Why PA school? (For those in their early 20s)

I am beyond conflicted between PA school or medical school.

I came across a previous thread that made me wonder why I'm not applying for med schools if I don't have an issue with money or time. 

Besides money, time, or desire for a family in the future, why are you guys choosing a PA career?

If you were offered admission into medical school, would you take it? I think I heard of a case where a PA working in surgery was offered a full ride to medical school because the hospital saw potential in her/him.

I came across a previous thread that made me wonder why I'm not applying for med schools if I don't have an issue with money or time.

Besides money, time, or desire for a family in the future, why are you guys choosing a PA career?

If you were offered admission into medical school, would you take it? I think I heard of a case where a PA working in surgery was offered a full ride to medical school because the hospital saw potential in her/him.

One of the reasons I chose PA over medical school, besides the ones you mentioned, is because as a PA, you can work in more than one specialty and switch specialities more easily than if you were an MD.

One of the reasons I chose PA over medical school, besides the ones you mentioned, is because as a PA, you can work in more than one specialty and switch specialities more easily than if you were an MD.

this lateral mobility is getting more difficult every year and will probably go away at some point. Family med physicians actually have quite a bit of flexibility in their careers. they can do kids(or not), OB (or not), derm, psych, special procedures(scopes, treadmills, vasectomies, etc or not. they can be hospitalists. they can run wt loss centers, urgent cares, 1st assist in the o.r., work in ER, run occ. med clinics, do pain management, etc. Really not much a PA could do that a family med doc could not if they were so inclined.

this lateral mobility is getting more difficult every year and will probably go away at some point. Family med physicians actually have quite a bit of flexibility in their careers. they can do kids(or not), OB (or not), derm, psych, special procedures(scopes, treadmills, vasectomies, etc or not. they can be hospitalists. they can run wt loss centers, urgent cares, 1st assist in the o.r., work in ER, run occ. med clinics, do pain management, etc. Really not much a PA could do that a family med doc could not if they were so inclined.

Is it really getting more difficult? How so?

The reason why is that in most larger markets (larger cities or suburban areas, where most people work), there is a big trend towards hiring PAs with specificity of experience. It's partly a function of supply and demand...there are just a lot more PAs than available jobs unless you are in a rural area. Also many many jobs are now falling under a corporate umbrella, so true private clinic gigs are becoming less common. HR departments are much less forgiving than a small clinic when looking at your work history.

Lateral mobility was one of the reasons I became a PA, but, like other aspects of the profession, it isn't what I thought it would be. My advice to you would be to get into family med after school if you can, this way you will have better career capital than if you jump right into a specialty. Should you not like said specialty, you will have a difficult time finding work.

The reason why is that in most larger markets (larger cities or suburban areas, where most people work), there is a big trend towards hiring PAs with specificity of experience. It's partly a function of supply and demand...there are just a lot more PAs than available jobs unless you are in a rural area. Also many many jobs are now falling under a corporate umbrella, so true private clinic gigs are becoming less common. HR departments are much less forgiving than a small clinic when looking at your work history.

Lateral mobility was one of the reasons I became a PA, but, like other aspects of the profession, it isn't what I thought it would be. My advice to you would be to get into family med after school if you can, this way you will have better career capital than if you jump right into a specialty. Should you not like said specialty, you will have a difficult time finding work.

Thanks! That's good to know!

credentialing departments want to see that skills have been done before in order to give folks the rights to do them again. I could not break into CT surgery right now without either staring at the very bottom(probably outside the o.r.) or doing a residency in C.T, surgery. one of my ER jobs now will not hire any new grad or anyone with less than 3 years of experience working in a main ER. they also give preference to folks who have passed the EM CAQ exam.

as a new grad today I would decide which specialty I wanted and do a residency in that specialty to get a procedures log and some significant experience in that specialty.

In the not so distant future I think it is likely that PAs in many fields will need to demonstrate competence either through passing a specialty exam or completing a residency or both. I think within 20 years we will probably HAVE to do at least a year of postgrad training to get licensed. the docs went through all the stages PAs are going through, they just did it 50 years ago with gradually increasing requirements for more training, then more specialty training, then more exams.

I posted a similar thread quite a while ago. I think med school can be beneficial even for older students, say up to 40-ish. The obvious problem is obviously time and commitment, but more than that, the road can potentially be a lot more dangerous. Your career could end in an instant if you fail or perform terribly on step 1. All competitive residencies close the door in your face at that point and the dream job you envisioned before entering med school spirals down the drain. The actual process of the match can't be all that comforting, even with good scores. Don't get along with one of the attending physicians during residency, well, that too could end your career. I've read several accounts where attendings have ganged up and labeled the resident "dangerous". You're all done once that happens.

