paid cme money + paid me to attend. that's a deal not seen very frequently.

he is also getting paid for the week he is at the conference if I read his response correctly so tack on another $2000+.

I have only had 1 prior job that paid cme money + paid me to attend. that's a deal not seen very frequently.

You will still be using your money to pay.

It is just a shell game that is being done.

If you werent at the conference, you would be working or on vacation.

Remember unless stated otherwise, most employment is predicated on a 2080 hour work year.

Subtract ETO or whatever scheme an employer uses. Subtract the week off for cme. What you have left is what you work the rest of the year unless you dont want to get paid.

So that $1500 is to be used only for CME associated expenses. The money you are being paid during that week is your expected salary, they have just designated your time differently.

Only different way to approach is the way my group does. You contract to work for a certain # of hours. Right now entry is 120k for 1680 hours a year. So 400 hours off or 10 weeks. You fit your CME time in that 400 hours.

But prior to this, I always got a paid 5 or 7 day stretch per year for CME and $2K to $3k yearly.

The other thing you always run into is the one week off factor. Is that 5 days or 7 days? How many of you are held to 5 days because that is how the administrative world works even though you work holidays and weekends? So you go to a 3 day conference early in the year and then want another 3 day conference later. Unless some of it occurs on the weekend, you are using personal time to attend. If you are getting around the 5 day limit by using a weekend day or 2, that means you are attending on your weekend off or you are working your full schedule before and after the CME. You are now cutting into your personal time, the 6680 other hours that is your time separate from the 2080 you are held responsible for.

You may think, well it's only a couple of days but employers think the same thing about you charting after hours too. And working through your lunch hour.

I would ask for more CME money, all they can say is no. Then it is your decision. Better some than none.

Also ask about those 4 weeks off. Is this ETO? Or 4 weeks use or lose? Can it roll over to next year? If you cant use it due to staffing issues, will they pay you OT for that time you should have taken off? 

As for nights for a year and then reconsideration, I would want that in writing. Memories fade and promises are made in the heat of the moment, fulfillment is negotiated later. 

But if this is to gain experience or a foothold, then use it to your advantage acknowledging that it is temporary.

Good luck.

GB PA-C

• 3 weeks later...

I was with 1/2! Alpha & Bravo Cos '86 - '89.

A few more excellent books I would recommend to you REMPAC (in order) from meat-and-potatos to the deep-dive finer points of EM)

1. Case Files: Emergency Medicine (3rd Ed) - Meat-and-potatos EM.  Great for getting a good base of knowledge & workups

2. Emergency Medicine: Avoiding the Pitfalls and Improving the Outcomes; by Mattu.  A collection of some of the finer points in EM

3. Avoiding Common Errors in the Emergency Department; also by Mattu.  'Deep dive' into avoiding common errors (as the tile attests) and some not-so-common erorrs

4. Emergency Medicine Evidence: The Practice Changing Studies; by Aaronson.  To complete your EM literacy

Archived