Confused about HCE - caregiver vs CNA

Hi everyone,

I'm about to finish up my CNA course and will hopefully become certified within a week.

What I'm confused about is whether working as a "caregiver" rather than CNA would be a risky move - I've heard some places don't accept it as HCE. It would be much easier to find a caregiver job in group homes and such, which is why I ask.

At this point I'm really worried about finding a job to have enough hours to apply next year (will be working full time though). The job functions are generally the same - helping out with ADLs, rehabilitation, taking vitals, attending call lights. The only difference I can find is the title, and that you are serving "residents" rather than "patients".

I've actually found that companies are advertising the job with both names ("CNA/caregiver"). Many also require that you at least finish a nurse aide course.

Any other advice on finding work as a CNA is appreciated. It seems like many hospitals want 6 months experience which is disheartening. I might help out as a volunteer at a free clinic for now.

Thanks in advance!

I don't recall seeing "home health aide" or "caregiver" listed as acceptable HCE on PA program websites, so I think you are right to be cautious. Even though much of the work would be the same, hospitals generally have sicker patients, there are nurses there, people are getting IVs and injections, there are code blues, you can float to the ER if they need help and learn some stuff, you will learn a bit about how a hospital operates, what nurses do, what xray techs and respiratory therapists do, and so on.

When I worked in a hospital as a NA (uncertified) I relished every chance I got to go to the ER, transport patients for CT scans, drop off specimens at the lab, pick up medications from the pharmacy... I even helped the mortuary people move a couple of deceased patients down to the basement and out to their van. I worked at the local hospital where the pay was lowest and staff turnover was highest so it wasn't very difficult to get a job there. You might also try a rehabilitation clinic. Good luck!

Archived