start 2015 (class of 2017)

Hi guys!

Since I'm working on my application now, I thought I'd start a thread. Where are y'all on your applications, and when are you hoping to get them submitted by? Who are you getting your LORs from? How are your grades/GRE scores/clinical hours? And the question I'm probably most interested in: Why did you pick Wingate to apply to?

Hello! I am applying to Wingate as well and I finished my application and was verified in May. I  received an interview invitation for September. My LORs are from my clinical supervisor, a PA and a professor. I have a little over 1000 direct patient hours and about 2000 indirect hours. I am applying to Wingate for a few reasons, mainly location, small class size, and appreciation of their mission statement. How about you?

Haha, I forgot to put my own stats up!

GRE - (V+Q) = 328

QPA - 3.71

clinical hours - none yet, but I'm starting full time work as a nurse aide shortly, so I'll be able to meet the January deadline

shadowing - about 25 so far

I'm applying to Wingate, Wake Forest, Methodist, Trevecca, South College, and Lincoln Memorial. I'm from Ohio, but I wound up picking all schools in NC and TN. I picked Wingate because of the location, the fact that they allow and even encourage out-of-state clinical rotations, and they seem to have plenty of rural placements (and I definitely want at least one).

I have one LOR submitted already from a biology professor who I took several classes with. I'm at a bit of a loss finding a HCP to be one of my references, since my shadowing has been so sporadic due to a move and I haven't started work yet. For the third, I'm torn between two previous bosses and my research advisor.

You're so on top of it, already having your application in!

Hi Everyone,

I am applying to Wingate also.  I am submitting my application on Friday.  I have been out of undergrad school since 2001 so I had to retake all of my prereqs.  I also have a masters in Acupuncture.  I currently have more than 7000 HCE and about 100 hours of shadowing a PA.  I am unsure of my GPA right now since I am currently taking a couple of classes to finish up prereqs.  I chose Wingate because of the location and I would be closer to family.  I have two children and I would need plenty of support while in school.  I also love that they offer small class sizes and the campus is absolutely beautiful.  Everyone is so nice and Marie (admission Coordinator) really wants you to succeed and says that everyone has your best interest at heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!! I am working on finishing up my application to submit any day now. Just waiting on another letter of reference!

I completed my undergrad in 2012 and been working as a medical assistant ever since. I am working on taking more classes in order to raise my GPA because it is literally the worst part of my application. Too much partying. I definitely learned some valuable lessons there! I am really hoping that Wingate, and the other schools that I am applying to, will either recalculate GPAs, not use CASPAs, or look beyond some of my serious flaws **cough physics and biochem cough** ;) 

I chose Wingate, and all of my other schools, because they are in the Southeast! Plus small, private schools. I went to college in Michigan and NEVER want to leave the South again! ;)

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I just submitted my application last night! But I am waiting on a final LOR to be sent through CASPA. I am also continuing to take classes, so I will have to update the program often as I complete those. But I will post if I hear anything back soon!

@soei When did you submit your application??

I applied to Wingate through CASPA on 06/15. I received an email 07/29 for an interview 10/28.

I went to tour the campus in late June. Based on the conversation I had with admissions, it sounds as if one person is initially reviewing all applications. She mentioned that she will review applications for a few weeks from one campus then switch to the other campus. The email mentioned each interview has no more than 6 interviewees at a time and 10/28 is the 8th interview day for this cycle. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

@pdjags: I submitted my CASPA at the beginning of July, so it took a while to hear back. A while back I had sent an email to confirm all my application materials had been received, and Marie said things were moving a little slowly as she was going to be in and out of the office for a bit, so I'm sure they're still backlogged.

Hello, I have applied and caspa was verified today

Some stats

Caspa GPA-3.86

Undergrad-4.0

Gre verbal 136 and math 144 analytical-3.5

Health care hours-562

Other hands on hours- 205

Community work -3120 hours

Pa shadowing -40 hours

3 strong recommendations.

Don't know how I feel about it or what to expect?

@apple687 WOAH! You have some stellar GPAs there. That's great. However, your GRE score is a crazy red flag. What happened!? Do you plan to retake the GRE? But maybe it doesn't necessarily matter. I didn't see a minimum GRE score for Wingate's. But I think some schools look at it and it gives them an idea of how you might do on the PANCE in the years to come - since they are both standardized tests. Just a thought! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived