Nose ring/stud during interview?

There are a lot of threads discussing interview attire and facial hair, but I have only seen one comment on nose piercings. What are your thoughts? I have a small loop and was at least thinking about switching to a small diamond stud for my interview. I can also take it out all together. However there is still a hole so its not like I can hide the fact that I normally have a pierced nose. Thank You!

I would consider the stud only.  I know most people say no piercings beyond the 2 in each ear, but I didn't follow that.  You have to go with what feels right to you. I have 3 upper ear piercings with small studs that I left in for my interviews.  Turns out one of my interviewers for my last one had an upper ear piercing too, and I decided to compliment her on it, and mentioned how I choose to left mine in against other advice, because I wouldn't want to go to a school that wouldn't choose me simply for my piercings.   I got an acceptance phone call 4 days later! 

I also have a nose piercing and thought "I wouldn't want to go somewhere that judges me for a small diamond stud on my face....." BUT as my interview gets closer I am taking that thing out.  I am a pansy I guess - I just don't want ANYTHING distracting them from what I'm saying and so I don't even have to think about it. Granted, my hole is not visible when I take it out, you must have a different gauge.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Its not that I have a large gauge hole I have just had a nose ring for over 20 years so its well established. My interview is a week from today. I took my nose ring out a few days ago to maybe allow the hole to close up a bit. I will probably make a last minute decision that morning. I definitely dont want any distractions or to look unprofessional however after over 20 years it is definitely part of who I am.

The medical profession tends to lean more towards a conservative and professional appearance. I'd ditch the nose ring, which will only be gone for a few hours at the most. The committee is made up of fallible human beings and they're capable of judging or making false generalizations, so, better to be safe than sorry.

Archived