$25,000... how far would you drive for the difference in salary?

Recently offered a full time job about 85 miles away, 3 to 4 shifts a week including weekends with $25,000 more than offered at my current job of 8 hrs Monday to Friday which is 25 miles away. Leaning toward drivng 85 miles at this time of course financially but it offers main ED training that I have been longing.

85 miles... usually not much of traffic... hmmm.. doable for years to come?

why can't you move?

I wouldn't do it for money, but would do it for scope of practice, good training, and good autonomy.

I have an ok regular job that pays well and has good benefits.

I drive 63 miles to one per diem job and 115 to another for the reasons listed above.

my first job was 75 min from home (63 miles in L.A. traffic). it was a good first job with great training. I couldn't live closer because we needed to be close to my wife's grad school as well. we managed it for 2 years and left as soon as she was done with school.

I would do it at least for 1-2 years to get the training, then you can reassess from there.

Have a business here with house and all. Would hate to see my kids change school neither. Going from having three or four attending with seven to eight residents to one attending and at most two PAs... expecting a great deal of learning curves... contract calls for two years.. little hesitant on two but hay.. gotta loose some to gain some..

when I drive 115 miles to one of my per diem jobs I work 3-4 days in a row then drive home.

when I drive 63 miles to my other per diem job the shifts are either 12s or 24s and I drive home after each shift.

one nice thing about long drives is the ability to rack up lots of cme on audio digest. take pretest, drive and listen to tape, take post test on arrival.

85 miles = like 3+ hours of driving (have to go to and fro)

add 9 hours onto the weekly number of hours worked

figure out the hourly rate for the 3+ hours of driving ON TOP of your shift.....

this is not including the toll it takes on you... I drove one hour each way for less then a year before I said the heck with it...... it was not worth it...... and that was the year I made the most in my career as a PA.....  fat bank account went with my fat gut from no exercise, no free time......

It is thd hospital I spent about four month rotating as a student. Bearly any local congestion. Usually straight shot to and from just over an hour and some change as two interstate highways except rush hour in where I live, then who knows how long...

I was thinking the same thing. If a day off inbetween, will commute, if a couple days, should stay local.

I did seriously consider residency and currently have applied but financially and family wise, just can't happen. Thought the next best thing if I ever wanted to work more than fasttrack.. not that I do not enjoy but after two years in and seeing how residents who came in with me have developed further....

I started as a medic, became nurse, worked in med surg then wanted more.. became icu nurse.. still wanted more and became a pa.. I think I am still wanting more.. but still have to provide for my family.. I thi k it will be a happy medium... well. Not so happy medium... haha..

Archived