Chances and current stats

Hello folks! Nice to meet you all. I am a new member here in the forum and I just wanna say I wish I knew about this forum long before the entire process and in the beginning of this journey.

I just wanted to get some opinion regarding my stats and current situation.

A little bit about me:

23 Y.O, Male, state university

Biology major

CGPA: 3.65 SGPA: 3.6

1 year of experience as a day habilitation assistant / CNA for mentally disable / challenged adults

3 years of experience as a nurse in corrections, geriatrics and rehabilitation.

2 years volunteer youth leader

2 years of health psychology research with honors thesis in progress

1 year as a sustainability group leader

40 Hrs of PA shadowing in multiple specialities including primary care

And other small volunteering positions...

I would like to apply to PA school this upcoming April, but after talking to my advisor, she feels that I'm too young and don't have enough clinical experience to be competitive. To be honest, I feeling a little discouraged after hearing that because of the hard work I've put in and I know that I shouldn't rush anything but I feel as though my stats are decent enough that I can obtain an interview somewhere.

Please let me know what you think or any suggestions you may have. Thank you!

Based on what you say about yourself, your grades, and experience, I think that there are many schools at which you would be competitive at this stage. You are already not in PA school; what would be lost by applying this time? 

I would suggest that you do some research on schools and visit the academic coordinators in advance.

Good luck.

Based on what you say about yourself, your grades, and experience, I think that there are many schools at which you would be competitive at this stage. You are already not in PA school; what would be lost by applying this time? 

I would suggest that you do some research on schools and visit the academic coordinators in advance.

Good luck.

Thank you.

My advisor feels that I should wait until after graduation and rack up some more HCE before I apply. I have a ball park of about 4,000 hrs of paid experience. My GPA isn't perfect but I feel it's decent enough to land some interviews. I live in MA, I would like to go to school in the area or RI area which Johnson & Wales just opened a brand new program, but the program will require the GRE which I haven't taken it yet. If I do plan on it taking it I will need more time to prepare because English is my second language and I feel as though that will be my downfall without proper preparation.

My second concern is that a lot of the program requires a bachelors degree. Will schools take my application into consideration if my degree is in progress and that I will have a B.S by the time of matriculation if I were to recieve an acceptance?

Again, I know I shouldn't rush it but when you know deep down that you're ready to move on and you're sure that's what you wanna do and you feel you have all your ducks in a row, I just don't wanna wait around.

I would definitely apply. You have as good of stats and probably better experience than the average applicant, especially at your age. Like others have said, you have nothing to lose by applying, and to be honest, I'd be surprised if you weren't accepted somewhere especially if you apply broadly. Also most, but not all, programs will interview/accept students yet to receive a BS as long as they are scheduled to and do complete it before matriculating. 

Check out this thread with stats of many accepted students to get an idea of who's getting in (and I'd bet those who post their stats typically have higher GPAs, etc. than the average accepted student): http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/18-pa-applicant-stats-page/page-44  

Based on the stats and life experience you shared, I'd say you have a great shot if you get solid letters of recommendation, interview well, and get a decent score on the GRE if you need to take it for the programs you apply to. If you didn't get in, it wouldn't be because your HCE. 4,000 hours (many as an LPN) is more than enough in the eyes of many programs these days. 

I've sat across many college advisors over the years, and I've learned that some of them just don't know what they're talking about. It's on us to know when to heed their advice, when to get a second opinion, and when move forward with what feels right. 

Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep your chin up. 

Check out this thread with stats of many accepted students to get an idea of who's getting in (and I'd bet those who post their stats typically have higher GPAs, etc. than the average accepted student): http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/18-pa-applicant-stats-page/page-44  

Based on the stats and life experience you shared, I'd say you have a great shot if you get solid letters of recommendation, interview well, and get a decent score on the GRE if you need to take it for the programs you apply to. If you didn't get in, it wouldn't be because your HCE. 4,000 hours (many as an LPN) is more than enough in the eyes of many programs these days. 

I've sat across many college advisors over the years, and I've learned that some of them just don't know what they're talking about. It's on us to know when to heed their advice, when to get a second opinion, and when move forward with what feels right. 

Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep your chin up. 

Thank you and thanks for the link! Congrats on your acceptance also!!

I will definitely consider applying now. To be honest, I'm just afraid to go against my advisor because she is part of the commitee that writes the letter and I feel as though going against her advice might lead to a bad letter. I know it's unethical for her to write me a bad letter because I didn't listen to her but I just don't wanna it to turn bad even though this is my future and no one else can make the decision for me but on a great scale of things a bad letter can be a big down fall. She's the type of person that will tell you how it is and isn't afraid to let her opinion be heard.

with 4000 hrs, good grades, and training as an LPN I would apply now. make sure to emphasize your LPN training and certification. that wasn't clear in your first post and sets you apart from 90% of applicants who have lower level experience like emt or cna.

EMEDPA, how can I emphasize that? In personal statement and or during interview? Also, would schools consider my application if I applied before earning a B.S? If I apply now I will be on a time to attend PA school right after graduation which is my ultimate plan. I ask because a lot of the schools that I am interested in all says that they requires a bachelors degree. I know it's different situation and requirements with each schools.

emphasize your LPN work in your personal statement.

some programs will require you to finish your BS before you apply, others will not. check around. good luck. you are a great applicant!

Thank you. I really appreciate it. It does make me feel a lot better because I was really discouraged about the fact that I may need to take a year off after graduation to beef up my application, without even going through the application process once.

To be honest, I'm just afraid to go against my advisor because she is part of the commitee that writes the letter and I feel as though going against her advice might lead to a bad letter. I know it's unethical for her to write me a bad letter because I didn't listen to her but I just don't wanna it to turn bad even though this is my future and no one else can make the decision for me but on a great scale of things a bad letter can be a big down fall. She's the type of person that will tell you how it is and isn't afraid to let her opinion be heard.

You don't need a committee letter anyway.  Get letters from a PA/doc that you work with as a nurse, a supervisor that knows you well(or another PA/MD that does), and a professor.

Archived