There's more hoops to jump through, more work, and if you misstep, your career could be over and you're likely 250k+ in debt. Talk about pressure and risk. The PA route is a great option because you still learn a ton, it's quicker, and you're protected from some of the career ending risk you'd have to assume in MS.

I entered PA school at age 23. I most likely could have gotten into a decent medical school by age 24. I chose PA school because:

1: PAs are both treated and compensated well where I live and plan on working

2: I did not want to be a family/internal/peds physician and the thought of a 4 year+ residency really turned me off. 

3: I have investment plans that I would like to get started in ASAP

4: The lateral mobility. Sure, it might be decreasing, but it's still there for now

Obvious point: In the end, it's up to you what you want to do. Don't let others dissuade you because your life is not the same as theirs. Everyone has different goals 

I think the story of a PA getting a full ride through med school is a myth...  Why would they just give someone a full ride through med school when they have more applicants than they know what to do with who are willing to pay literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

I think the story of a PA getting a full ride through med school is a myth...  Why would they just give someone a full ride through med school when they have more applicants than they know what to do with who are willing to pay literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

I personally know 2 folks who got this deal. it isn't a free ride, it's sponsorship. in both cases a rural hospital told one of their PAs they would pay for their school if they commit to coming back to work in that community for X years after residency. Makati over at sdn (one of the mods, now a resident) is one of those folks. another was a classmate of mine.

I'm preparing for interviews and wondering what the best way to answer the question of "Why do you want to be a PA?" I know the answer is different for everyone, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas of how I can compare MD and PA. From reading these posts, it sounds like lateral mobility is decreasing, which used to be one of my answers to that original question. Is it appropriate to discuss wanting a good work/family life balance during an interview? I would also just like some other suggestions of appropriate answers.

To OP:

Accepted at 21, 2nd time applying. Excuse me for grammar issues, did not edit.

As for PA school, the reason why I chose to pursue it, of course, is for personal reasons. Each career has multiple factors that attract you to pursue it.

To be quite dogmatic, my goal is to help people, plain and simple, and I believe clinically doing so under the medical model is a great opportunity to fulfill that empty void inside of me. As a CNA, I always had the desire to provide more autonomous care, but specifically, using deductive reasoning at a professional level. Personally, I don't think medical school is right for me, considering when I become a PA, it still would fulfill the original goals I have, but, of course in a shorter period of time.

The only true difference between the two (MD/DO vs. PA) is simply compensation. Life isn't about money perse and if that's a concern, graduating as a PA early on, you'd still have opportunities to pursue other avenues while young. Some might even say MD/DOs have more autonomy, but there are many physicians who don't feel that way and don't have that much control. Regardless, I admire the dedication put forth to go through medical school. Many can argue about this back and forth. This is a general statement.

Also, becoming a PA for me at a young age would give me the fortunate opportunity to provide professional care as a career at an early stage in my life and MOST IMPORTANTLY, could possibly allow me to transition into an administrative role in medicine  years down the road, or if needed, I can go back to school while still young and not feel "old". It's all about planning the things you want to do in life. What your goals and possible options may be. Everyone of course is different. Not too mention, doing something you love at a young age, gives you all the free time to explore your hobbies, travel, have fun, again while enjoying a well-compensated career in your 20's. Some might say PA's are just as busy as docs, that's true, but of course one doesn't have to go through minimum 8+ years post-bachelors before settling down and doing what you possibly love. Med school is a big endeavor that usually caters to younger individuals, but many burnout mid-career, and to be honest, I believe there is a big misconceived notion as to what it's really like. I use to be gung-ho about it while in school and I everyone I knew was the same. Personally, the risk to go through it all and dislike it at the end is not worth it, and although I'm dedicated to medicine, I don't believe becoming a physician is the only way to express your love for a specific career in healthcare.

On a more personal note, the .mil history of the PA field attracted me to it. Coincidentally, I've always had a desire to serve and since I am interested in becoming a PA, a good option for me would be to commission, overall the career fits my personality and I genuinely enjoy the history of the field.

It's a young and growing field. Being a young PA will allow you to start early in becoming a leader for your profession, which is an ambitious goal of mine as well.

Lastly, if I would like to do a continuous year-long RTW trip after saving for a few years, which means taking a long hiatus from medicine in the U.S and traveling while doing some medical volunteer work on the side, or something of the sort, I could do so and not feel bad about it perse in regards to opportunity cost compared to someone who went through 4 years of med school + 3-8+ training, then decides to leave for a year traveling etc.

Guest MedLib42

The only true difference between the two (MD/DO vs. PA) is simply compensation. 

