Creighton EMS

For those who may be interested for any number of reasons, I did receive confirmation from Creighton University in Nebraska this morning that they do allow PA's to take the two week HCP->Paramedic certification training class.  I know the program has been referenced previously in other threads however the website made no specific mention of allowing PA's to take this course.  Just make certain to cross-reference reciprocity with your state health department/EMS division if you live outside Nebraska.

Shouldn't getting the NREMT-P eliminate most of the worries of reciprocity for most states?

the only issue with this program if you read the fine print is you may not get all your fieldwork done during the program so you need a local medic preceptor in your home state. might be hard to arrange for some.

Shouldn't getting the NREMT-P eliminate most of the worries of reciprocity for most states?

Not necessarily.  It depends a lot on the state.  Some States will accept it outright.  Some States will allow it as part of a more complicated reciprocity process.  Other States will laugh at you and ask what else you have.

It would be nice if the States could agree on one set of EMS certifications.  Unfortunately, like many other issues plaguing the EMS segment of the healthcare industry, local (and some national) politics are holding it back.

I don't have anything to substantiate why I feel this way but I'm surprised that more "big" programs don't offer something such as this.  The other somewhat large program in the city shut down within the past six months so that only leaves the medical school program locally, aside from my local community college (next county north from the med school).  On that same tangent, I'm also surprised that other universities don't offer an EMS degree for those who wish to go into admin/teaching after their days on the box.

I just checked, for Washington, you need to have graduated from a CAAHEP-certified program. http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/530062.pdf

According to CAAHEP, http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/, Creighton counts.

For a brand new applicant to sit for a National Registry paramedic exam "...applicants must have successfully completed state-approved and CAAHEP-accredited (or one that has a Letter of Review) Paramedic (NRP) program".  This became effective 1 Jan 2013.  Here's the link.

As completing an accredited program is now mandatory I'm hoping some positive changes will be seen within the EMS community as far as educational standards go.

Archived