I have my fancy card that says Physician Extender on the bottom of it recognizing that I attended an ATLS course. This was done back in 2010 and I am set to expire Sept 2014. I was under the impression, when I took the initial class, that I cannot recertify but rather will have to sit in on the entire class. Is this correct, does anyone know?

Thanks

I've never taken ATLS but will try to sometime this year (I'm a new FM intern). In the past 10 work days I've done full 2-day courses for ACLS and PALS (my last recert was some crap called ASHI not AHA so they wouldn't honor it although not expired) and full CPR/BLS, EKG for providers and NRP. I have certification course fatigue...we do ALSO in 2 wk.

I've never taken ATLS but will try to sometime this year (I'm a new FM intern). In the past 10 work days I've done full 2-day courses for ACLS and PALS (my last recert was some crap called ASHI not AHA so they wouldn't honor it although not expired) and full CPR/BLS, EKG for providers and NRP. I have certification course fatigue...we do ALSO in 2 wk.

ALSO is a great course. do APLS is you get a chance at some point as well.

Well these are all mandatory lol...APLS and ATLS are not. When I'm a little less tired I will look into them. There's also a critical care course too that I need to do (FCCS??) but is not required.

I was worried I would have to cram for cat I CME as my NCCPA renewal is due this December (last time I will renew) and NCCPA won't approve any of my med school courses for cat I (I have hundreds of hours of cat II lol). Guess I won't need to scramble for cat I hours now lol. (I didn't realize but we don't accrue any CME hours during residency--not until you pass specialty boards then your clock starts for certification maintenance).

On a side note, how many folks actually retain any of the ACLS, PALS, ATLS, APLS coursework if you don't use it on a daily basis?  The fact that employers require it when an individual wouldn't recognize a cardiac arrest if one occurred right in front of them makes me wonder why it is made to be a mandatory requirement?  It's the old adage, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Meh. I've done ACLS and PALS 7 times now and CPR/BLS probably 10 or more. It's interesting how much things have changed in 15-20 years so I think it's necessary to maintain these certs. Over time with so many certifications to maintain that gets more burdensome so I will more likely pick and choose what I know I will use. But retention is generally my strong suit--thank goodness for a keen memory ????

Guest Paula

My ACLS, CALS and PALS have all expired.  I will not renew them unless I go back to locums work in UC/EM which is not in my plan.  My clinic requires only BLS so that is what I maintain. 

Quiz:  Who knows what CALS stands for?

Comprehensive Advanced Life Support!! The entire staff was doing this when I did my ER rotation. Someday, I'll probably do this as well.

I've looked at this course and it seems redundant if you have acls/atls/pals/difficult airway/also/apls/abls/fccs

I've looked at this course and it seems redundant if you have acls/atls/pals/difficult airway/also/apls/abls/fccs

Agreed, and "if."

I think the point at that location was it was the only required course. I could be wrong. For me, only having ACLS, BLS and NRP, it might be a good thing?

Well these are all mandatory lol...APLS and ATLS are not. When I'm a little less tired I will look into them. There's also a critical care course too that I need to do (FCCS??) but is not required.

I was worried I would have to cram for cat I CME as my NCCPA renewal is due this December (last time I will renew) and NCCPA won't approve any of my med school courses for cat I (I have hundreds of hours of cat II lol). Guess I won't need to scramble for cat I hours now lol. (I didn't realize but we don't accrue any CME hours during residency--not until you pass specialty boards then your clock starts for certification maintenance).

FCCS and APLS are IMHO the only two cert courses that are clinically applicable and very good courses to boot...ATLS if you don't work in trauma surg I guess, but I did when  took it and found myself teaching the docs in the course...

FCCS and APLS are IMHO the only two cert courses that are clinically applicable and very good courses to boot...ATLS if you don't work in trauma surg I guess, but I did when  took it and found myself teaching the docs in the course...

ALSO and the difficult airway course are great if you work in em or expect to do overseas work.

I can get a lot of my cert courses for free through work and various disaster teams so my current list looks like this:

1. N.C.C.P.A. Board Certified with Surgical and Primary Care Honors

2. N.C.C.P.A. Certificate of Added Qualifications in Emergency Medicine, Inaugural exam 9/12/11

3. X and Y State P.A. Medical Licenses

4. D.E.A. Certification, Schedule II-V

5. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (A.C.L.S.)

6. Advanced Trauma Life Support (A.T.L.S.)

7. Advanced Pediatric Life Support (A.P.L.S.)

8. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (P.A.L.S.)

9. Advanced Burn Life Support (A.B.L.S.)

10. Fundamental Critical Care Support (F.C.C.S.)

11. Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (A.L.S.O.)

12. Basic Disaster Life Support (B.D.L.S.)

13. The Difficult Airway Course  

14. FAST Plus Emergency Ultrasound Course

15. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for Health Providers (C.P.R.)

I previously had NALS/NRP which I didn't find helpful. I also had BTLS(now ITLS-great medic level course), and had PHTLS and was an instructor for that course and an acls instructor for many years.

Guest Paula

I received a scholarship to go to CALS back in 2007 or so.  Since I worked fairly alone on the reservation and the course was being taught nearby I went.  It was pretty good and was before I got PALS certified.  My cert ran out 2012 but by then I was back in FP and that's when I let it all go except BLS.  It actually was a relief not to have to keep up all the certs especially since I made a conscious decision to end my locums EM/UC positions.  Was getting burned out working a full-time job and that, plus decided EM/UC is not my passion. (Plus kids were all out of college by then and no need to chase the money just for money's sake).

I still admire all you EM PAs who can do that day in and day out. 

Archived