PA School Decision

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two programs, so now I must decide between them.

The first program is in Arizona. They have a 5 year first time taker PANCE average of 97%. Tuition is around $94,000 ($108,000 after fees). I believe the cost of living in Arizona is moderate (possibly moderate-low). The program is 27 months long (starting in the summer). My wife, who is a massage therapist, likes the idea of living in Arizona and thinks it would be fairly easy to obtain employment there while I go to school.

The second program is in my home state of Idaho. It also has a PANCE pass rate of 97%. The tuition (in-state) is $61,000 (about $72,000 after fees). Idaho has a fairly low cost of living. The program is 24 months long starting in the fall. I like the lower tuition, but I have some concerns. My wife wants to leave Idaho, but at least we would be moving to a different side of the state. She is also concerned that it might be difficult obtaining employment in massage therapy. I'm concerned about the distance learning the school uses (they use a video broadcast in order to present lectures to students across 3 different campuses in the state). I have experienced this in my undergraduate years (which were done at the same school) and I know it can be frustrating at times. Also, my final concern is that my bachelors and masters degrees would both be from the same school which I've hear makes you look less well rounded.

I think that about covers it. I have been going back and forth between the two so any advice or opinions you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to two programs, so now I must decide between them.

The first program is in Arizona. They have a 5 year first time taker PANCE average of 97%. Tuition is around $94,000 ($108,000 after fees). I believe the cost of living in Arizona is moderate (possibly moderate-low). The program is 27 months long (starting in the summer). My wife, who is a massage therapist, likes the idea of living in Arizona and thinks it would be fairly easy to obtain employment there while I go to school.

The second program is in my home state of Idaho. It also has a PANCE pass rate of 97%. The tuition (in-state) is $61,000 (about $72,000 after fees). Idaho has a fairly low cost of living. The program is 24 months long starting in the fall. I like the lower tuition, but I have some concerns. My wife wants to leave Idaho, but at least we would be moving to a different side of the state. She is also concerned that it might be difficult obtaining employment in massage therapy. I'm concerned about the distance learning the school uses (they use a video broadcast in order to present lectures to students across 3 different campuses in the state). I have experienced this in my undergraduate years (which were done at the same school) and I know it can be frustrating at times. Also, my final concern is that my bachelors and masters degrees would both be from the same school which I've hear makes you look less well rounded.

I think that about covers it. I have been going back and forth between the two so any advice or opinions you could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Naturally I would go with the cheaper school, but I'm like you, not interested in learning through video broadcast, especially in grad school. Make a pro and con list or a venn diagram and decide that way, but it sounds like both you and your wife have found a lot of reasons to leave Idaho.

Also, my final concern is that my bachelors and masters degrees would both be from the same school which I've hear makes you look less well rounded.

I've never heard of this. Many people pursue a linear path from bachelors, to masters, to doctorate at one institution. Especially if it is a larger, research institution.

Also, my final concern is that my bachelors and masters degrees would both be from the same school which I've hear makes you look less well rounded.

No one cares about this. The only time it's weird is if you're trying to go from bachelors through a PhD at the same institution -- then there are concerns that you're not dealing with a diverse academic "gene pool." But you're not trying to enter academia, you're trying to go into a clinical career.

In our business, it matters not at all.

I have a bachelor's and MBA from the same school, working on an MMS from another, and no one has ever said a word about it.

• 2 months later...

In Arizona you can play golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon...in January. But in reality, pick which institution feels right to you. Generally, your gut feelings is right in this because you really know what you want. I made this mistake and picked with my head and I'm not nearly as happy as I think I could be. But who knows, I could be totally wrong. 

In Arizona you can play golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon...in January. But in reality, pick which institution feels right to you. Generally, your gut feelings is right in this because you really know what you want. I made this mistake and picked with my head and I'm not nearly as happy as I think I could be. But who knows, I could be totally wrong. 

Prolly wont be doing much golfing or skiing during those 2 years. On the other hand, dont discount weather. As many know, this winter in the Northeast and the rest of the northern tier of the country is turning out to be epic and not in a good way. Local program has cancelled classes several times and traveling to rotations for students is pretty shaky in bad weather. Being an Arizonian? ( or Texan or Floridian) for a couple years may not be a bad thing.

GB PA-C

Prolly wont be doing much golfing or skiing during those 2 years. On the other hand, dont discount weather. As many know, this winter in the Northeast and the rest of the northern tier of the country is turning out to be epic and not in a good way. Local program has cancelled classes several times and traveling to rotations for students is pretty shaky in bad weather. Being an Arizonian? ( or Texan or Floridian) for a couple years may not be a bad thing.

GB PA-C

Yeah it would be a great thing, especially in winter. Great weather is hugely therapeutic when you only spend a few hours a week outside NOT walking from your car to class. 

The northwest winter (Idaho) hasn't been anything like normal or what the northeast is getting. Just yesterday we were probably at 65 degrees and sunny! Although that's definitely not the norm. I hadn't really thought about the effect of weather on traveling during. Thanks for the perspective.

Archived