HCE vs. My summer

I am in the middle of CNA classes right now, and I will be finishing a week after my school finishes. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to stay in my college town at this point, and am forced to go home. I've contacted a nursing home for a job but they told me if I'm only here for the summer they don't want me. What do I do? I'm in my second year of college with no healthcare experience,and I feel like I'm running out of time. Also, what do I do if I can't get hired anywhere in my college town next semester?

You might consider trying home health as a place to start. If you're not in a financial situation where you absolutely have to work for money, you can and should volunteer and shadow as much as possible. If you're willing to volunteer you should consider getting an EMT-B certification. That could open up better volunteer experience. It might open up better job opportunities but I don't have experience in this area. Getting a medical assistant license could also help. Many doctors running offices would be sympathetic to your cause. However, I don't know that M.A. hours would be compatible with your class schedule.

Getting a job as a CNA is not as easy as many believe. I had to do a lot of applying and basically annoyed one facility into interviewing me. Most facilities, especially hospitals, want experience (starting in home health might help, but even those agencies often want experience). The situation could be different where you are, but if you run into difficulty, my advice is to network and pester. Just sending out applications might not be enough. Many CNAs regard their career as a disposable McJob, so if you show you're eager it could count for a lot. Go in to talk to people, mention your PA plans and tell them that you hope to gain experience AND a letter of recommendation in the future, that way they know you'll follow instructions (a rarity in the field) and take the work seriously.

work for a year or more full time AFTER you graduate. this is what many applicants have done in the past. there is no rush to get the hce done. it is just as important as grades, gre, etc. and a major determinant of how well you do later in school and on rotations.

That is what happened to me after my freshman year. I had to wait until school started back up, and even getting a job then was hard as all hospitals near me preferred nursing students.  Is there any way you could sublease an apartment for the summer near your college? That is what I did the following summer.

work for a year or more full time AFTER you graduate. this is what many applicants have done in the past. there is no rush to get the hce done. it is just as important as grades, gre, etc. and a major determinant of how well you do later in school and on rotations.

This is certainly something to consider, but I think the OP would still be well-advised to seek a job now, even if it is only one shift a week. As I mentioned earlier, getting a CNA job that offers meaningful HCE is not always easy, and getting any kind of job now with any kind of experience could significantly improve the odds of getting a better job down the line. If the OP waits for graduation he or she might be stuck working for a year in home health with one patient at a time and no providers. Not the greatest HCE.

When applying to PA school, the main variable is the number of raw hours worked. When it comes to applying to be a CNA, the main variable is the amount of time spent holding a job. If you can hold down a job working one shift a week for the next three years, then after graduation you can get a better job because you have "3 years experience". Sometimes you can edge out an applicant who worked full-time for one year, even though they have far more hours than you. I know that sounds crazy. It is crazy. But it's true.

If you aren't able to get a job I would consider volunteering if that is possible. Obviously you will still have to get a CNA job in the future to acquire more healthcare experience, but volunteering would be a great start if a paid position is not an option this summer. 

Look into jobs that serve the developmentally disabled. That's what I did for my HCE. I'm in Idaho (don't know if regulations are different in other states) and I was able to work one-on-one as a caregiver for severely disabled children and adults and I have NO certifications or formal training. It was a great experience, albeit low paying.

Look into jobs that serve the developmentally disabled. That's what I did for my HCE. I'm in Idaho (don't know if regulations are different in other states) and I was able to work one-on-one as a caregiver for severely disabled children and adults and I have NO certifications or formal training. It was a great experience, albeit low paying.

Do most schools count this as HCE?

Do most schools count this as HCE?

I am curious too, does anyone know? I got a BS psychology degree and have volunteered and worked hundreds if not thousands of hours with this type of population; Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities. It was very rewarding, just not the money aspect of it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious too, does anyone know? I got a BS psychology degree and have volunteered and worked hundreds if not thousands of hours with this type of population; Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities. It was very rewarding, just not the money aspect of it.  

Yes, the schools I was accepted to counted it as HCE, and that was the only HCE I had. You worked one-on-one with these people, right? It's definitely HCE, although you will never go wrong by double checking with the specific schools you want to apply to. 

Archived