Definitely not the only difference. Physicians do have more autonomy than PAs, even though sometimes their actions or abilities are limited by hospital or practice management, insurance, and so on; they don't have to answer to a supervising physician, they can own practices (PAs can own practices too, but not in all areas, and they have more restrictions/stipulations), they can perform a vast many procedures that PAs can't (PAs certainly can't become neurosurgeons!), don't have the same prescribing restrictions (PAs in some areas can't prescribe certain medications), and depending on where you work, as a PA, you may struggle with lack of respect in the workplace as well. PA is also a terminal patient care oriented position for many, while physicians have the possibility of becoming chiefs, department heads, administrators/members of hospital boards, run clinical research, and so on. I don't think I covered everything, but those are some of the main points. I love the PA profession, and there are definitely many advantages. However, there are some significant differences between PA and physician that don't have to do with salary, and are worth considering if you're undecided between the two.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, will allow me to possibly transition to an administrative role in medicine after a few years of practice

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that there are very few PAs that successfully transition to administration, especially after only a few years of practice. I believe it can be done, but everywhere that I've lived and worked, the people that break into administration are 1) physicians, 2) those who have advanced degrees (and experience) in HCA and 3) sometimes (depending on the facility) nurses. I've watched PAs try and get rejected (and extremely frustrated) due to their credentials many times. I don't know if I would consider the ability to transition to administration an advantage of, or reason to pursue the PA profession at a young age. A possibility, maybe, depending on your own unique circumstances, but also a potential struggle.

I chose PA school over MD school for a few major reasons:

• I want to provide medical care to needing populations without having to gone through the long rigorous training of medical school, especially how I am interested in Primary Care. No, I am not taking a shortcut. I do not envision myself having my life revolve around nothing but medicine.
  • I also want to travel to under-resourced schools (those that are under performing) and talk about my struggles in hopes to show at-risk students they can be something more than a "statistic" given that I am a product of one. 
  • I want a career that I can enjoy while I am young with the potential to pursue other non relating fields.  
  • More importantly, I was a miserable pre-med student and I would often times go to bed thinking how I'm a failure, how I am not good enough, and felt depressed. This was a sign that I would possibly hate medical school ( can you imagine, 3 years and 200$K in and realizing how I hate it?). Even my professor notices the difference....my grades improved and I am smiling whenever I see them.  My gut told me to get out and I listened. Not turning back now :P

If I was offered a seat in Medical School and PA school simultaneously, I would opt for PA school. If I was offered a seat in an MD program, and not PA school, I would accept and defer, and try again for PA. If turned down both years, I'd accept my MD seat and move on. 

PS: I'm 21.

1.) We all know that physicians have more autonomy and opportunity. But, I still stand by compensation being the biggest difference between the two at the end of the day because in the grand scheme of it all, as I was saying in my previous post, if one isn't really inclined to specialize perse and if treating patients was your main goal, then both can fulfill that same ultimate goal, albeit in different ways depending on your ego. On the clinical side, again we all know the many differences that arise between the two, but in my view, they're minor considering personal goals, of course they may be a deciding factor for others.
2.) Also, I didn't specify, and I know I used the statement, "after a few years," which may be misleading. But, my main point was, that if one decided to change their mind, or at least want to transition to administration, one would still be very young if they went back to school for an MHA (if needed) and not worry about their age. On a side note, one can always start at a low-tier management position with six sigma certs or the alike to gain a skill set.

That's all I was trying to say in that regard.

Again, it all depends on ones own goals and intentions. I think the key thing though, at a young age, one can pursue other important ventures/opportunities while working. For example, I'd have a head start on a .mil career as a PA on the side.

Definitely not the only difference. Physicians do have more autonomy than PAs, even though sometimes their actions or abilities are limited by hospital or practice management, insurance, and so on; they don't have to answer to a supervising physician, they can own practices (PAs can own practices too, but not in all areas, and they have more restrictions/stipulations), they can perform a vast many procedures that PAs can't (PAs certainly can't become neurosurgeons!), don't have the same prescribing restrictions (PAs in some areas can't prescribe certain medications), and depending on where you work, as a PA, you may struggle with lack of respect in the workplace as well. PA is also a terminal patient care oriented position for many, while physicians have the possibility of becoming chiefs, department heads, administrators/members of hospital boards, run clinical research, and so on. I don't think I covered everything, but those are some of the main points. I love the PA profession, and there are definitely many advantages. However, there are some significant differences between PA and physician that don't have to do with salary, and are worth considering if you're undecided between the two.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that there are very few PAs that successfully transition to administration, especially after only a few years of practice. I believe it can be done, but everywhere that I've lived and worked, the people that break into administration are 1) physicians, 2) those who have advanced degrees (and experience) in HCA and 3) sometimes (depending on the facility) nurses. I've watched PAs try and get rejected (and extremely frustrated) due to their credentials many times. I don't know if I would consider the ability to transition to administration an advantage of, or reason to pursue the PA profession at a young age. A possibility, maybe, depending on your own unique circumstances, but also a potential struggle.

