Hours?

It's going to vary QUITE a lot, so I may as well go first, seeing as how I've got to be some kind of outlier.

Regular schedule: Mon 5p-9p // Tu 5p-9p // Wed-Fri OFF // Sat 9a-5p (q2 weekends) // Sun 12n-5p (q2 weekends)

I do plan to moonlight in the ED as well, but I'm still only about 4 months into this new job, so for now it's full-time Dad plus the above. I'll probably add some 3p-11p or 3p-1a shifts, four or five a month.

left my last ER job due to the hours - PA scheduler and she was horrible with a capital H - never could get things right - sometimes would work 5 days straight 912-15 hour days) then a block of time off with a single day of work thrown in the middle just to screw you up.

Oh yeah and the ER overflow capacity was the PA staying late - not a a good plan.....

Course the scheduler had a cherry schedule as she took every good shift for herself.... good riddens to that job

some weeks - 80+ hours with no sleep and being MIA to the family, then all sorts of crazy time off but never enough to get rested

I was on track for 2200 hours of actual work in one year (40 hours/week for 52 weeks a year is 2080 - with NO VACATION) Not for me (and my thought process sucks after 13 hours so it was pretty bad for the pateints as well.....)

• 2 weeks later...

I just started work in an ED, and I'm contracted to work 156 hours a month. We usually work 12 hour shifts, so 13 a month, but some of the othe mid-levels are contracted for more and some less. We are doing some 10 hour shifts now, with the latest shift lasting until 2 am, and the earliest shift starting at 10 am, so it's not too bad and perfect for a late riser like myself! haha

I work in orthopedic surgery. Regular schedule is monday 8-5 in the office tuesday and thursday 8-4 (often out early if we our schedule is not full), wed. 8-7 in the office, friday 7:30-5. I will work some occasional weeknights if our surgical schedule is full and there are things that need to get fixed.

my typical week is 45 hrs avg over a month between 4 different facilities.

feb14-march 10 I am working 220 hrs( in 24 days) due to sick leaves at 3 of the 4 facilities.

the nice thing about emergency medicine is that you can work as much or as little as you want.

per diem work only? check

part time with or without benefits? check

full time with or without benefits? check

crazy hrs with or without benefits? check( a colleague of mine worked 300-350+ hrs/mo for 5 yrs due to some serious financial issues. it's out there if you want it.)

Archived