Personal Advice . . . I May Regret This

Okay Buddies . . . what should I do?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Okay Buddies . . . what should I do?

• Pull the plug and forget the whole thing
    • Find a new bank and start all over
    • Stay with the same bank and keep pushing
    • Sign the lease this week even without a secured loan.

I should take this poll down since so much water has passed beneath the bridge since then. I thought about putting up a poll about another decision point.

I'm interviewing MAs right now. My present SP's MA called me at home one night and asked me to take her with me. She is an excellent worker. Of my two present SPs that one has now drifted into an angry phase (accusing me of stealing his patients). So, I really want to leave on good terms. It would be good for my business if they, as general neurologists, refereed me their patients.

So the decision that I made, is that I told that MA that I highly respected her work and hope to find a MA just like her, but it would create too much animosity, so for now, I can not offer her a job. So in retrospect, what would you have done?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have taken the MA. They most likely won't refer patients to you anyway...their egos will get in the way. Think about it, a PA with a thriving practice is more than a lot of docs can take, esp in a rural area. I take it you're going to have a practice where people can call up w/o referral...you're probably going to have to rely on that.

Well, on one hand, I think you would've been justified in taking the MA, because they probably would have done the same to you without a second thought. BUT, ultimately, I think you did the right thing, and yes I think it would've just worsened relations (although they are already probably going to dislike you anyways, not only will your clinic likely be more succesful, but they have to watch themselves lose to a PA, which may be a shot to the ego for some doctors, unfortunately). I'm not sure how hard MAs are to come by but I would think you can find another good one if you take the time to do so. Good luck and keep us updated!

I would have stroked their ego a little bit and asked them if it was okay to hire her away...... might make them feel like they are in control (but they are not) and if they said yes - you take her, if say no then you move on and hope that they would refer to you in the future...... part of the "game of business" made even more complex by physician ego....

I would have stroked their ego a little bit and asked them if it was okay to hire her away...... might make them feel like they are in control (but they are not) and if they said yes - you take her, if say no then you move on and hope that they would refer to you in the future...... part of the "game of business" made even more complex by physician ego....

+1 to ventana, TITCR

Archived