Lateral Mobility

There has been a lot of talk about decreased mobility with residencies, CAQH certifications, etc. 

An important point to remember is that PAs exist primarily for economic reasons -- it takes a lot of time and money to create a physician, and not everyone wants to be one. PAs and NPs make less and can fill in in many situations where a physician would otherwise be required. This fact above all makes it economically advantageous for practices to hire PAs. 

While a small percentage of PAs go through 1 year residencies, many don't. The rest of us learn on the job and many move from specialty to specialty during their careers. While it is difficult to know the future for any profession, it is hard to believe that our mobility will disappear. Economics is likely key and, if the time it takes to train a PA starts to approach that of a physician, then the economics would no longer work.

I don't think that it is economics that will hinder lateral mobility, ity will be organizations like the joint commission and hospital credentialing bodies which require procedure logs, etc before you can do tasks. many specialty positions want folks with prior experience. if you don't have it and you didn't do a residency you won't get the job. I think we can all rotate back to primary care regardless of current specialty and this likely will not change but for me to get a neurosurgery job today coming from a background in em would likely involve a residency or I would be doing floor care only and never see the inside of the o.r.

I hear what you are saying and I'm sure it happens but, thus far anyway, I just don't see much evidence of it, at least in this area of the country. Very few PAs go into residencies thus far and I am not seeing jobs requiring them to at this point. The new neuroscience center in town is holding a job fair for PAs and NPs, although I'm guessing that those who are hired won't be doing much in he way of hands-on intracranial surgery for a while  

I guess we'll just have to see. Trends are like that.

Archived