MD Countersignature for Prescriptions in NY?

So I recently got into a discussion with an NP student that I work with about PAs. His ex-girlfriend is a PA, so he claims to have knowledge of what PAs do.

One of the things he said was that PAs here in NY have to have their prescriptions countersigned by the SP. I told him that I'd never heard anything like that before, and he asked me if I wanted to speak to his ex about it. Obviously I told him it wasn't that serious, however I tried to do my own research.

I came across this which says:

"Prescriptions and medical orders may be written by PA when assigned by supervising physician. PA may write Rx for

patients under supervising physician’s care. Rx must be written on blank of supervising physician and shall include name,

address and phone number of supervising physician, plus name, address, age of patient and date on which Rx written. PA

signs such Rx by printing name of supervising physician, his own name and signature, followed by “RPA” and registration

number.

Prescriptions for controlled substances (Schedules III-V) must be written on official New York State forms issued to the

PA. Must contain printed name, address, DEA registration number, telephone number and handwritten signature of

prescribing PA. (Must also include Rx information as required above.) PAs may not write prescriptions for Schedule II

controlled substances."

Now, I'm a little confused on this. Earlier in the article, it says that PAs may prescribe Schedule II-V substances, while in the above excerpt, it says they cannot prescribe Schedule II. As far as the initial concern though, I see that the PA only has to write the name of the SP (in addition to their own information), but doesn't have to have it signed by them. The sentence-"Prescriptions and medical orders may be written by PA when assigned by supervising physician." is a little weird to me as well.

Anyway, its amazing to me how many NPs and NP students view PAs, and this student in particular claims that PAs are the "doctor's b***h", while simultaneously claiming that they go through medical school in 2 years. While I ignore much of what he says, I was just interested in the issue of prescriptions in NY.

I'm not sure where you found your information but you are correct it's a bit confusing or perhaps outdated.

Here is a quote from the NYS DOH website regarding PA prescription writing

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/doctors/conduct/physician_assistant.htm

F. Prescriptions

In an outpatient setting, the PA may prescribe all medications, including Schedule II - V controlled substances, if delegated by the supervising physician. PAs may apply to the DEA to obtain their own, individual registration numbers as "mid-level practitioners." Once duly registered by the DEA, they may prescribe Schedules II, III, IV and V drugs, in compliance with Article 33 of the Public Health Law and Part 80 and Part 94.2 of Title 10 regulations. Such prescribing is also subject to any limitations imposed by the supervising physician and/or clinic or hospital where such prescribing activity may occur. PAs shall register with the Department of Health in order to be issued official New York State prescription forms. Official New York State prescription forms issued to the PA are imprinted with the names of both the PA and the supervising physician. If a PA utilizes an official prescription issued to a hospital or clinic, the PA must stamp or type his or her name and the name of the supervising physician on the official prescription.

Thanks for the info.

In doing further research, I found that NPs in New York also must have collaborating physicians (whose role doesn't seem to be that different from the SP of PAs), with chart review. I couldn't find anything on whether they need the CP's name on prescriptions, however I noticed that other states require that for NPs.

Anyway, thanks for the help again.

HOnestly NY is just a pissy state for RX writing. We have a patient (Im in Orlando) that lives in NY and we have to write each and every RX on a seperate sheet...wouldnt be so bad but the guy is on like 17 things. Then drugs that usually just require a DEA number cant be called in and I have to FedX his RX to him if he waits till the last minute to tell us what he needs....Im so glad he finally moved back to FL

PAs do not need their SP to co-sign prescriptions in NY. We have official NYS rx pads imprinted with our and our SP's names, and with our own DEA #, we write schedule II and on. I work in private practice and EM, and no one co-signs prescriptions. That would take forever! It is true, however, that controlled substances cannot be called into pharmacies in NY. But that is the rule regardless of whether an MD or PA is prescribing. Your NP student friend is misinformed.

Archived