Need Realistic Advice about Getting in PA school

Hi I just want to get some opinions on my chances of getting into PA school.  I just finished 2 years of pre-reqs and finished my CASPA application.  Unfortunately when I was in undergrad my grades suffered due to college athletics, ran in XC and track and field, and being undecided on a degree plan. I ended up with degrees in Exercise Sports Science and Health and Wellness Promotion and finished with a 2.6 GPA.  After a couple of years experience working in corporate fitness as an Athletic Director, I grew up and went back and got my Master's in Sports Management and ended up with a 3.3 GPA.  It was a great experience and did my internship with the Final Four.  I got married and we ended moving to a town where I had to basically start over.  Fortunately, I got a job working as a PTA and did that for a year for an orthopedic surgeon and shadowed PA's while in that position. After he closed his PT clinic I got a job teaching PE and Health and coached Cross Country and Track and Field and the college level.  Recently I got divorced and went back to school and took my science/prereq classes which I ended up with a  3.9 GPA.  During this time I got accepted to NURSING SCHOOLarrow-10x10.png and contemplated whether I should do it since PA was my ultimate goal.  After a semester of classes and clinicals I told my instructors that I was going to leave the program because I wanted to continue my pursuit of becoming a PA.  I had two more chemistry classes and found that it was nearly impossible to take those classes along with nursing school.   I left on good terms and they understood my passion.  (As a matter of fact one of them wrote me a letter of recommendation). Anyway, because my undergrad GPA was so low, 2.55, my cumulative calculation with my Master's 3.3 GPA, and science GPA of 3.9 come out to a pathetic 2.9.  I didn't realize that my GPA would barely move an inch with these recent classes.  I am so disappointed and feel like I wasted 2 years of school.  I devoted so much time and effort and worked so hard to get straight A's.  Now after realizing my GPA barely moved did I waste my time for nothing?  I am realist and can take the truth.  :-) 

nicfaune,

You're not alone in your less than desirable early GPA.  I didn't have sports as my reason, I majored in social life.  You need to seek out programs that consider students that started out with a low GPA but showed improved as they moved through their college careers and life.

What programs are you looking at and what are your thoughts on relocating to go to school?

Take a look at this thread.  There are some schools listed that take into consideration a high GPA for the last 45-60 credits vs. a low start.

I, personally, am looking into Rutgers.  There website addresses the issue specifically and I was wait-listed last year and hoping to get in this year.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/12696-last-45-60-credit-gpa-schools/ 

If you can get your GPA to 3 and apply very very broadly for two cycles I think you will get in maybe even on first cycle. No one would fault you for going direct entry NP or DO which honors grade replacement. For pa the key is reach 3.0, explain yourself in a stellar personal statement, and try to shadow and volunteer more as time permits. That is my point blank opinion.

agree with above post.  Closer to 20 schools would be better. You're going through the painstaking CASPA process anyway, if you really want to get into PA school, give yourself the best chance possible. I was told at one of my interviews that one individual had told the adcom they applied to 42 programs.....That's a bit aggressive, but I'll go out on a limb and say that they got in somewhere. 

Finishing nursing school would have probably put you above the magical 3.0 mark, but what's done is done. I would continue to take classes and apply VERY broadly.

I was thinking this. I just didn't know how to put it delicately. Could've taken the 2 chem classes while working for a year or two as an RN. RN experience is top tier, and you would've gotten the science GPA boost from the 40-60 credit hours. Secondly, having diverse experience as a PTA and RN would've made your app stand out as well as pushed you out of the average range for HCE hours.

At this point, figure out how many credits at a 4.0 will get your GPAs to 3.0. While taking classes post bacc, I'd continue accruing HCE. And definitely apply to more than 6 programs...How are your GRE scores?

Wow, I have heard of people applying for 10 schools but 20 is a bit much.  Thats a lot money.  As far as nursing school goes I didn't enjoy it at all and don't see myself doing it as a profession even if I don't get into PA.  If PA school fails then I plan on going to PT school since i have experience in that field. Also, I have 2500 hours of medical experience with 250 hours of PA shadowing. 

Also, going through the nursing program would put me out a couple of years before I started PA school.  I am trying get in and out of school as soon as possible and not waste a bunch of money.  Going to nursing school would cost over 20,000 dollars and then going to PA school would be almost 100,000.  I feel as though it would be ridiculous to spend  that additional money. Basically I am just trying to figure out if I have a shot right now and is it possible to get into PA school with a 2.9 GPA.  I am taking a genetics class and and 2 other classes in fall so I think that will pull me up to a 3.0...lets hope. 

Wow, I have heard of people applying for 10 schools but 20 is a bit much.  Thats a lot money.  As far as nursing school goes I didn't enjoy it at all and don't see myself doing it as a profession even if I don't get into PA.  If PA school fails then I plan on going to PT school since i have experience in that field. Also, I have 2500 hours of medical experience with 250 hours of PA shadowing. 

