2013 Salary Report National Data

I'm just curious as to what others think about the newly released 2013 salary report. When comparing the 2010 national numbers to the 2013 numbers it seems like salaries are pretty stagnant… Specifically speaking in 2010 median national wage was 90,000 and in 2013 it was 90,000 for salary only and 100,000 for salary plus bonus. What do you think?

Where have you found the report? Another thread had a link to PAConnect, but it didn't work. I would really like to see the data for my upcoming review. Thanks!

The reasoning for new programs being administered is because of the high demand of PA's and specifically, primary care providers. This is an extremely hot field that is clearly on the rise as we shift to the new era of Healthcare in the United States.  The shortage of primary care providers continues to extend beyond PA's because the money and high salary wages clearly is in specialties and will continue being there.  For the current programs adding 10-15 seats to their programs and new programs being accredited each year I still don't see this profession ever 'capping off'.

More programs, more seats, It is because of the demand of the profession and the shift to the cost efficient model of using PA's over teams of doctors. Compared to other health professional programs we will still be much more exclusive when looking at our total job to total number of PA's ratio even if we are adding a good amount of new programs over the next few years.

I love where my profession is going and although I'd like to see our average salary keep increasing (slowly it will), ultimately it will not skyrocket because the future of PA's is not specialty it is primary care. 

The reasoning for new programs being administered is because of the high demand of PA's and specifically, primary care providers. This is an extremely hot field that is clearly on the rise as we shift to the new era of Healthcare in the United States.  The shortage of primary care providers continues to extend beyond PA's because the money and high salary wages clearly is in specialties and will continue being there.  For the current programs adding 10-15 seats to their programs and new programs being accredited each year I still don't see this profession ever 'capping off'.

More programs, more seats, It is because of the demand of the profession and the shift to the cost efficient model of using PA's over teams of doctors. Compared to other health professional programs we will still be much more exclusive when looking at our total job to total number of PA's ratio even if we are adding a good amount of new programs over the next few years.

I love where my profession is going and although I'd like to see our average salary keep increasing (slowly it will), ultimately it will not skyrocket because the future of PA's is not specialty it is primary care. 

You might want to take off your rose colored glasses.  The shortage of primary care providers really only exists for medicaid and, to a lesser extent, medicare patients.  On top of the pittance that these programs pay for primary visits, they only pay 85% of this for visits by a PA.  Furthermore, most of these organizations are run by managers, not providers, who would rather have that extra 15% so will hire a physician (or a DNP if that goes through). 

As to the "adding 10-15 seats" and scores of new programs not "capping off" income...take a look at the nursing profession in many major areas.  Experienced nurses are having no problems, but new nurses are having difficulties finding jobs.  In my area the hospitals have such a glut of nurses they are now only hiring BSN nurses, the LPN/LVNs are left to the nursing homes. 

Lastly...the trend over the past 10-15 years for the PA profession is AWAY from primary care and toward specialty care. 

I don't have a crystal ball so I'm not going to tell you where the profession is going, but I have a very clear understanding of where it came from and I can tell you the potential for job- and wage- stagnation is very much there. 

nursing profession and legal profession ..... I cringe when I hear people going to 3rd rate schools in these fields. I hope this is not what I feel when a future friend or relative decides to enter PA school.

The rhetoric about many entering into primary care and the "doctor shortage" has been contested on numerous fronts. DO NOT say it is true or false unless you have command over the workforce and policy literature. I will be the first to admit I do not have this but from conversations with smarter people and some reading it seems the growth of the PA and NP profession is quite high in the next 5-7 years and nobody seems to include these numbers in workforce models.

The reasoning for new programs being administered is because of the high demand of PA's and specifically, primary care providers. This is an extremely hot field that is clearly on the rise as we shift to the new era of Healthcare in the United States. The shortage of primary care providers continues to extend beyond PA's because the money and high salary wages clearly is in specialties and will continue being there. For the current programs adding 10-15 seats to their programs and new programs being accredited each year I still don't see this profession ever 'capping off'.

In theory this is nice, in reality it's BS lol. Only 20% of PAs are in primary care. PAs are going into specialties also, we are STILL going to have a shortage of primary care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why universities should care about market saturation or job placement for their graduates? They are in a money making business. No one can blame them for this. Graduates of no name-find your own rotations can still find jobs, it has been said multiple times here that school and/or grades doesn't matter for PA employment. I guess till this situation changes there will be no reason for DeVry not to open a PA program. 

As far as shortage of providers - there is clearly a shortage... try to call a doctor's office and schedule an appointment for today or tomorrow. Especially, if it is just an annual physical for a new patient. I bet you can find an optometry appointment for today and tomorrow much easier.

I see lots of doom and gloom about market saturation. What lawyers, scientists or administrative assistants should do - shoot themselves in comparison?

I feel that the salaries reported in the survey are extremely high compared to what the people I know make. A know a girl fresh out of PA school making $65k working for the state run community health clinics. No call, weekends, and she gets every holiday off and great healthcare and retirement benefits. The local hospital starts new grads at 78k and after a couple years they are at 85k with annual 5% productivity bonuses. I think the AAPA is greatly over stating the salaries.

Lets be honest nobody is going to respect the DNP degree. It is a Doctorate of Nursing Practice not a Doctorate of Nurse Practitioner. It might work to our advantage as more physicians will hate them for short cutting medical school. If they hate them more they will hate us less.... If you look at the credits for a masters in family Nurse practitioner + a DNP degree, it falls right around 100 credits. MPAS programs average at least 100 graduate credits. Anybody that has an MPAS degree technically already had a doctorate degree. Just my two cents.

I feel that the salaries reported in the survey are extremely high compared to what the people I know make. A know a girl fresh out of PA school making $65k working for the state run community health clinics. No call, weekends, and she gets every holiday off and great healthcare and retirement benefits. The local hospital starts new grads at 78k and after a couple years they are at 85k with annual 5% productivity bonuses. I think the AAPA is greatly over stating the salaries.

Lets be honest nobody is going to respect the DNP degree. It is a Doctorate of Nursing Practice not a Doctorate of Nurse Practitioner. It might work to our advantage as more physicians will hate them for short cutting medical school. If they hate them more they will hate us less.... If you look at the credits for a masters in family Nurse practitioner + a DNP degree, it falls right around 100 credits. MPAS programs average at least 100 graduate credits. Anybody that has an MPAS degree technically already had a doctorate degree. Just my two cents.

they show median. half of people make less than a figure shown for any given category. Half make more. they do not have new grads - they have 4 years and less. Big difference IMHO. no experience. 4 years of experience.

Archived