Loan Repayment Job Offers

I'm aware that the National Health Service Corps offers a loan repayment incentive of $60K to those who are willing to serve a minimum of 2 years in an underserved area. I was just curious, is there anyone out there that is currently employed in an approved NHSC clinic and getting some of their loans payed off? If yes, how much do they offer for the salary to a NEW PA graduate (aside from the loan repayment amount)? I know there are several factors that can vary (depending which state you work in, etc)..but I just wanted to get a general idea how much they would pay. Thanks!

Each site sets their own pay scale and benefits. Some of the rural sites pay extra to attract people. I was offered $92,000 in rural Texas and $90,000 in upstate New York (both involved extra hours-- in the ER or a nursing home). I think I talked to the same place in NC that bradtPA did for 67K. A Pennsylvania state prison offered $74,500. So it's all up to where you want to live and what you want. By the way, the $60,000 is tax free, so it's a really good deal!

NHSC Loan repayment should not impact your salary. My salary and benefits are very competitive and even better than other non-NHSC sites. I'm in the process of extending my contract one more year and finally being student debt free!!

What HPSA score would be considered as competitive for the Loan repayment? Thanks

Wait, I thought the higher the score, the greater need, hence better in terms of selection. I'm just wondering what score NHSC would consider high need enough.

I think it depends on the situation ... for instance, you could have a clinic with a score of 19, this means that they can hire a larger number of PAs. However, that clinic could be part of a clinic group that has 17 clinics total, thus the reason they have a need to hire more PAs. Thus, the single clinic with a lower score (which means they can only hire one midlevel provider), may still be of greater need. I'm fairly sure that's how it works, anyways.

I think these are two different numbers. One is the number of full time providers needed. The other is the HPSA score. The HPSA score is the one that counts when they are giving out money. They start with the highest HPSA score and keep doling it out downward until the money runs out. So a higher HPSA score is better. On the positive side, they start with those renewing their contracts even before the new contracts. So if you get years one and two paid, you're pretty certain to get years 3, 4, 5 paid. It all depends on how much the government is willing to put into this program each year.

So, how big is the danger of working in an NHSC-approved hospital/clinic and not getting approved after your initial 2 years due to the place of work itself falling of the list? Is the list extermely variable or pretty static? Also, what are the initial chances of approval for PAs?

I think these are two different numbers. One is the number of full time providers needed. The other is the HPSA score. The HPSA score is the one that counts when they are giving out money. They start with the highest HPSA score and keep doling it out downward until the money runs out. So a higher HPSA score is better. On the positive side, they start with those renewing their contracts even before the new contracts. So if you get years one and two paid, you're pretty certain to get years 3, 4, 5 paid. It all depends on how much the government is willing to put into this program each year.

I know, that makes sense, and I see on the HPSA site the two different designations. Still, on the NHSC site I saw about the other bit ... I'm going to call one of the NHSC ambassadors tomorrow and find out the lowdown for this showdown.

No and yes ... you go onto the NHSC site, look up the clinics in the areas you're interested, and apply to their listed contact information. When I spoke to an ambassador some time back, they told me that IF a site were to not work out, then they would try and accomodate you somewhere closeby, but that ultimately they would have to place you somewhere in need if it came down to it.

I am currently in the NHSC loan repayor program. I chose my place of employment and they then in turn registered for the NHSC so I could apply for funding. The score here is a 13 and I got funded.

How difficult was it for your employer to go through the registration process? Did you ask them to register as part of your terms of employment and did they already meet the NHSC criteria?

Each HSPA site can only accept 2 new LRP participants per degree per year (not including extensions - so if 3 of you get hired at the same time and all apply for LRP, only 2 can be selected). They can have more total at any given time, but only 2 new each year. I work at a clinic with 7 PAs and 3 MD/DOs on loan repayment. I think our HPSA score is 10 or 12, no one has had an issue with getting approved. We recently had a meeting with an NHSC employee who explained that even if the clinic's score was downgraded, the NHSC would move us to another site to complete our commitment. They would try to keep that new clinic in a local/acceptable location, but in the end they can choose Guam if that's the only opening they have.

My question is this: How much input will I have as to where I am assigned to work? Does anyone know how this all works and can offer some advice? Am I totally at the mercy of the (gasp) federal government??

If you are a scholar, they can send you where they need you. If you are LRP recipient, you find your job and apply for the program, they have no say in where you work.

Did not seem hard on their part, many different forms to file. The agreement was they go through the process and then it was based on my successful application. If I was funded didnt "cost" them any money, if I was not funded my contract included a repayment clause from the clinic.

I spoke with the NHSC and you are correct, the score is what matters, but they said that yes there are also other factors that can come into play. For instance, if a hospital is part of the clinic's network (if there is one), this can result in more spots being stated as open for providers. But generally, the higher the number, the higher the need.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just gotten my award for NHSC loan repayment. I found a job that was in a high HPSA area and kept my fingers crossed that I would receive funding when I applied. I took this job because it was what I wanted to do and it was a great place to work, and if I got the 60K to put toward my loans it would be icing on the cake. Also, from what I have heard the HPSA score doesn't matter as much in the early phases of the application cycle, but it becomes MUCH more important as the funds are dwindling. I applied in early Dec 2010 and have just finally heard I was accepted for an award. It is not a process for the faint of heart, as it can be frustrating dealing with all the "hurry up and wait", but as long as you took the job because you WANTED to work there (not ONLY for the loan repayment) you will be fine. For those who are thinking about the loan repayment, understand there are very stiff penalties if you don't fulfill your two year contract....so make sure you will want to be at the place for two years before you sign on the dotted line! :)

So, then is this program for recent grads or people with tons of experience? I looked into this a bit and assumed that, like the military, it was more geared towards loan repayment for postgrads. If I'm wrong about this, is it even possible for recent grads to secure this type of program? Is it very difficult to get into?

Archived