It is not going to cost as much money as you would loose if you had to wait a year to make a PA salary.  Understand you are competing with people with 3.4-40 GPAs and that the average accepted applicant has close to 4500 hours of medical experience.     Your high later GPA will help a lot, but you are going to need to cast a net far and wide.  People with more competitive apps apply to 6-10 on average.  In your case i would do the 15-20.  It is a lot cheaper than not getting in and you will be coughing that money up again next year if you don't get in anyways. I personally applied to 10, got interviews at 5, directly into 2, into one after waitlist, and stuck on waitlist at 1.  This was with a 3.4 gpa, 3.5 sgpa, 3000+ hours as an EMT and Cardiac Tech.  My last 130 hours (aka a whole bachelor degree) was like 3.94 or something. I had 20 something hours of F from my first few semesters.  While your situation is similar to mine, you will be applying from the very bottom edge of acceptable GPA.  I would cough up the extra 500$ personally.

As for the 2.9 GPA, you don't really have a great chance.  If you don't meet the min reqs for your schools they WILL throw your app out.  They have 1000-2000 apps to go through.  There are a couple of schools that will allow you to apply with less that 3.0 but that does not mean they are accepting many people from that gpa range.  I would suggest pulling up a GPA calculator and finding out what you need to do to get above 3.0 and do whatever it takes to get there.  If you can't get there, stick to applying to schools that allow <3.0 grades so that you don't waste your money.

Good luck! It is a tough road but there are a bunch of people on this forum that have done it and your situation is far less hopeless than some.

Hmmm I  might just go the PT route after this go around especially since I have a lot of experience in that field.  I like the problem solving aspect of the medical field and didn't feel that nursing school fulfilled that desire.  After doing clinicals in nursing school I was turned off by the occupation.  Its unfortunate but I don't want to spend years grasping for something that thats not realistic.  I appreciate the opinions. Take care

I hesitated when posting this because informing people of schools lowers my chances of getting in ha, but I believe that a helping hand from a stranger can make a difference.  I've definitely had strangers help me when they didn't have to so here it goes.  I am applying to PA school this year and my GPA is sitting in the low 3.0 area as well.  I have a master’s degree in public health and a few hundred hours of HCE.  I'm only 24 so I have not had a lot of time to work due to school.  The list below are the schools that I applied to and I have also listed there GPA requirement and deadlines.  All of them have a GPA requirement of 3.0 or less.  This is great for people like us who may want to apply to schools a little less competitive GPA wise.  These schools tend to care more about the person as a whole rather than just numbers on a page.  I'm assuming you have a family so moving may not be a realistic option, but I thought I'd mention them anyways.  I live in Arkansas so all these schools that I applied to are in the South.

If it makes you feel any better Christian Brothers invited me for an interview this Thursday, 07/17/14.  IT IS POSSIBLE!  You can do it!

(Does not use CASPA) Christian Brothers University, Memphis TN - No GPA minimum.  Application deadline July 1st 2014.

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock - Recommended 3.0 overall GPA, and recommended prerequisite GPA 3.0. Application deadline December 1st 2014

LSU Shreveport - 2.9 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st 2014

Oklahoma Tulsa - 2.75 GPA and 2.75 prerequisite GPA.  Application deadline October 1st.

University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis - 2.75 overall and prerequisite GPA.  Application deadline September 1st 2014.

University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth - 2.85 overall GPA. Application deadline November 1st 2014

Baylor- 3.0 overall GPA. Application deadline September 1st 2014

(Does not use CASPA) Oklahoma City - 2.75 overall GPA. Application deadline October 1st.

Please note that these are overall GPA's not science GPA'S.  Also, Harding University in Searcy Arkansas is another good choice.  They are a church of Christ school and I hear that they care more about the whole person than just the GPA.  These are all schools worth looking into if you're ok with living in the South. 

Also, remember that schools look at what you've been doing presently, not just what happened in the past.  You're not the same person that you were a few years ago.  Just make sure you note how've you've changed in your personal essay.

Hope this helps.

Have you looked into or applied to Yale University PA Program?  They only look at your science GPA.  

Your varied history and experience should be fully reflected in your personal statement so as to demonstrate the path you have taken to get to the PA profession and why it is the best career choice for you.  Also make sure you rock the GRE.  The easiest way to increase your verbal score is through studying vocabulary.  Finally keep accruing HCE and shadowing in various areas of practice so you can pull from those experiences during an interview.  They will also help you fully understand the various roles and relationships PAs encounter in the workplace.  

As far as number of programs I would at least double your number to 12 and if you only want to apply once then choose a variety of schools (locations, type of program, etc).

Archived