Alaska

Very sorry to hear about those who got the dreded letter. If you don't get a letter you may just be in the "possibility" file. They need to see how things shake out in January. Obviously MEDEX has a quality not quantity philosophy (if you got an interview you are quality even if not selected for class) so they won't fill slots just because but they do hold some potential students names for final consideration in January. I have a close friend in a current class where this exact situation happend.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the letter.  As has been said, it was exceptional to meet you all.  May you have a wonderful holiday season and new year to come.  I am sure we will meet again, Alaska is one big small town.  Good luck in January!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all.

betsy

Congrats to everyone that made it into the class. Thoughts and prayers to those that did not make it this year.

This is Brian Pierce and I received the call on Monday the 8th around 1pm. I did not realize this forum was available.

Please get ahold of me here or on FB to exchange information.  I created a MEDEX Anchorage Class Facebook page as well.

Well I am back to cautiously optimistic as I did not receive a rejection letter in the mail as of yet.  I know our mail can be delayed however all of the last minute Christmas catalogs have been getting through just fine so I expect I just need to work on my patience for another month!  Meantime I am looking at my options and will most likely register for my 2 missing courses to apply again....  Third time is a charm right?  But hopeful I won"t need it!  

Congratulations again to all those that made it.  To those like me that are waiting- try to relax and enjoy the holidays- we have done what we can.  To those waiting to interview... you have done what you can for now as well enjoy the holidays and then when you get there relax and be yourself!

Tracy

Well the dreaded letter was mailed December 9th and was delayed in the mail.  Now to decide what is next.  Good Luck everyone!  Take care!

When we interviewed together I thought you did great. You have strong work experience, especially with consideration of you already working in the village. I'm very sorry to hear the news. I would encourage you to complete those additional classes and re-apply. You will make a great PA.

Ah darn Joe-  I thought you did great as well!  I am already registered for one of my missing courses...  Trying to get into the last one.  I think one of my weak areas is not being a full time student in 25 years...  I may have to get back to town to prove I can tackle that....  We are discussing our options...  Well at least we can relax and enjoy the holidays and we know what is not coming....  :)

These are the resources I used to help me with the application and interview process. There are numerous others, but I found these very helpful: 

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Getting-Physician-Assistant-Edition/dp/007163973X

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePAcoach/videos

Blog:

http://doseofpa.blogspot.com/2014/03/physician-assistant-school-interview.html

So Alaska has only one interview?  I only applied to the Alaska site, because I live in Anchorage and it would be difficult for me to move down to Washington at this point.  I have a step son that will be a senior next year and a daughter in college at UAA that lives at home.  I have been told that they tend to interview you with people having similar back grounds. ?? I have my Bachelor's degree, have been working in public health for many years (40K hours in direct patient care), and teach Anatomy and Physiology labs at the University.  I am on the older end of the age spectrum for those that are applying, but figure I have another 20 years before I am ready to retire.  I hope to hear something soon....Good luck to you all!!

I think you're right about interviewing us with those who are similar.  I'll probably be the oldest one interviewing in Seattle in January! Like you, I have a Bachelor's degree, a ton of patient care hours, a daughter in high school and a 22 yr old who is moving back home soon.

We should arrange to meet up before our interview on the 22nd.

Marianne-  we discovered at the interview in ANC that there were 2 of us ladies either within 6 months of 50 or over. I believe most of the rest of the class was younger than us but with varied experience and backgrounds.  Many of us have thousands of patient care hours.  As I have interviewed 2 times in 3 years I don't think I am not getting in because of age-  I don't think they would waste interview slots if they did not feel we were viable candidates.  Keep trying!

I think you're right about interviewing us with those who are similar.  I'll probably be the oldest one interviewing in Seattle in January! Like you, I have a Bachelor's degree, a ton of patient care hours, a daughter in high school and a 22 yr old who is moving back home soon.

We should arrange to meet up before our interview on the 22nd.

I would love to.  I may have you beat on the age.  I have three in college (two graduating this year) and a step son who is a junior in high school.  I am a school nurse and have most of the Holiday break off, but will be out of town Dec 29-Jan 2.  My husband surprised me with a trip:)  My phone is 907-240-2227.  If you are interested we could practice interviewing.  I have a long list of questions I have compiled.  Plus it would be nice to have a friendly face at the interview.

Kim

I would love to.  I may have you beat on the age.  I have three in college (two graduating this year) and a step son who is a junior in high school.  I am a school nurse and have most of the Holiday break off, but will be out of town Dec 29-Jan 2.  My husband surprised me with a trip:)  My phone is 907-240-2227.  If you are interested we could practice interviewing.  I have a long list of questions I have compiled.  Plus it would be nice to have a friendly face at the interview.

Kim

I would love to meet up with you two prior to the Jan 22nd interview as well. I am up here in Anchorage and I am sure practicing and friendly faces will only help us!

I would love to meet up with you two prior to the Jan 22nd interview as well. I am up here in Anchorage and I am sure practicing and friendly faces will only help us!

Marianne said she was free on the 27th and 28th. I will be out of town the 29th until the 3rd. I'm not sure who else is coming from Anchorage but it would be nice to meet up ahead of time. Sounds like we have a gathering in Seattle in the works also. I guess where we meet will depend on the number of people interested. Any thoughts on where you would like to meet? Are you free that weekend?

Kim

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived