Odds and last few months of preparation

Good day!

I'm writing to seek opinions on the strength of my application towards PA programs this fall as well as tips for preparation. This is my first post so if I'm in the wrong area or these types of posts are a pain, my apologies!

Stats:

22 Male

Senior attending a respected Florida University

Double major - Gerontology and Biomedical Sciences (155 Credits)

Overall GPA 3.6  - The vast majority of my Gerontology courses taken were of the highest course level offered for undergraduate students. The classes covered everything from social, physical and psychological changes with aging.

Science GPA 3.6  - Including Organic I/II Biochemistry Microbiology Immunology Genetics etc.

No GRE - My list of 10 or so schools that I'm applying to in Penn/NY don't require it.

Experience:

150 hrs of observing therapy services between 2 clinics and a hospital.

150 hrs of observing a chiropractor

100 hrs volunteering at the hospital emergency department directly assisting patients (Continuing this summer)

100 hrs observing physicians/PAs. - I've had the worst time seeking additional hours in this category - I simply haven't been able to find many willing clinicians.

Lifetime experience of healthcare after my mother was in a car accident in 2001 shattering 17 bones - this will be inspiration towards essays.

It's too late for me to seek a clinical job as I'm applying here within  a few months; I do regret not seeking one earlier but there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm applying to schools throughout the northeast primarily - PA and NY mostly. Otherwise, advice for my last few months before applying and opinions towards my application odds are welcome!

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Alright so it's clear I'm lacking in direct experience so my applying will need to be strategic to schools who will weigh academics more than experience. Does anyone have information on schools that fit the profile? Some on my list that state much lower minimum healthcare experience include NY Hofstra, NYIT, NY Daemen, PCOM, PA Seton Hill, PhilaU, PA University of the sciences.

I agree with the others.  Your academics are very solid (IMO) but the lack of HCE will hurt your chances.  Make sure you have a killer narrative and try to go to open house sessions to get additional information they do not provide over the phone.  Good luck!

It's May. I would go back to the ER and volunteer some more. It's something you can do now that might increase your chances for this year's application.

Make the best of who you are, where you are. Look carefully at each school's required HCE. Some want a lot and some don't care as much.

Good luck.

Alright so it's clear I'm lacking in direct experience so my applying will need to be strategic to schools who will weigh academics more than experience. Does anyone have information on schools that fit the profile? Some on my list that state much lower minimum healthcare experience include NY Hofstra, NYIT, NY Daemen, PCOM, PA Seton Hill, PhilaU, PA University of the sciences.

It's May. I would go back to the ER and volunteer some more. It's something you can do now that might increase your chances for this year's application.

Make the best of who you are, where you are. Look carefully at each school's required HCE. Some want a lot and some don't care as much.

Good luck.

Hey UGo!

I'm definitely continuing volunteering this summer in the ER. My post I just made mentions aiming at those schools so if you have any further imput let me know!

I like your plan; I like plans that start with who you are and not who you wished you were. In a perfect world you would have tons of experience, but you don't. And it sounds like you've done your research as to local schools that don't require lots of it. 

I don't have a list of who wants what, but it sounds like you do. That and Google will take you far!

Good luck!

PS. I started as an ER volunteer, having blundered into an open house for a new hospital. Much has led from that bit of serendipity. Hopefully for you too!

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet: there are three major stats schools look at: GPA, HCE, and GRE. You're good-but-not-great on the most important one, weak on one, and not even bothering with the other (which can be done without a whole lot of trouble).

You have to understand that there is a difference between requirements and preferences. Just because a school doesn't require HCE or GRE scores doesn't mean they won't show preference to someone has them over someone who doesn't. All accepted applicants will exceed the minimum requirements in some areas. 

I think if you really want to sell yourself as an applicant with strong academics then you should at least try to study for the GRE and see if you can get your practice exam scores up to a respectable level.

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet: there are three major stats schools look at: GPA, HCE, and GRE. You're good-but-not-great on the most important one, weak on one, and not even bothering with the other (which can be done without a whole lot of trouble).

You have to understand that there is a difference between requirements and preferences. Just because a school doesn't require HCE or GRE scores doesn't mean they won't show preference to someone has them over someone who doesn't. All accepted applicants will exceed the minimum requirements in some areas. 

I think if you really want to sell yourself as an applicant with strong academics then you should at least try to study for the GRE and see if you can get your practice exam scores up to a respectable level.

