PAs that are paramedics

Curious for those that are NREMT certified, how is that working for you? I am set to expire in 2015, funding it harder to keep up working family practice. Went to a local ems organization but they want me to take call. Not really wanting to go back to the streets and low pay to keep it up, how are others doing it?

If it's simply about keeping your medic cert, have you looked at state requirements rather than NREMT?  Some states don't have as many requirements for maintenance.  In CT I only need to pay a renewal fee to the state each year to keep my license; the CME requirements come from the local medical control, so they are only necessary if you are working as a paramedic.

If you do want to keep your NREMT but don't want to work on the road, have you looked at inactive status for the Registry?  You still need to keep up the CME's, but don't need affiliation with a service or a statement from your medical director verifying your skills.

• Administrator

If you work it right, you can use Cat I for some NREMT things, and some EMS stuff as Cat II.  Mind you, I'm doing that at the EMT level, but no way am I letting that cert lapse...

I work volunteer fire, every 9th day as a company officer and teach EMTs on the weekends occasionally.

• 1 month later...

Thus far, I have kept my National Registry as an EMT-P. I run two shifts per month and consider the people there part of my family. I have been taking a Saturday refresher every other year, but it got moved to Fridays and I can't do it. I have until next year and hope I can keep the streak alive. I did 6 years as a -B, 11 as a -I, and 11 now as a -P.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That may be state specific.  You should probably check with your state EMS board.  In states where I've worked EMS, however, so long as you practice as a paramedic while working as a paramedic you're fine. 

Why volunteer, though?  You worked too hard for that certification.  Get paid for it.

Are there any issues with volunteering as a Paramedic after becoming a PA-C? Assuming you were certified before PA school of course.

I worked per-diem as a medic for a few years after finishing PA school, and one of the major things I discovered was that you need to always be aware of which hat you are wearing.  As a PA I could perform interventions or give medications whenever I deemed it necessary, but as a paramedic I needed to follow the same protocols as every other medic.  When I put on the AMR shirt, I would still be calling medical control (speaking to my colleagues) for orders just like every other medic; it would be too much liability to do otherwise.

Archived