Guidance - Which profession should I choose?

Hello All!

I am in the process of making a life-altering career choice and I would love to hear some feedback from all the PA-C's out there. I graduated with my B.S. in May 2013 and my original plan all throughout undergrad has been to become a PA. However, as I delved deeper into the application process, I decided to apply to one direct entry NP program as a backup in case I didn't get in to PA school because the thought of being out of school and delaying my graduate degree and career progression by another year is very unappealing to me.

I am now at a serious cross-road since I have been accepted to a couple PA programs and the one (albeit, prestigious) NP program to which I applied. Even after being accepted to the NP program I have still been 99% sure that I want to be a PA because I want to practice medicine, the PA programs will provide me with greater amounts of clinical experience, etc.

However, after reading several of the posts on this forum I am very concerned. It seems that many posters have been expressing sentiments along the lines of NPs some how being considered to be "above" PAs by other medical/healthcare professionals. Do you really think this is true? Are PAs falling behind in terms of respect from other medical/healthcare professionals? What about in terms of professional advancement and opportunities to hold leadership/admin positions in the medical field?

If you were in my position and had to make this decision would you still choose to become a PA? Thank you in advance for your input I really appreciate it!

...Even after being accepted to the NP program I have still been 99% sure that I want to be a PA...

I think that sums it up nicely. Rarely are we "100%" sure about any decisions in our lives. I'd say 99% is as good as it gets.

Ultimately you need to be confident in your choice and make it work. Or else you'll be kicking yourself either way. Any choice/career can be better than another depending on what you make of it; there is no definitive answer to your question.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

As an RN applying to both NP and PA programs, I can tell you I go back and forth a lot too.

For me, both professions have their strong points:

PA: Wins on clinical experience, school difficulty, etc. I feel the PA curriculum is much more intense and likely prepares better entry level providers.

NP: Wins on political clout, independence. More and more states are allowing for NPs to work entirely independently under their own license. This includes writing prescriptions, opening their own office, etc.

So for me, I'm leaning strongly towards NP because I think the education difference will even out after a few years of practice. The vast majority of practicing medicine is learned in the field, and despite the clinical hour and curriculum advantage of PAs, 5-7 years out of school they are usually indistinguishable. The independence/political lobbying power, however, can never be overcome and will always be heavily in favor of NPs.

...The independence/political lobbying power, however, can never be overcome and will always be heavily in favor of NPs.

Never say never! ;)

It's definitely a hurdle for PAs to overcome, but sea changes can and do happen. It's all a matter of time, leadership, and a spark.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I have to agree with MedicalRN in that PA programs turn out better entry level providers.  That said, my stance on your situation would be this: if you have pretty high level health care experience (paramedic, RRT, RN) then direct entry NP program will be ok.  If you have no HCE, then go to PA school.  The ideal would be for you to have a high level of HCE and go to PA school - I think this would make you the overall best clinician possible.  But to be a truly good NP, you need to have experience beforehand because you're not going to get it through your NP program.  PA schools can take the more inexperienced folks and turn them into decent providers out of the gate (depending on the program) whereas the NP programs don't focus enough on the skills needed to practice medicine.  Hope that helps.   

I was in this same predicament awhile back.  I chose PA because I had little HCE, and I felt PAs have a leg up in EM which is what I'd like to get into.

A few things to think about:

1) which state do you want to practice?  Some states are poor for PAs and better for NPs

2) how much HCE.  If you have a fair bit, NP could be OK

3) think about what specialty you want to go into.  If primary care, peds, psych, women's health, go NP.  If EM, or surgery, go PA.  If you're unsure, PA might be better because you are generalist trained and you still leave doors open to chose your specialty later.

4) program cost.  I got into a "prestigious direct entry" program, but it would have cost me a fortune.  I also got into a top 5 PA program with a scholarship they gave me making it one of the cheapest PA schools in the country.  It might little financial sense for me to go NP because I would have been in significantly more debt than I am now.  Might be less of an issue if you commit to a NHSC site for 2 years however.

good luck.  hard decision

Archived