Is no moving expenses normal?

I just got offered a decent job, but it has no relocation expenses.  During the interview, the practice manager specifically stated that he wanted me there as soon as possible, because in his experience, providers who don't move in the first few weeks re-consider and back out.

He also wants a three year contract for the position.

Now, my contract law may be rusty, but a contract typically has consideration on both sides, as it was put to me in the police academy, "ask and agree, sex for a fee."  Each person offers up something.

If I am to sign for three years, what am I getting?  A job?  That isn't anything anyone else can't offer.  They pay, I see patients, it's not rocket science.  Why do I need to commit to three years to do that?

I truly find the requirement mystifying, considering the fact that there are no moving expenses or signing bonus.  I like the job, but if I am paying to move there out of my own pocket, if something better comes along elsewhere next year, why shouldn't I just pay those expenses as well and move along?  You pay an employee moving expenses and a signing bonus so they will sign a contract.  It's in your best interest to get the best provider for your practice and want to keep them there, you don't hold someone hostage via contract...

Is there any reason I should consider this an actual "contract" for three years and not just the standard employer/employee agreement, (doing your job and getting paid)?  Is there any reason I shouldn't just sign the contract and leave when someting better comes along if I paid the expenses in the first place?

Thanks,

J

they may have a problem getting folks to stay more than a year....there might be a reason for that....danger will robinson!

that being said, I have only gotten relocation expenses when staying within the same company and transferring positions. I have never gotten a sign on bonus. I have also never needed to sign a contract agreeing to stay for a certain period of time.

I also just switched jobs, and am moving cross-country- no moving expenses, no signing bonus.  Not as big a deal for me, as my wife's new hospital is covering all of our moving expenses since she's a physician.  Just another reminder of our place in the medical world, I suppose

I agree that it's a danger when a company asks to sign and stay.  To me it seems strange.  I am not as much worried about no bonus or moving expenses as I am being asked to sign a contact for three years, I just don't see the need for a contract if it's a nice place to work.

I agree that it's a danger when a company asks to sign and stay.  To me it seems strange.  I am not as much worried about no bonus or moving expenses as I am being asked to sign a contact for three years, I just don't see the need for a contract if it's a nice place to work.

I feel sorry for the person who can’t get genuinely excited about his work. Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything worthwhile. - Walter Chrysler The environment now is a relationship of turmoil, suspicion, anxiety, mutual disrespect, distrust and mutual disloyalty between employers and employees.

Archived