Transfer

Does anyone know of any PA program that allows transfer from another PA program? I'm half way done the didactic portion and doing well (GPA 3.4-3.5), just not really liking how unorganized the program is.

I am sure there's one somewhere. Still, Advanced placement is something that a lot of programs tend to stay away from offering. To the OP let me get this straight. You are just halfway done with didactic, doing well but "not liking how unorganized the program is". Usually in this situation one drops out of the program and goes through the admission process again. Maybe you should give it a little more time...just saying.

LesH

I am actually more concerned about the clinical phase. As this school is fairly young (5 years old), they haven't established a good number of clinical sites. I only have 7 months left of didactic so I have no problem finishing didactic. I'm hoping (and praying) to find another program with established reputable clinical sites that I can transfer to begin clinicals. I have looked into some programs but none would allow transfer, so I was asking here to see if anyone would know.

This is a good lesson for those looking into PA school and trying to decide what school to choose. I am not saying that you didn't do this, but be sure to find out how they operate their second/clinical year. And how many sites/preceptors they have to offer.

Good point Shawn (and congrats on the PA-C BTW). Still a program like the one described by the OP did have its clinical year approved by the ARC-PA during its provisional accreditation process and most likely is coming up on another self study and site visit. So if lack of established reputable clinical sites is an issue I am positive the program is taking a serious look at the clinical year.

GREATMDPA did you post this? "I finish medical school outside of the country and even passed my medical boards (USMLE). Due to lack of experience in the US , I'm in PA school to gain that experience." What are you expecting out of your PA training? If this is what you want out of a PA program you might never find what you are looking for...just saying.

LesH

Good point Shawn (and congrats on the PA-C BTW). Still a program like the one described by the OP did have its clinical year approved by the ARC-PA during its provisional accreditation process and most likely is coming up on another self study and site visit. So if lack of established reputable clinical sites is an issue I am positive the program is taking a serious look at the clinical year.

GREATMDPA did you post this? "I finish medical school outside of the country and even passed my medical boards (USMLE). Due to lack of experience in the US , I'm in PA school to gain that experience." What are you expecting out of your PA training? If this is what you want out of a PA program you might never find what you are looking for...just saying.

LesH

Mr Lesh, would you please tell me what kind of clinical experience can I expect from PA education? Thank you.

Guest cabkrun

LesH

Yes, that was posted by GREATMDPA, they've had a name change. They were also the ones that posted that PA education is superficial. I will refrain from further comment :-)

its not equaled to that of an MD residency....I mean 6 weeks vs. 3 years--vast difference

The way I see it, PAs are trained to be a jack of all trades and master of none whereas a MD is quite the opposite.Once done with thier programs an MD is now a "master" in that area while a PA undergoes further on the job training to become a master in that area.

It would seem that if you plan to be an MD in the US you should have applied to medical school to get experience in the US as a MD. Makes no sense to become a PA to get experiences as a MD in the US seeing as how they are two different professions...that would be like me becoming an RN to experience what its like to be a PA in the US

Mr Lesh, would you please tell me what kind of clinical experience can I expect from PA education? Thank you.

its not equaled to that of an MD residency....I mean 6 weeks vs. 3 years--vast difference

The way I see it, PAs are trained to be a jack of all trades and master of none whereas a MD is quite the opposite.Once done with thier programs an MD is now a "master" in that area while a PA undergoes further on the job training to become a master in that area.

It would seem that if you plan to be an MD in the US you should have applied to medical school to get experience in the US as a MD. Makes no sense to become a PA to get experiences as a MD in the US seeing as how they are two different professions...that would be like me becoming an RN to experience what its like to be a PA in the US

Thank you for the suggestion :), and yes I have thought of medical school previously but the time (4 years) and the costs (which is most important to me) would just be too much. I have some friends that are in DO programs and they'll end up in around $300K debt when finished, plus they'll take the USMLE again, which to me is kind of absurb, since we all have the USMLEs already. So to go through another 4 years and $300K just to repeat the boards which we already passed just doesn't add up. But good thinking though. Thank you :)

Seems like it would be difficult going from MD to PA in terms of autonomy, but at least you have the medical experience behind you....should land a very nice job post graduation :-)

Thank you for the suggestion :), and yes I have thought of medical school previously but the time (4 years) and the costs (which is most important to me) would just be too much. I have some friends that are in DO programs and they'll end up in around $300K debt when finished, plus they'll take the USMLE again, which to me is kind of absurb, since we all have the USMLEs already. So to go through another 4 years and $300K just to repeat the boards which we already passed just doesn't add up. But good thinking though. Thank you :)

If cost is such a concern, why would you go to PA school and put yourself even further in debt rather than wait until the following year and reapply for residencies? Something just isn't adding up.

If cost is such a concern, why would you go to PA school and put yourself even further in debt rather than wait until the following year and reapply for residencies? Something just isn't adding up.

Got a big fat scholarship, $31K making PA school only $39K (which is nothing compared to $300K for PA school). I want to gain substantial amount of experience before I retry residency.

Got a big fat scholarship, $31K making PA school only $39K (which is nothing compared to $300K for PA school). I want to gain substantial amount of experience before I retry residency.

I meant $300K for "DO" school. I'll be doing the NHSC loan repayment, so I'll practically end up paying nothing out of pocket.

Archived