Patient Complaint...how do you deal with it?

Hi Fellow PA-C, 

I have been a PA for 2 years and am loving every minute of it. Unfortunately, my office called me today stating I had a patient aggressively complain about my "poor bed side manners". I re-counted my story of events and did not feel like i did anything wrong. As PAs we are expected to give great customer service and at the end of the day the patient is demanding an apology letter. I dont feel comfortable doing this since i honestly don't feel I did anything wrong. ( I told the patient to please turn of the tv and get off the phone so we could have a conversation regarding her medication changes. She was offended for some reason and said she wanted to stay on the phone ) I told her that it would be better if she got off the phone since i needed her full attention. We finally had the discussion but now she is complaining to the office...??! Also my two year review is coming up and I KNOW this will be brought up. 

My question is : How do you deal with difficult patients as a PA in your office, or hospital? Have you had similar situations? Do you think I should write the letter??? Thanks in advance for the advice.

xx

You did nothing wrong. A patient was in YOUR clinic/hospital to receive care. They have no right to the TV or phone when you are trying to deliver care. Her actions and unwillingness to heed your request could have jeopardized safety, especially when delivering important medication instructions. Do not apologize. Do not put an apology/admission in writing. A single complaining patient has little to no sway. She's clearly in the wrong, don't sweat it. Tell your supervisor(s) she was being non-compliant and hindering your ability to effectively deliver safe care. You refused to proceed until the situation was rectified. Stand your ground. Don't acquiesce to entitled brats when delivering care.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

By chance was she on the phone to allow for a family member to hear the discussion/instructions?

Good question!

If a pt is on the ph I usually would leave and go to the next room and see whoever is ready to be seen. Pt that really wants to be seen & value their time would hang up as when the PA or MD enters the room.

She was already on the phone talking despite me being in the room. Once I told her she should please get off the phone and turn down the tv did she say it was her daughter ( and did not bother turning the tv off) . I told her she can call her back or i can call her daughter back but she gave me attitude and i knew then this was going to be a difficult patient. 

This is a BS complaint and your SP should know that.

I don't worry about complaints that say" he didn't refill my percocet", he didn't feed me, he made me turn off the TV, etc

complaints of " I went to another hospital and they found xyz serious condition that you missed" would be more worrisome.

patient on phone = me leaving the room and seeing other patients

I don't ask to turn off the TV in the ER - I reach over and turn it off - it is not a hotel, it is an ER

Your mistake (And it is only a mistake in this crazy patient centered pressganey world) is that you debated with her - instead simply leave and let her tell the nurse when she is ready to be seen 

Any 'good' sp or hr person will see that is this BS so don't worry about it. And don't try to explain to much - just say you asked her to hang up and turn off the tv....

I'm not sure how it is in the civilian world, but I've been a military PA for a little over a year. So far, I've had two complaints against me. My leadership just shrugs their shoulders.

I work with providers that get as many as 4 complaints per month.

There are many patients out there that have unreasonable expectations. So a great many complaints have no validity. All of the health care providers that I've ever come in contact with know this.

Your employers should back you on these things. If they don't, find new employers.

Archived