Got into Respiratory program, but really wanted PA

Last year was my first year applying to PA programs. I got one interview out of 14 applications sent out. I have a 3.1 overall GPA (3.8 on prerequisites and last 60 credits). I have 2,600 hours of low level HCE such as nurse assistant, first aid provider and recreation counselor at a mental health facility. I'm getting ready to apply to CASPA again this year, and I'll be adding medical scribe to my HCE, plus a Spanish course.

The nearby associate's program in Respiratory Therapy has reviewed my application and offered me a spot for the Fall. I have some interest in RT, but PA is far more interesting to me and I think it would be much easier to get a full-time day job as a PA.

What do you folks think I should do? Should I skip RT and go another year of waiting to see if I get into PA school? I'm 42 years old, so I'd rather just do one or the other, not RT school then PA school. I think I could use some advice or maybe some encouragement. I feel like I don't have much time to waste at my age. Thanks for any advice!

If you go to RT school, are you going to have the pang of "if only I tried for PA again..."?

I've seen several posts from respiratory therapists who say they enjoy the job, but wish they were doing the evaluation, diagnosis, treatment parts of medicine that PAs do. My 2¢

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

You could always start it and leave if you get into PA school. I know that suggestion will get some frowns, but you have to do what's best for your future.

If the cost isn't astronomical, I don't see a problem with this strategy.

Plus, if things don't go well on round two, you're halfway through your RT program at least.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I am not going to tell you what to do with the rest of your life, but make sure that you'll be doing what you want to be doing. I'm not sure that quitting your benefits-paying job to go back to school, only to think about quitting that later, if you get in PA school is all that great a strategy though.

If you really want to be a PA and not an RT, then you could take a year and improve your HCE and try again next year.

If you think that you'll be happy being an RT for 5-10 years anyway, then go ahead. You'll get to help people and learn quite a bit. You could still change jobs again in the future; I changed mine twice since I was 42.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

If you do decide to go the RT route, be prepared to work nights until a day shift opens up. It's very very rare for a new grad to get days right off the bat. If I were in your shoes, attend the RT program and work part time. I manged to work 30 hrs a week when I went through my RT program. Apply for PA school while in RT school. The year of science based courses will help your GPA and make you more competive.

If you do decide to go the RT route, be prepared to work nights until a day shift opens up. It's very very rare for a new grad to get days right off the bat. If I were in your shoes, attend the RT program and work part time. I manged to work 30 hrs a week when I went through my RT program. Apply for PA school while in RT school. The year of science based courses will help your GPA and make you more competive.

i have a question. working nights only as PRN or would it be a fulltime night position? What kind of job did you do part time during the program?

I am thinking of doing an integrated RT program that gives me a Master's. I would be able to get my HCE and still enjoy doing something different from what I am doing now. Once I graduate I would still have pre reqs to take for PA school..so I guess day time classes would be good.

Most full time new grad positions are for night shift. You may be able to find a PRN days, but you have no guarantee on hours and you're typically first called off. Getting a masters in RT gives no added benefit, you'd be best off finding a community college level program. I worked part time while in my RT program as a mental health tech, 4-12 shift. Hope this helps.

Starting RT school and then leaving if I was accepted to PA school is a possibility. One problem is that to start RT school I would have to leave my medical scribe job, which I enjoy, and is full-time with benefits.

Wouldn't you face the same issue if you went to PA school?  

Archived