We have a physician in our practice that is a year out of residency. He feels that if he has to sign off on my charts he should get full credit for all my RVUs. At this time, I work in a clinic three days a week alone, he works with me the other 2 days. Can he get credit? I do all the work, every once in a awhile I ask his advice. He never even sees my patients.

Yeah....no.

He gets the RVU if he does work, not just for signing.

Also has to consider if he has to sign every chart of yours according to state statute or is this just personal preference because he has not supervised PAs in the past?

Talk to the business manager or the head of the practice about this.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I've always wondered about this...so in my ER all of my charts have to be signed by my attending, even level 4's and 5's (though that is changing soon). So I will typically see the patient, do my full H/P, labs, a/p, most of my attendings typically pop in the room for a quick minute to say hello and some wont see them at all but at the end of my note they all put something like:

"I saw the patient with the PA, patient presented with chest pain, I made all diagnostic treatment and dispo decisions"

Does this enable them to get full rvu credit? Does that take anything from me?

He has to do his own exam and meet the patient even briefly to get billed under his name.. then he needs to establish the assessment and plan.

I do consults all day, most of them the doc isn't around,I get the rvu. I'll do a note every so often when I see one with them, or they'll do their own.

I've always wondered about this...so in my ER all of my charts have to be signed by my attending, even level 4's and 5's (though that is changing soon). So I will typically see the patient, do my full H/P, labs, a/p, most of my attendings typically pop in the room for a quick minute to say hello and some wont see them at all but at the end of my note they all put something like:

"I saw the patient with the PA, patient presented with chest pain, I made all diagnostic treatment and dispo decisions"

This borders on fraud when the physician doesn't see the pt.    It's all about the money and billing.  When the physician "pops" in they can bill under the physician fee.  You should ask about this....is this fraud....and will I lose my license?  If they bill under the physician how are your credited?  I would want to know.

Just be prepared when you start questioning the system and get educated that they might think you are  a trouble-maker assistant. 

This is fraud.

You wont get the full credit, essentially these docs are taking credit for all the medical decision making being done by them, when it appears you likely are not.

Likely they are getting the bulk of the RVU for these encounters.

Not a great working environment. They completely understand what they are doing.

They are screwing you.

GB PA-C

This is fraud.

You wont get the full credit, essentially these docs are taking credit for all the medical decision making being done by them, when it appears you likely are not.

Likely they are getting the bulk of the RVU for these encounters.

Not a great working environment. They completely understand what they are doing.

They are screwing you.

GB PA-C

Hmm very interesting. Don't all PA charts have to be signed by an attending though no matter what setting? I do present all of my higher acuity patients to the attending so it's not like they're signing the chart completely blind on the patient.

Hmm very interesting. Don't all PA charts have to be signed by an attending though no matter what setting? I do present all of my higher acuity patients to the attending so it's not like they're signing the chart completely blind on the patient.

No.

Depends upon setting and state statute.

My state statute stipulates a representative percentage of charts need to be reviewed and cosigned. That percentage is decided upon locally.

Telephone contact with SP is the minimum standard according to state statute also.

Clinics and hospitals can set their standard higher if they desire.

Many PAs (and their SPs) operating under myth and dogma out there.

And when your SP signs all your charts, 5 days, 20+ patients a day, what does that really provide?

He/she is actually reading line by line every chart? Uh huh.

My SP reviews and signs all charts. He does this as a risk management and quality assurance tool. He signs remotely and usually much after the fact depending upon when chart is completed and sent electronically for review. One could also say it justifies his position and makes our group look good too.

But it is unlikely he is reading every chart completely.

What does your state PA statute stipulate as the requirement?

GB PA-C

absolutely not!

no cosign in out patient in my state - none, nada, zip

admit and dc orders need cosgin - otherwise we are on own.....

Archived