CASPA GPA Calculation Checker

• Administrator

Which is rather curious that they have the granularity at the session level rather than the school level. I'm not aware of any school which offers both quarter and semester hours, nor any which have switched recently, but I suppose it must be possible that it's happened somewhere.

Guest JohnR
Which is rather curious that they have the granularity at the session level rather than the school level. I'm not aware of any school which offers both quarter and semester hours, nor any which have switched recently, but I suppose it must be possible that it's happened somewhere.

One of the schools I attended switched from quarters to semesters. It was after I graduated, but I'm sure there are students that have both quarter and semester hours from the school.

• 4 weeks later...

version notes

0.8 - added 'Behavorial Science' as an option for subjects (thanks Steph4!)

0.7 - added quarter support (thanks rev ronin & JohnR!)

0.6 - added chrome and ie8 support

here's how to use the spreadsheet:

1. login to CASPA
  2. in your coursework on CASPA, copy out your classes, and paste them into Columns B-H of the 'Courses' sheet in the excel workbook. you will need to copy and paste semester by semester.
  3. correctly fill in Column A of the 'Courses' sheet with the appropriate grade level (e.g. Fresh, Soph, Junior, etc.)
  4. correctly fill in Column J of the 'Courses' sheet with either Semester or Quarter
  5. press the Calculate GPA button

some important notes

• make sure you are using either internet explorer 8, opera, or google chrome as a web browser (firefox does not work!!). if you do not want to cut and paste, you can always fill in the information manually.
  • make sure macros are enabled. the spreadsheet will not work if your security settings are too high, or if you do not enable macros.
  • GPA calculations are not automatic. you must press the update or calculate button
  • always check for the latest version by scrolling to the newest posts on this thread
  • please report any errors you find, or if you have any suggestions
  • the P/CR/AP column probably is not correct at the moment

• 1 month later...
I've been using this since about Feb. Just noticed that the gpa isn't calculating honors courses only regular.

be sure you are using the latest version (0.8). also, note that the GPA does not auto-calculate once you change the grades. you must push the calculate GPA button....it's kind of a hack job, but basically what happens is that any course that is designated as Honors is automatically flipped to Regular for the sake of calculation.

let me know if that works. if not, feel free to PM me.

• 8 months later...

I know this post is old, but I am reapplying this year so I just opened up your program again. Just wanted to applaud the collaborative spirit that made you decide to upload the program you made so that others could benefit from it. The world (especially in medicine) could really use more of that kind of attitude. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Heyyy I have a question!! What if you took courses at diff Universities/Colleges?? And like summer courses at community colleges... How do you factor in so many diff GPAs???

CASPA pretty much lumps everything together to come up with aggregate GPAs, regardless of institution. for example, a 4 hour biology course at a local community college, and a 4 hour biology course at a 4-year university would be worth the same grade points

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

version notes

0.9 - added support for up to 200 courses (thanks PA4me2010!)

0.8 - added 'Behavorial Science' as an option for subjects (thanks Steph4!)

0.7 - added quarter support (thanks rev ronin & JohnR!)

0.6 - added chrome and ie8 support

here's how to use the spreadsheet:

1. login to CASPA
  2. in your coursework on CASPA, copy out your classes, and paste them into Columns B-H of the 'Courses' sheet in the excel workbook. you will need to copy and paste semester by semester.
  3. correctly fill in Column A of the 'Courses' sheet with the appropriate grade level (e.g. Fresh, Soph, Junior, etc.)
  4. correctly fill in Column J of the 'Courses' sheet with either Semester or Quarter
  5. press the Calculate GPA button

some important notes

• make sure you are using either internet explorer 8, opera, or google chrome as a web browser (firefox does not work!!). if you do not want to cut and paste, you can always fill in the information manually.
  • make sure macros are enabled. the spreadsheet will not work if your security settings are too high, or if you do not enable macros.
  • GPA calculations are not automatic. you must press the update or calculate button
  • always check for the latest version by scrolling to the newest posts on this thread
  • please report any errors you find, or if you have any suggestions
  • the P/CR/AP column probably is not correct at the moment

semester system

just sent you a private message. looks like CASPA either is not including one of your classes (since both GPAs appear higher on the spreadsheet)...or i wonder if they are not waiting until the end to round...

anyone else who has used this spreadsheet and applied recently getting the same mismatched results?

• 2 weeks later...

This was really helpful! And really depressing.. if CASPA calculates GPA using all the courses we've ever taken and retaken, how can we improve our GPA significantly? I've retaken problem courses and taken new science courses as well.. At this point, I have really nothing left to take! and yet my GPA is still not competitive.

What to do!

I agree with ltran819. Is there anyone who can give us advice as to how to improve our GPA significantly on CASPA? I've also retaken some courses that I got C's in, and taken new "recommended" science courses as well, got mostly A's but still it only averages with the lower grade. Any advice is very much appreciated!!

Science and non science GPA is calculated separately, and also together to give an overall GPA. How they are weighed depends on the PA program you're applying to. But I'm sure the schools look heavily on science GPA and prerequisite GPA as a more accurate depiction as to how you will perform in their program.

• 4 weeks later...
I entered all my information onto excel and hit "calculate GPA" and its saying my GPA is 2.36 or something like that. I know it's not that low. Can someone help me out? Preferably if I can e-mail my excel sheet to someone..

sure...you can email me your spreadsheet to PAForumGPACalc[at]gmail.com

also note that CASPA has their own formula for calculating GPA that is different than your respective schools

-EDIT-

bananapeppers...thanks for the email. I caught a flaw in the way I was handling quarters. I'm going to take a look at it tonight to fix it.

Edited by GeneValgene