Malpractice Insurance Coverage

What is your malpractice insurance coverage?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What is your malpractice insurance coverage?

• My malpractice is covered by my employer and I have no additional malpractice insurance
    • My malpractice is covered by my employer and I have my own malpractice insurance in addition
    • My malpractice is covered by my employer, but chose to have my own malpractice insurance only
    • My malpractice is not covered by my employer, so I have my own malpractice insurance

I know this has been talked about some, but I'm debating whether adding my own malpractice insurance, and taking a pretty big bite out of my pocket, would be worth it. All of my current jobs provide me with coverage at the particular site I'm working at and covering anything that happens while working at that particular job.

I've been thinking about adding my own malpractice mainly because I work a couple part time/per diem jobs, and I worry, at least with one of them, they may drop me from their malpractice without me knowing. (I know...separate issue in and of itself, and I'm probably quitting this job all together because of this).

Anyways, back to the point...I'm curious to know how some of you feel about this...and where you stand with your malpractice coverage.

I heard the same lecture from dr orlinsky at sempa as you did.

interesting that he had NO IDEA what a pa policy cost when I asked him after the lecture....for em the answer is 6k/yr. it starts out a bit less but this is the price after they ramp it up over a few yrs.

I would love to have my own policy because I work 4 em jobs covering 5 places but at 6k/yr can't see doing it. 2-3k/yr I would probably do it....

what I would like to see is an option for a supplemental policy for those of us who have coverage but want some back up.....doesn't exist unfortunately.

I don't know how applicable this is, but all of the hospitals I have worked for have encouraged employees NOT to carry their own policy...citing that if you were covered by the hospital's policy, your own policy only made you more of a target for litigation.

Also: I would think that legally they would have to notify you if you were dropped from the hospital/office/clinic policy....right???? I should hope.....

I found out last week that the radiology group that employed me did not incude invasive procedures under my insurance coverage, so for the last few years I have been poking needles without coverage. Luckally I have a personal policy that covers me. So now I am trying to have the group policy ammended. If you can afford it I vote for having a personal policy.

I am in the minority. I carry my own policy in addition to the one carried by my employer. However, the policy is relatively affordable as a Class I employee who has no ER or OR exposure.

I have previously heard lawyers who specialize in malpractice litigation say that you should always have your own malpractice insurance. If your malpractice insurance is provided by your employer, then they will have your employer's interests at heart, not yours. In other words, they will defend and protect the owners and physicians of the practice at your expense. However, I have to admit that every year when my malpractice payment comes due, I have to weigh the benefit vs. cost of carrying separate insurance. The cost, though affordable, is still significant.

I am in the minority. I carry my own policy in addition to the one carried by my employer. However, the policy is relatively affordable as a Class I employee who has no ER or OR exposure.

I have previously heard lawyers who specialize in malpractice litigation say that you should always have your own malpractice insurance. If your malpractice insurance is provided by your employer, then they will have your employer's interests at heart, not yours. In other words, they will defend and protect the owners and physicians of the practice at your expense. However, I have to admit that every year when my malpractice payment comes due, I have to weigh the benefit vs. cost of carrying separate insurance. The cost, though affordable, is still significant.

if I worked in primary care I would probably do it for 2k/yr or so but at 6k/yr for em it's just too much.....

I have Marsh.... was $1960/yr and it is occurence!!! I do beleive in certain states they do not cover certain procedures so you have to clal them and find out if it limits your scope.

you work derm though...fairly low risk...the same policy for em/surg/ob is 6k...

The quote they sent me is $1842... not too bad. It didn't mention how much in future years, so I sent an email asking for rates in 1, 5, and 10 years.

it goes up every yr...find out what the rate is when it tops out yr 3 or 4.

• 4 months later...
I found out last week that the radiology group that employed me did not incude invasive procedures under my insurance coverage, so for the last few years I have been poking needles without coverage. Luckally I have a personal policy that covers me. So now I am trying to have the group policy ammended. If you can afford it I vote for having a personal policy.

GHOOOOlllllllyyyyyyy crap batman - - -- - RUNNNNN far away from needles and your current employ

It is unbelievable that an employer would subject you to the liability and not even tell you - that is insane

I worked as a claims adjuster (injury and property) before becoming a PA - I can tell you first hand that I dropped many cases due to NOT having insurance policy to go after, or was maxed out already - but only once did I go after an individual who had low limits and a huge amount of property(rich).

The moral - mostly having additional insurance is like wearing a big "PLEASE SUE ME" sign - the exception to this is if you have a lot to loose - I am not talking a couple hundred here - but instead a few million - then get it.

Also, there is likely not a trial lawyer out there that is going to turn down a settlement offer of policy limits (1 to 3 million) and therefore refuse to sign releases - to be able to come after the PA for a few hundred thousand bucks. Lawyers are lazy and they want the easy money which if from the insurance companies....

So if you are rich-get med mal coverage - if you are the average PA - make sure that you are covered by your employer and they easist way to do this is putting a clause that says this in your employment contract and an indemification clause if they let the coverage lapse - in plain english it means if they don't cover you and you are sued and loose they have to reimburse you for the damages - has big teeth!!

Just my $0.02

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived