Didn’t get a PA school interview this cycle? Here are three reasons why...

I am writing this as a first time applicant who was accepted into several schools. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but from extensive observation these appear to be the perpetual pitfalls of many applicants.

1. You did not READ & FOLLOW the rules.

This one is simple, yet immensely important. You must extensively research programs you are interested in, pour over their requirements, and apply strictly within each school’s guidelines. I am always astounded when I see hopefuls put in an app with a 2.9 GPA when the program requires a 3.0 or 3.2 minimum. Or when someone applies with only 200 patient care hours, when 1000+ are required. The list goes on and on; too many outstanding prereqs to complete, incorrect courses, and improper references. Programs receive hundreds, sometimes thousands of applications to sort through, and it’s very easy to toss you into the rejection pile if you fail to meet minimum requirements from the onset. Even if you plan on meeting requirements by matriculation, you’re still on very shaky ground. Schools prefer KNOWN quantities, i.e. applicants who have all their courses finished, grades in, and HCE completed. These are the apps that will receive interview priority. Be a known, polished quantity to increase your interview chances!

1. You applied LATE.

This is another common mistake. Yes, schools have a set deadline to receive applications, but waiting until that date comes due is a very certain way to DECREASE your interview chances. A nasty little thing called “rolling admissions” is a probability steam-roller that is slowly flattening your hopes & dreams. With such massive applicant pools, schools review apps and begin issuing interviews months before their stated application deadline. They also begin to fill seats at this time, slowing reducing the number of slots available to you, the “late” applicant. It behooves you to apply as EARLY as possible in the cycle to increase your interview chances.

1. You applied too NARROWLY.

Another pitfall of the hopeful PA student is to apply to only one or two schools. The reasons are varied and many, but when it comes down to it; if you really want to attend PA school, you may have to leave your state, region, or side of the country. I cringe when I read about the applicant who applies to the same school year after year, with unchanging results. If you applied to three schools this cycle without sucess and feel that you are a worthy candidate who meets the requirements, apply to 15 schools next cycle. Yes it is more costly, but each school is different, and you need to increase your chances of catching someone’s eye.

These are not the only factors which determine why you didn’t get an interview, just some major obstacles. Keep these in the forefront of your mind when reapplying and you may have better luck next cycle.

I wouldn't have been accepted to my current program if your #1 was absolutely true.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule
See opening paragraph. :) Very little holds 100% true, 100% of the time. These are general rules, not absolutes.Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

... You applied too NARROWLY.

Another pitfall of the hopeful PA student is to apply to only one or two schools. The reasons are varied and many, but when it comes down to it; if you really want to attend PA school, you may have to leave your state, region, or side of the country. ...

One person I know applied a couple years in a row to only a few schools, with no interviews offered. Eventually called it quits, changed the lifeplan, and started a nursing program.

I asked this person if he/she had applied to any schools outside of the region, like to any of the myriad of schools on the East Coast. "No", was the reply. It was sad because I really think this person would have had a great shot in some of the other programs that I was accepted to.

If you are playing the application numbers game, it is always a smart move to cast a wide net.

One person I know applied a couple years in a row to only a few schools, with no interviews offered.

I don't get this logic. ESPECIALLY if it's the same school again and again. I personally would be quite hesitant about reapplying to a school that had said no to me. Even if an applicant improves their stats, you can't be sure that was the only reason for being passed over.

Congrats on being accepted on your first try...however that doesn't make you an expert on telling others why they aren't getting in.

Agreed, and besides that, his rules are common sense for anyone deserving enough to get in.

I don't get this logic. ESPECIALLY if it's the same school again and again. I personally would be quite hesitant about reapplying to a school that had said no to me. Even if an applicant improves their stats, you can't be sure that was the only reason for being passed over.

People want to live and work in a certain area of the country where the schools hold some clout. On top of that, a lot of the time it's financially related.

What was your GPA/HCE?

Congrats on being accepted on your first try...however that doesn't make you an expert on telling others why they aren't getting in.

Just helping out. Please attack the facts if you find fault with them and not the person.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

People want to live and work in a certain area of the country where the schools hold some clout. On top of that, a lot of the time it's financially related.

