Strange Requests from Aquaintanes

So I bumped into my neighbor, an elderly obese man today and started talking. Told him that I was studying medicine in a PA program and about the role of a PA. Next thing he asks "Will you be able to help me with a barium enema." Explained that I'm not comfortable and not trained. "But it's really easy! I will pay you $50!" Then I tell him to see his PCP. "I'm no longer working and have no healthcare insurance. Let me explain how simple it is. All you do is........" Anyway, somehow I managed to escape in a polite manner. Any one else have awkward situations like this?

Oh my goodness! That's terrible about his situation. But, a barium enema is not easy. It requires a technologist to insert an enema tip connected to a bag of barium which is elevated above the patient. Under fluoroscopy, a radiologist watches the flow of the barium into the colon to detect any abnormalities while the technologist assists the patient and controls the flow of the barium. The radiologist will want the patient to rotate this way and that to see what he needs to see. And then a series of x-rays are taken after the fluoro procedure.

Working in healthcare though, I get asked all kinds of crazy things, and I imagine as a PA, the questions are more frequent and more interesting!!!

• Administrator

That request simply doesn't make sense.  I wouldn't put it past people to request weird things for improper reasons or to impose on family members or friends to try and save money... but a BARIUM enema? Just does not make sense.

Guest Paula

You know how it is when patients misunderstand medical terms.  Like my patient who promises me she will "get her mammoscopy....as soon as possible. Do I have to fast for it?" 

Regardless of what the neighbor meant or what he should have said is irrelevant IMHO. For him to put the those two words together and then to actually have the audacity to ask the OP for assistance and to dismiss what the OP said sounds like the neighbor did not respect the OP's boundaries at all

Explained that I'm not comfortable and not trained. "But it's really easy! I will pay you $50!"

You know how it is when patients misunderstand medical terms. Like my patient who promises me she will "get her mammoscopy....as soon as possible. Do I have to fast for it?"

Ohhhh I cringe every time some one says PROSTRATE or metropol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Archived