How should PAFT spend their money?

Guest Paula

Guest Paula

PAFT members:  

What would you like to see PAFT spend dues money on?

What is important to you as a member?

How much time are you willing to help out with a project if asked?

What do you envision the PA profession to be like in the next 3 years?

Give us some feedback.

I honestly think one of the single BIGGEST issues facing PA right now is the inability to order VNA and hospice care - this based on regulations that were drawn up in the early 70's when PAs were very small in number.  

This has such far reaching negative consequences for PA in primary care (as well as NPs) that is just cuts us off from the care of our patients.

honestly - getting the national nursing lobby and the national PA lobby together on this and then threatening to file a restraint of trade lawsuit I think is the best way to afford change as the AMA seems to be blocking this one topic with vigor as it is likely the last vestige of "physician only" realm.......   it needs to change!

I would say - hire a good PR firm and lobbyists to work jointly on promoting the image of PA's and in promoting a favorable legislative agenda. Would be helpful to have folks who are well educated in health policy as well. Also, to develop collegial relations with both MD organizations and NP/ nursing organizations, since that is where the real political clout is.

1) choose a few legislative issues to focus on which promote PA practice ownership, collaboration and not assistance, name change, inc scope of practice. 

2) Use resources to fund and promote PA scholarship at conferences, publications, and popular press demonstrating the utility and success of the profession.

3) I like the lobbyist idea

4) prob not important to most PAs but think about the abundance of programs and how that will influence the future of PAdom. How can 100+ programs develop, and almost every existing program increase enrollment over a 5-10 year period and that NOT INFLUENCE the quality and salary of PAs. Do not respond with the affordable care act  and Baby Boomers... there is little data to support that. 

I would say - hire a good PR firm and lobbyists to work jointly on promoting the image of PA's and in promoting a favorable legislative agenda. 

This is not cheap.  As an example: my state org, which has a lobbyist, sets PAC donation goals in the six figures.  Those are the kinds of funds it takes to go that route.  I would love to get there, but PAFT will need more members and more donations.  More and more PAs are beginning to see the light IMO, so I am hopeful that we can make it there in time.

Guest Paula

This is not cheap.  As an example: my state org, which has a lobbyist, sets PAC donation goals in the six figures.  Those are the kinds of funds it takes to go that route.  I would love to get there, but PAFT will need more members and more donations.  More and more PAs are beginning to see the light IMO, so I am hopeful that we can make it there in time.

You hit the nail on the head......it is all about money and a robust and interested PA profession who really want it to thrive and become the go-to profession over the NPs.  (I am not at all against NPs and actually admire their aggressive lobbying efforts...tying physician's underwear in knots).   

PR marketing firm also expensive.  Sometimes I think the PA profession is like herding cats.  

You hit the nail on the head......it is all about money and a robust and interested PA profession who really want it to thrive and become the go-to profession over the NPs.  (I am not at all against NPs and actually admire their aggressive lobbying efforts...tying physician's underwear in knots).   

PR marketing firm also expensive.  Sometimes I think the PA profession is like herding cats.  

I suspect an effective nationwide PR campaign would run into the multimillion dollar expense.

I think we may be more effective weave a lawsuit or threatened of such. Might be only $100,000.

coordinate with AAPA  do not spend minimal resources on the same thing. 

we have been doing this to some extent. some issues we have to be out front on because they are not there yet so we need to drag them kicking and screaming into the present....

The IOM study is, I think, the first and maybe biggest priority. I have no idea how those get done, or where the expenses lie within that process. If the money has to be spent sending board members to meetings, hiring professional editors to punch up policy statements and press releases, and keeping the web site and mailing lists going, I'm cool with that for the first couple of years.

Archived