new program not what I expected and I want out

someone said they also "heard" this is a poor program. probably not originating with your class then. contact former graducate students and see what they say in retrospect re same problems you are having. then document, document. and carry documentation up your program's chain of command. I would document cheating you actually witness also. CYA at all times. good luck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I think he's in the first class ever, so there are no graduates yet.

I would stick it out, OP. It's going to be a ****ty year, but didactic will be over for you in what... 3 months? The only reason I would drop at your point now would be if I thought I couldn't get a decent clinical site.

I'm curious what you ended up doing.

If it's any consolation, after reading this thread, I'm super happy to be attending a program that's 100% pass/fail, and thus has no class standings or ranking. It's hard enough just to cover the PA school curriculum well--adding in student/student rivalry on top of that does indeed seem toxic to me.

This rings true 100% true, it's like this in a lot of medical career curriculum. When I went through combat medic training in the army, we had a "Go/NO-GO" system and it pretty muched forced individuals to exceed what was expected of them "not pull out a "C+" grade that just got them through ("kinda rediculous that programs ask this, as grades on a patient care level doesn't mean jack").

If I were you, I would actually go talk to the dean, in regards to the cheating as something can and will be done "instructor will re write exams maybe".

As far as your education and level of learning what you think you need to learn, I would approach the instructors, and express your concerns, since they may or should be experienced as physician assistants.

I tell you man, I found myself in a similiar position in a nuclear medicine program here in Michigan and while I am happy I dropped the program to do biomed, I should have went about it a whole different way. "things we do blindly as a youth" /sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Can't wait until the firm you end up working for instructs you to do something dishonest or "sneaky." Let's see if you have tell on them and stand up for what you "believe" in.

I didn't work at a law firm, but I took a stand relative to my now former employer. Now I'm in PA school and happier than ever! Not only that, I would do it again... It's called intestinal fortitude. I highly suggest you try it.

**Edited to remove the word "in"

I am in such turmoil over what to do. I'm in a brand new program and unfortunately I am totally disappointed. I was lied to about what to expect and just about everyone in the class wants out and is miserable. Two people have already dropped because the curriculum is weak and the environment is so hostile and toxic. I want out too, but I’m worried dropping out of a program will hurt my chances of getting into another one. Has anyone ever dropped out because they were in a program that was just not a good fit for them and got accepted somewhere else? If I leave am I basically walking away from my dream of being a PA?<o:p

Hi I know exactly where your coming from I went to I studied in one of the PA schools in UK and was continually disappointed through it. I would say if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't and your meant to do something else.</o

• 1 year later...
I am in such turmoil over what to do. I'm in a brand new program and unfortunately I am totally disappointed. I was lied to about what to expect and just about everyone in the class wants out and is miserable. Two people have already dropped because the curriculum is weak and the environment is so hostile and toxic. I want out too, but I’m worried dropping out of a program will hurt my chances of getting into another one. Has anyone ever dropped out because they were in a program that was just not a good fit for them and got accepted somewhere else? If I leave am I basically walking away from my dream of being a PA?<o:p</o

=====================================================================================

don't listen to what other students said. You are not them. It is you who tells yourself that you can do it, not anyone else. The program may have a weak curriculum, but you can reach out outside learning sources. Read other PA schools' curriculum descriptions whose national exam passing rate is high and see what area MCPHS is weak in, and then search for some books. Most of people will attend PA exam review class before taking the actual exam. You can learn a lot from that.

Leanring should not be confined only within the classroom and what the teachers teach you. I think the ability of self-study and study stratety is very important. and of course a positive attitude.

Good luck.

Archived