Undergraduate research or EMT?

So I have been invited to an honors program specific to the department of my major at my university. The program requires that you do at least a year of undergraduate research and take a few honors level courses.

However, I am also very interested in volunteering/working as an EMT, and I think that it would be very difficult to do both that and research. I am majoring in Biochemistry, and it already requires a lot of lab hours (but not necessarily research). 

What are your thoughts on the value of undergraduate research for PA school? I do not want to work in research, and I feel like EMT would be a much better choice in preparation for PA school. Should I try to do both and risk my GPA and stamina though? I feel bad turning down an honors program that would be a nice academic opportunity. 

**Also, if I were NOT to become an EMT and chose to pursue the research, I would just work as a CNA to get my healthcare experience. 

research has very little value when applying to PA school. It has value in the med school admissions process. All the research methodology courses you need to write your master's paper will be taught in your PA program. certainly research should not substitute for real HCE. I have worked on admissions committees before. When applicants apply with research experience only I throw their apps in the round file and they are sent a letter which says " if you wish to reapply, the program recommends you obtain 2000 or more hours of relevant HCE.".

Do the EMT. you will be glad you did.

I did a similar undergraduate research honors program and also worked as an EMT. Definitely do both if you can. I'm going straight into PA from undergrad and had about 1200 Hce (mostly obtained during summers) and about 500 research hours. I think the research helped set me apart but if you have to pick one then pick Emt.

Keep up the good work. Although I can't speak to your research experience, I got my EMT cert in the spring and have done volunteer work since then as my schedule allows (my primary source of HCE is my full-time job). I really enjoyed the class and found it to be a crash course in anatomy that has helped me a bit in academia. Plus, the PA I shadow started as an EMT. If you're on the fence, as a fellow aspiring PA I'd say go for it! Ridealongs (required for your cert) are great hands-on experience and it can be a personal gauge for your own desire to get into medicine. Good luck!

Research if you're going to med school. And go to med school if you like research.

EMT if you're going to PA school.  And go to PA school if you like being an EMT.

The first sentiment is skewed.  It is possible to be a PA and conduct clinical research, or even bench research for that matter.  Agree with sentence #2.  Plenty of EMTs/medics go to med school; flight for life docs fall right in that line.

Archived