History Quiz

I modified my post while you were replying.  The Crimean war, like all other wars, brought about big changes in medicine.  Florence Nightingale is credited with much of it because she was such a prolific writer about it, and she had such an organized personality.  She did a LOT during the war to establish an actual medical system to care for the wounded other than just leaving them to fend for themselves.  While I don't believe the Red Cross was formally started during the Crimean War, that is where its roots are.

Years ago, while I was still active duty, I was working on my Masters in Military History before changing to a MPH program. 

Okay, you must have edited your first answer.  YES, it was the invention of nursing via Florence Nightingale.  Did I sense your answer was the "shot gun" approach to answers?  But anyway you got it.  I only knew this because I'm going to Istanbul in two weeks and during my study of the history of Istanbul I came across her history there. She was based in the Istanbul area during the Crimean wars.  I hope to visit her office, which still stands. 

Yes, I edited while you were posting.  And yes, it seemed shotgun, but that is because all of those things are intertwined.  Florence Nightingale, her writings, the war, photography, aseptic technique, new weaponry, etc.  You can also add to that the political environment in Britain at the time.  All these things added up to tremendous changes.

Stay safe.  Things are heating up there (again).

you can still see her plans scribbled on the wall:

1. establish nursing

2. RNs manage hospitals and health systems

3. create NP providers

4. establish independent practice for NPs

5. crush all competition

6. take over the world and feed all the physicians to the lions

Archived