Interesting... like half of the schools I mentioned don't accept the GRE, and the other half says it isn't required.. Can anyone second that schools show preference to GRE takers when it isn't even listed as an application requirement? I really feel like people take my double major lightly as well; I haven't met anyone on campus besides myself graduating with both BS and BA degrees.. I was really hoping it would be more advantageous- especially Gerontology.

Interesting... like half of the schools I mentioned don't accept the GRE, and the other half says it isn't required.. Can anyone second that schools show preference to GRE takers when it isn't even listed as an application requirement? I really feel like people take my double major lightly as well; I haven't met anyone on campus besides myself graduating with both BS and BA degrees.. I was really hoping it would be more advantageous- especially Gerontology.

I didn't even realize there are schools that don't accept the GRE. Are you saying they won't even look at the scores?

I should have made this clearer: I don't think you'll improve your odd by the mere fact that you've taken the GRE, at least not at the schools on your list. You'll improve your odds by scoring well on the GRE. Your academic record is indeed quite good as is. I think your double major will definitely work in your favor, but probably not as much as it should.

It's my belief that anything required by some schools will improve your chances at the others, and the GRE is a relatively low-cost (in both time and money) way to do that. Where your GPA took years of hard work and dedication, your GRE can be conquered in relatively little time -- less than the time of a single course. Maybe it won't make as big a difference as I think it will, but I still think a couple weeks of preparation and practice could prove to be well worth the investment.

At any rate, I am hardly an expert on these matters. These are just my opinions.

It's great that you double majored, but at the end of the day undergraduate work/GPA is only a component of the entire package schools look at. Conversely, an applicant won't be competitive based simply on their HCE if they have a terrible GPA. Their best bet would he to then apply to schools who value HCE over GPA. I think it's important you find that balance between the two. Continue to volunteer, perhaps it will lead to an offer for a paid position. Consider getting your EMT-B or CNA. Then once you have built up your HCE, it's possible your GPA and double major could be the deciding factor between you and another applicant. :)

Great feedback everyone! I really appreciate these opinions. PA applicants are of such great variety it really is tough meeting each expectation and keeping up with competition! ..especially as a young guy versus so many experienced people. I realize the PA profession is based on those with age and experience.. and I'm trying my hardest to keep up!

If people can continue to weigh in and possibly shed light on schools who cater more to the inexperienced crowd I will continue to appreciate it! I noticed a few programs in my research that are more torwards three years than two - the same programs have lessened healthcare requirements.. could be a compromise?

I didn't even realize there are schools that don't accept the GRE. Are you saying they won't even look at the scores?

During my research I did find some schools saying sorts like  "We do not accept the GRE or other standardized scores" so it's out there.. but as you mentioned it doesn't hurt in the end to take it

Did you do any non medical volunteer work? ie- church, boys girls club, tutor, serve food to the homeless?  Also, they don't require the GRE.  Their secondary online is about volunteering and your experiences with it.  Note that this is the only school I know that does grade replacement.

Hello Koppma! Western Cal is a bit further than I'd like to relocate to. I took a look at Drexel but they want 500 hours of volunteer/paid direct hands-on.. I won't have 500 hours of volunteering by then and the list that they constitute as patient contact doesn't include shadowing unless I'm missing it. Any idea?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi m0nte7 !

I think you are fine to focus on schools that don't require HCE but you should consider how much you are limiting yourself. As maynard pointed out, many students have beyond what the programs are looking for so even though a program may not focus on HCE, if it were between you and a student with experience, who are they going to take? Just food for thought…even if you apply to schools now, you should still (in the interim) work on gaining that and bring that to an interview should you receive one. Also, if you didn't get in to the programs you are hoping will accept you, you have already gotten started on HCE and are prepared to apply to schools later in the cycle requiring HCE.

You may want to check out accepted stats of schools if they are available to see where you sit on that totem pole. It is only June and there are so many programs that you can apply to later in this cycle after gaining a bit of experience. You could work as an EKG tech or phlebotomist and get paid for your time. These are relatively easy to train for and if you are able to put yourself in it full time, would rack up hours in just a few months. 

As for looking for schools that don't focus on HCE, you will have to the footwork on that one. It isn't insider info, the program's requirements and focus are pretty outright. 

Best of luck!

Archived