Guest MedLib42

1.) We all know that physicians have more autonomy and opportunity. But, I still stand by compensation being the biggest difference between the two at the end of the day because in the grand scheme of it all, as I was saying in my previous post, if one isn't really inclined to specialize perse and if treating patients was your main goal, then both can fulfill that same ultimate goal, albeit in different ways depending on your ego. On the clinical side, again we all know the many differences that arise between the two, but in my view, they're minor considering personal goals, of course they may be a deciding factor for others.

2.) Also, I didn't specify, and I know I used the statement, "after a few years," which may be misleading. But, my main point was, that if one decided to change their mind, or at least want to transition to administration, one would still be very young if they went back to school for an MHA (if needed) and not worry about their age. On a side note, one can always start at a low-tier management position with six sigma certs or the alike to gain a skill set.

That's all I was trying to say in that regard.

Again, it all depends on ones own goals and intentions. I think the key thing though, at a young age, one can pursue other important ventures/opportunities while working. For example, I'd have a head start on a .mil career as a PA on the side.

Ahh, OK. That definitely clarifies, I do get the point you're making here. 

I'm 22, I started out pre-med but after some academic boo boos I questioned whether or not I was cut out for medicine. I contemplated athletic training, computer systems, medical IT and everything pretty much led me back to medicine. I truly feel I was born to be a healthcare professional, nothing else feels right. I actually wasn't aware of the PA professional until my mom (who's an RN) was telling me about a PA she worked with. I then started to research the PA profession more and discovered it's very similar to being an MD, I could do physicals, medical history, diagnose, treat, etc. So decided hey why not try this again and go for PA. 

I have a cousin who also wants to be a PA and we're always talking about how great a profession it is. What changed her mind from medical school was seeing a PA in the OR assisting an orthopedic surgeon doing a procedure. She's like if I can do that why even go to med school. It's literally the same thing.

Also, residency really discourages me. It wouldn't bother me as much if medical school wasn't 4 years. It doesn't have to be 4 years IMO, especially after talking to 4th years and them saying that 3rd and 4th year could really be combined. But it's been that way for so long I doubt it changes. Although they are some accelerated programs but those pretty much lock you into primary care. 

Basically I want to do the basics of what an MD/DO does, but I don't necessarily have to be one. And as a PA I can do just that. 

For me personally... I Knew I didn't want med school, too long of process and couldn't see the pay out if I went into Family Practice... Also I came into undergrad with a physical therapy focus, and after spending a quarter in a PTs office I decided I wanted a greater scope of practice.

So PA school was a very easy choice for me!

Also the fact that I could be 26-27 and be in my career was very appealing!

I'm 23 now, and will be 24 when I start my program!

Just shadow both honestly, you will quickly see if the little frustrations that PAs face bother you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm preparing for interviews and wondering what the best way to answer the question of "Why do you want to be a PA?" I know the answer is different for everyone, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas of how I can compare MD and PA. From reading these posts, it sounds like lateral mobility is decreasing, which used to be one of my answers to that original question. Is it appropriate to discuss wanting a good work/family life balance during an interview? I would also just like some other suggestions of appropriate answers.

I am interested in the answer to this as well. I know PAs can work as much as an MD, but I found that when interviewing both MDs and PAs, more PAs said they felt this field allowed them to have a more favorable work/life balance. Is it appropriate to mention this in an interview? And is it okay to mention (in an interview) the shorter length of training as a reason for choosing PA?

I am interested in the answer to this as well. I know PAs can work as much as an MD, but I found that when interviewing both MDs and PAs, more PAs said they felt this field allowed them to have a more favorable work/life balance. Is it appropriate to mention this in an interview? And is it okay to mention (in an interview) the shorter length of training as a reason for choosing PA?

work/life balance in any field is what you make it. as a pa or a doc you can make choices that allow 20 hrs/week or force you into 60 hrs/week. I like 35 hrs/week but work in a specialty that often demands 50-60 hrs/week. this month I have 240 hrs, next month 206.

I am trying to reign that in and within a year hope to be working 35-45 hrs/week. we'll see how that goes...I keep asking for fewer shifts and getting 50+ hrs/mo more than I ask for to meet "the needs of the dept"....sigh....overall I think docs(other than surgeons) often have a better work/life balance than PAs. docs in my dept are not allowed to work more than 16 nine hr shifts/mo. There is no cap on PA hours and most of us work 180-220+/mo.

Archived