What was your GPA/HCE?

Depends on how much you desire to attend. What's the point of applying narrowly for several cycles and never getting in?

My GPA is high, and my HCE is extensive. But these are the qualities of many applicants.

If you haven't finished school, you should really change your name from PACdan.

Agree with the statement that the guidelines above are common sense. If you don't get those, then.....

However, there are rules with some flex, like GPA. I've seen multiple times applicants accepted if they fall slightly below the line. Things that don't flex are requirements such as prereq courses.

Depends on how much you desire to attend. What's the point of applying narrowly for several cycles and never getting in?

My GPA is high, and my HCE is extensive. But these are the qualities of many applicants.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some have careers they are semi-content with or maybe family they refuse to stray too far from...many possible reasons and everyone has their own story. The diehard "PA school or death!" people will no doubt apply very broadly. 

If you haven't finished school, you should really change your name from PACdan.

I state in two places that I'm a PA-S. Just saving my name for the time being, an obvious play on PAC-MAN. And since I'm not dispensing medical advice, and am speaking intelligently on a internet forum, I think your comment is a bit overzealous. :)

I don't believe you're Dr. Zoidberg.

I state in two places that I'm a PA-S. Just saving my name for the time being, an obvious play on PAC-MAN. And since I'm not dispensing medical advice, and am speaking intelligently on a internet forum, I think your comment is a bit overzealous. :)

I don't believe you're Dr. Zoidberg.

Poor analogy since a Zoidberg is a fictional character and PA-C is a title many people hold. Secondly, I've seen your other posts in different threads and assumed you were a PA-C, so I assume others could make the same mistake.

Saying you are speaking intelligently may be overzealous. Pointing out the obvious isn't, and you've been confrontational with every minor criticism, including my innocuous suggestion. From that I conclude you are either insecure or a narcissist. Based on the fact you made the original post because people just had to hear your opinion, a facsimile to your posts in other threads, I'll guess the latter.

From that I conclude you are either insecure or a narcissist. Based on the fact you made the original post because people just had to hear your opinion, a facsimile to your posts in other threads, I'll guess the latter.

Is that your professional opinion? I don't get the backbiting going on here. The advice was for people asking the same basic questions over and over. They need the simple advice, because they're making the same simple mistakes.

You became hostile right off the bat. I won't speak to your possible personality traits, because I feel that is unprofessional and inappropriate.

Is that your professional opinion? I don't get the backbiting going on here. The advice was for people asking the same basic questions over and over. They need the simple advice, because they're making the same simple mistakes.

You became hostile right off the bat. I won't speak to your possible personality traits, because I feel that is unprofessional and inappropriate.

I will say it has been a long month, and I came off too strong. I apologize. However, if your concerned for professional appearances, the having PAC in your name is up there beyond commenting on my personality, in my opinion of course. Perhaps if you had a pacman photo I would have gotten the reference. Apologies again. Carry on with your advice.

I will say it has been a long month, and I came off too strong. I apologize. However, if your concerned for professional appearances, the having PAC in your name is up there beyond commenting on my personality, in my opinion of course. Perhaps if you had a pacman photo I would have gotten the reference. Apologies again. Carry on with your advice.

Haha, no worries at all. I just try to spread the love, but I too am often gruff.

I like the pac-man icon idea, I'll have to whip up a medical themed one to put up.

To the OP, Maybe edit and add to the opening staement that your sharing to be helpful....Its a little too brief, short, without an introduction to precede such a lengthy Post and does come acrossed as "I got in so now I know what to do" even if thats not what you meant. I see the points in your top three. Always room for play though. I applied a week late to the program I chose, got accepted the same day I interviewed. Was shocked about it all. The interview was right, the place was right and fell into place.....i would never recommend this strategy. I Was actually on a road trip, and added the last school on my blackberry after realizing I could cover the added costs. Im So glad I did. There are hundreds of qualified applicants for each school....limited slots, they cant see, invite them all for interview so great candidates are left behind a cycle or two every program. Not necessarily bc they overlooked stuff. Try to " buff the gruff" ;) it goes a loooooong way. Congrats on getting in. You should be proud.

Archived