Training for quality HCE, direct patient care experiences

Regardless of the debate between quality HCE and "fast" HCE, I wanted to pull together information on the training required behind the many careers that constitute HCE.

Here is a partial list of the professions I've found so far and a general idea of the training programs I've found for them in my state:

Paramedic - local CC has AAS (76 credits) and diploma (59 credits) in EMS-Paramedic

ER Tech - CC across town offers 20 credit certificate in ER Tech that includes FR/EMR, EMT-B, Phlebotomy, and EKG basics

RN - seeing more ADN programs transitioning to BSN options, entry level MSN programs ($$$)

LVN/LPN - diploma (39-53 credit) and AAS (63 credit) practical nursing programs, but some are harder to find with transition to BSN programs

Medical Assistant - 44-64 credit certicate programs, a few rare places do on-the-job training

EMT-B - local CC has 9 credit EMT-B program, others have 7-10 credits, also available through private companies

Patient Care Tech - requires BLS, some also require CNA or CMA experience, distant CC has 12 credit certificate for patient care associate

Nursing Assistant - local CC has 7 credit certificate program

Rad Tech - 78 (AAS) - 120 (BS) credit programs

Cardiovascular Tech - 67-71 credit AAS programs

Respiratory Therapist - 76-78 credit AAS programs

Clinical Research - 22 credit certificate,  61 credit AAS program, 120 credit BS

Phlebotomist - local CC has continuing ed program, other in-state schools have 9-19 credit certificate programs

Scribe - local job listing requires coursework in medical terminology, medical transcription, and human anatomy

Health Unit Coordinator - local CC has continuing ed program, others have 16-27 credit certificate programs

I've left out other professions related to specialties, such as dental, ophthalmic, psych, etc., so feel free to add that information.

I'm looking for:

• Comments on job outlook for these career paths
  • Information on volunteer outlets for using the certifications that come with these career paths
  • What can be learned from these career paths that help one to become a good PA-S, and eventually PA-C
  • Good points and bad points from those who have taken these career paths on the way to PA
  • Suggestions for those in a rush (which I am not, so don't flame me) to get their HCE on the way to PA school.

{Edited for typo.}

there are accelerated emt-b programs that can be done either full time in a week or all day weekends for a few months,etc. ditto cna.

most paramedic programs will require an applicant to already be an emt-b and have 6 mo of experience.

LPN/LVN can be done at technical programs without a degree in 9-12 months. there are also non-degree medic and MA programs.

Some medical asst. programs have the option of limited xray tech training tacked on ( an extra 3 months allows cxr and extremities).

I did the emt to er tech to paramedic route and was very well prepared for pa school, rotations, and em jobs after graduation.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my bachelor's degree in athletic training...its a nice way to get your degree and also get a lot of HCE at the same time...through athletic training I was also able to find physical therapy aid jobs (no degree or special certification required)...so I worked as the PT aid and gained even more HCE while I completed my undergraduate degree. After undergrad, I also completed a CNA program to gain more experience outside of athletics....

Archived