The best problem I have ever had

I am blessed with this problem.  I applied to RCC and Western and got accepted into both programs.  I am freaking out and am so thankful for those who supported me and that my hard work paid off.  Now what do I do? RCC is way closer, cheaper, and cheaper.  Its $70k cheaper and I can still get my masters.  The only thing is its on probation and up for review in September I believe.  My biggest fear is that I give up my seat at Western and after being in class for a month the program is closed down.  Please help me make the right decision.  What would you do?  Keeping my family (three young children) out of massive student loan debt would be so beneficial but having to reapply next year because I made the wrong decision would be equally as devastating.   I keep going back and forth and would really appreciate your input.  Thank you

You should call RCC and ask why they are on probation, what steps they have taken to resolve the infractions, and their expectations of the upcoming ARC-PA review.  Some types of probation(i.e. due to a paperwork issue) are not as serious as others(i.e. clinical sites or the curriculum do not meet ARC standards) so that is something to take into consideration.  I would definitely want to save $70k unless I felt as if the program has not adequately responded to the issue.

After checking RCC's site, you can see their first time PANCE pass rates are pretty awful overall and that could very well be why they're on probation.  The c/o 2013 looks like it may be making a comeback but it's still sort of an unknown.

I did ask during my interview and they said that the ARC-PA had nothing bad to say about their didactic curriculum or their clinical program.  She said it all had to with record keeping on the students.  She said that is where their new requirements came from for next year.  

Hi! I was wondering what your thoughts were on Western? I'm just wondering as I might be applying there this cycle. Thanks!

have worked with their students on/off for years and generally not impressed with the folks they accept. no experience, generally all about high money specialties and lifestyle as motivation for becoming a pa.folks who should have goine to medschool. lots of folks with "experience" as research/scribe or zero experience of any kind. my last student from there refused to do any er procedures he didn't think he would need to know for fp. we failed him.

I now refuse to take students from that program.

RCC, on the other hand, places appropriate value on significant hce and has older/more mature students trying to advance their medical careers to the next level.

But on the other side of the coin, I've heard RCC constantly fails a significant number of students before they even reach the clinical portion.  I would be afraid to go to a program with a high attrition rate.  If you fail out, I doubt another program will accept you later...  At the very least ask the program the direct (non third hand) info about the attrition rates for the past 5 years.  

And congratulation on acceptance to 2 programs!  You must be a great applicant

But on the other side of the coin, I've heard RCC constantly fails a significant number of students before they even reach the clinical portion.  I would be afraid to go to a program with a high attrition rate.  If you fail out, I doubt another program will accept you later...  At the very least ask the program the direct (non third hand) info about the attrition rates for the past 5 years.  

If it's true that the attrition rate is high and they still have an 81% five year PANCE pass rate, I would avoid that school at all costs.  I would probably avoid it anyway based on the pass rate alone.

I have also heard this.

To OP, might want to read this thread before deciding. Obviously do your own research too but it sure seems like something weird is going on at RCC. Congrats on getting into two schools BTW!!

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/12115-dropped-out-of-a-pa-program/?hl=riverside#entry155518

have worked with their students on/off for years and generally not impressed with the folks they accept. no experience, generally all about high money specialties and lifestyle as motivation for becoming a pa.folks who should have goine to medschool. lots of folks with "experience" as research/scribe or zero experience of any kind. my last student from there refused to do any er procedures he didn't think he would need to know for fp. we failed him.

I now refuse to take students from that program.

RCC, on the other hand, places appropriate value on significant hce and has older/more mature students trying to advance their medical careers to the next level.

I see! How do you feel about other CA programs? Touro, Loma Linda, USC?

Thanks for the feedback, btw :)

Archived