2014-B-02 Role and Definition of the PA (Proposed)

This is not policy until the HOD votes in the affirmative Monday. But, I think that the HOD and Reference Committee B did a nice job on this one: 

1. PAs are health professionals licensed or, in the case of those employed by the federal

2. government, credentialed to practice medicine in association with designated

3. collaborating physicians. PAs are qualified by graduation from an accredited PA

4. educational program and/or certification by the National Commission on Certification of

5. Physician Assistants.

8. Within the physician-PA relationship, PAs provide patient-centered medical care services

9. as a member of a health care team. PAs practice with defined levels of autonomy and

10. exercise independent medical decision making within their scope of practice. 

Published in Ref Comm B Report this morning.

Guest Paula

Steve, please clarify...is this part of the collaboration resolution? I like how it says we are credentialed or licensed to practice medicine/autonomy w/i our scope.  That is how we should be defined. 

Steve, please clarify...is this part of the collaboration resolution? I like how it says we are credentialed or licensed to practice medicine/autonomy w/i our scope.  That is how we should be defined. 

It's from the refcom committee's report and will go up for a vote tomorrow.

I'm just an uninformed student. Can someone please explain the implication of this?

As the AAPA is still the largest voice for PA's, it would be the first time that they acknowledge that in today's climate, the ideal role of the PA is one of collaboration with a physician, not supervision at all levels.  Doing so could give strong support to a couple of things:

1. Allow state PA organizations to start lobbying to state legislatures to change "supervision" to "collaboration" in their respective PA practice law

2. Also allow for a change of the title "physician assistant" to "physician associate"

It helps when your largest national representative body is behind these things in order to get them changed legally

2. Also allow for a change of the title "physician assistant" to "physician associate"

Ah, but there is a caveat. The new message from the board and staff is that we have to get away from the word assistant and become just 'PAs' but a name change is just not possible. That was stated by both the CEO and president.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Steve, please clarify...is this part of the collaboration resolution? I like how it says we are credentialed or licensed to practice medicine/autonomy w/i our scope. That is how we should be defined.

Apparently they rejected 01 and rolled it all into 02. I'm not at the HOD.

Ah, but there is a caveat. The new message from the board and staff is that we have to get away from the word assistant and become just 'PAs' but a name change is just not possible. That was stated by both the CEO and president.

If this is true, this is the crux of our professional difficulties...

Drop the "assistant", and most of our legal or acceptance problems will be legislatively easier to rectify..

And despite the multiple AAPA forum members stating the majority of the profession do not want a name change, and further stating that, even if we did, changing the name would negate multiple enabling legislation on a state by state case, hence " is just not possible ", I call BS.

state legislatures can change terminology in any law as they desire.. They could, tomorrow, decree that " all professionals previously known as physicians shall heretofore be known as medicine men" , and that state would cease having " physicians"

Just a stroke of the legislative pen, gentlemen.. Not so difficult if you really really really wanted it to happen.

Which I suspect they really really really really do not.

Guest Paula

We've seen how easy it is to change nomenclature with a stroke of the pen in Missouri. This actually has me a bit hopeful for positive changes down the pike for PAs. I support the proposal above.

Yup, at the stroke of a pen the Missouri legislature developed the assistant physician profession.  If the MO governor signs the final approval we have evidence it can be done for  PAs as well, and not costing millions of dollars.  

Guest Paula

Apparently they rejected 01 and rolled it all into 02. I'm not at the HOD.

It will be interesting to read the final product. I've heard the voting is done at noon today (Monday).

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of.

I have not been in favor of this generic "PA" term. 

An acronym which stands for...?

I understand its use as a means to an end but irks me to carry a title that stands for nothing.

Guest Paula

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of.

I have not been in favor of this generic "PA" term. 

An acronym which stands for...?

I understand its use as a means to an end but irks me to carry a title that stands for nothing.

I haven't been crazy about it either but it's better than saying physician assistant....until we are forced to say what it stand for....physician assistant. 

Guest Paula

Why is it not possible?  I would like to hear their reasoning.

If this is true, this is the crux of our professional difficulties...

Drop the "assistant", and most of our legal or acceptance problems will be legislatively easier to rectify..

And despite the multiple AAPA forum members stating the majority of the profession do not want a name change, and further stating that, even if we did, changing the name would negate multiple enabling legislation on a state by state case, hence " is just not possible ", I call BS.

state legislatures can change terminology in any law as they desire.. They could, tomorrow, decree that " all professionals previously known as physicians shall heretofore be known as medicine men" , and that state would cease having " physicians"

Just a stroke of the legislative pen, gentlemen.. Not so difficult if you really really really wanted it to happen.

Which I suspect they really really really really do not.

Their bedfellows would oppose it. To use the front that it would "strip our practice laws" and "open the books" is BS. If physician or nursing groups wanted to do that, they have the political means to make it happen.

Has nothing to do with representing PAs.

The results of the census data were not well represented; there was a majority or plurality in most if not all cases.....using HIGHLY loaded question phrasing.

Recall? "Even though it would drain resources at a time when they could be best used elsewhere, would you support a name change?" etc etc

Still gets me mad to this day.

What's worse is some PAs out there believe this.

Guest Paula

Email from Dave Mittman:  The HOD passes resolution defining PAs as collaborative:

"PAs are health professions licensed, or in the case of the Federal government credentialed to practice medicine collaborating with physicians". 

Email from Dave Mittman:  The HOD passes resolution defining PAs as collaborative:

"PAs are health professions licensed, or in the case of the Federal government credentialed to practice medicine collaborating with physicians". 

Ok I admit this sounds positive, but what does it mean in relation to the day to day of life as a PA? I mean the AAPA can change terminology in defining in relationship to physicians, but what does this change? are we no longer supervised by physicians?

We still are, and states will describe it that way(for now) , but we can say that the stance of our professional organization is that we practice medicine as part of a team based collaborative care model in which we exercise independent judgement.

Guest Paula

This is step one for us.  There is much more work to be done.  What is that saying?  Inch by inch it's a cinch, but by the yard it's hard.  Next is to have a state change the legislative language of supervision.  A few states have already tried with some support from the medical boards.  It will happen....it is a matter of time.   

Archived