Masters vs Bachelors program

If you already have a bachelors degree, did/ are you applying to the masters program or bachelors program?  I am having a hard time deciding which program I want to apply to, especially as now there is an option to earn an MPH if in the bachelors program.  Can anyone weigh in as to the pros and cons of either?

Although it's a very personal decision, here are a couple of things to think about to get you started.

1) my personal belief is that you should always go for the highest degree you are qualified for that is available. For example, I have a masters degree already, so I knew I wanted another masters and not a bachelors program.

2) think about where you want to go as a PA and what you want to do. Public health? Under served populations? Dermatology? If it's public health, maybe the MPH is where you want to go. If it's derm, maybe not.

3) also consider scholarships and jobs you might be interested in. Are you applying for USPHS or NHSC? Maybe MPH is for you!

Just some general thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I may provide some insight, even though I have thirty years of diverse experience I am being disqualified from applying for multiple positions in my neck of the woods since the employers are very specific not only in the job posting, but even with phone follow up, that they will consider ONLY those with MS in PA studies (short-sighted in my opinion but I'm not the one making the decision).  Doesn't matter what else I may be able to bring to the table, or my willingness if they insist on obtaining a bridge program MS within a reasonable time window of employment (don't want to but if that's what it takes then I guess that's what one has to do).  In this situation it would be a no-brainer, if given the option, to get the MS.

• 5 months later...

If you qualify for the Master program I cannot imagine why you would not go that route. It is more expensive in the short term but its only one semester difference than the BS curriculum (at least at MEDEX). If you get a BS and decide you want to get an MS/MPH then it’s an additional 4 semesters with the extended options, why waste the time?

Another consideration is paying for school. If you already earned a BA/BS your government loan availability is cut in half and the use of Pell Grants is gone. Private loans are more expensive.

All programs will go to awarding a Masters only by 2021 and this could spark more states and employers to require the advanced degree.

Many hospitals in my area will not hire RN’s without BS although you can get an AS and be awarded the RN credential. I can see how this will happen to PA’s in the future. The idea of “grandfathered in” will always allow you to keep your license at a PA, it will not guarantee that employers or regulations won’t change and make X percentage of their work for hold an advanced degree.  

If you qualify for the Master program I cannot imagine why you would not go that route. It is more expensive in the short term but its only one semester difference than the BS curriculum (at least at MEDEX). If you get a BS and decide you want to get an MS/MPH then it’s an additional 4 semesters with the extended options, why waste the time?

Another consideration is paying for school. If you already earned a BA/BS your government loan availability is cut in half and the use of Pell Grants is gone. Private loans are more expensive.

All programs will go to awarding a Masters only by 2021 and this could spark more states and employers to require the advanced degree.

Many hospitals in my area will not hire RN’s without BS although you can get an AS and be awarded the RN credential. I can see how this will happen to PA’s in the future. The idea of “grandfathered in” will always allow you to keep your license at a PA, it will not guarantee that employers or regulations won’t change and make X percentage of their work for hold an advanced degree.

The last part is a very hot topic and an inflammatory one at that. I am sad that the bachelors option will go away. If it weren't for the bachelors program I may not have had the opportunity to chase down my dream. I feel most for people in that are/were in the military who will not have the bachelors option. I am not sure there will be a requirement of a masters in pre-employment, if the curriculum is the same then what would be the point? MEDEX is one of the last holdouts against the all masters requirement. They love their bachelors option/students.

Get the masters degree. You have a long career ahead of you. You dont want to run the risk of being left behind by degree creep. I dont agree with it but there does not seem to be a way to argue against it given the way of the world today. Logistical issues such as obtaining a loan along with running into federal, state and local hiring requirements will likely come up when you dont want them to.

Good Luck

G Brothers PA-C

Archived