I am beginning to think about my thesis project that I will have to complete in the next year, and want to do research on PA education, PA workforce issues, public perception of PAs, or PA quality of care. Most of my classmates are doing medical science research. I know those are extremely broad topics, and so I wanted to post on here to see if anyone has specific ideas for something that needs to be researched in the PA field. (I know in general there is a shortage of PA specific research, but what would be something that would be meaningful and feasible as a PA/MPH student)...Feel free to PM me with thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark -

If you are interested in looking at PA education, your faculty members should have copies of the Journal of PA Education (a PAEA publication) laying around. You might start by looking through those to see what has been done in recent history. As you note, there are a lot of research gaps...

I discourage students from these topics because I believe the thesis should teach a future PA how to critique clinical information under the guise of experienced research mentorship.

Your dual PA/MPH status suggests you need to develop skills in both areas so I am not sure how much that thought process should apply to you.

I would be very interested in an exploration of the economics of PA's or "midlevels". Is there actually a cost savings? This is a complex topic though and I would imagine you would need guidance from more than a typical PA school faculty member unless of course someone at your school has this expertise.

Given that a Department Chair has identified a gap in research I would love to know more about how his Department is looking to change this ?  This is not an attack I am just interested in learning more about the obstacles in developing PA research. Has seton hall thought about bringing in a PhD in public health and providing some salary and work support while they earn grant funding ?.

Has seton hall thought about bringing in a PhD in public health and providing some salary and work support while they earn grant funding ?.

Nope, I am an anti-intellectual. The only thing I think about is teaching students how to keep people from getting sick, fixing people when they do get sick, and supporting people when they are beyond the help of medical science. ;-)

I see your point. That is the job of a PA program. But in order to get those PAs into positions that allow them to demonstrate those skills and continue to advance a body of research is necessary. Part of the reason nursing/NP is advancing is because of their academic settings. Whenever a major publication discusses midlevels they can go to UPENN or Columbia and speak with a seasoned nursing researcher  .... at conferences in all topics established nursing research professors can present .... this moves a profession forward. This helps patient care.

liza21

while i think the initial response to your question is funny and cuttingly sarcastic, i would rather gently refer you to 2 things.

one is google, try that before asking a question such as this.

second, i assume since you asked that question, you are not a pa. i would suggest lurking on this forum but your participation would require more than what you are likely bringing to the table.

but that s**t was hysterical.

good luck to you.

george

to address the original thread:

i think workforce issues would be great. specifically in the area of post pa program residencies. i part time teach at a local pa program and also precept. i commonly get asked about these programs. my intuition makes me think that attending such a program would better prepare a new graduate pa to enter the job market in a specialty field. but i also read between the lines of some of these programs that they serve as a 'training up' year at a reduced salary and that the grad just transitions into employment at their place of training.

i am a member of sempa and there is a grassroots movement afoot to expand pa ed residencies across the country due to concerns from acep that too many pas enter emergency medicine without an adequate em background due to the primary care focus of most pa programs. there is an alternative pathway also being developed called the advance practice provider academy.

http://www.acep.org/whatisappa/ 

compare and contrast of both would be an interesting and timely topic. theres got to be a thesis in there and potential to be published in both pa and em literature.

good luck

george brothers pac

Archived