Re-cert/ PANRE in 2014

Okay, so I have one question I think I already know the answer to, and then a second one that's a lot less clear to me.

First, I'm eligible to do the PANRE in either 2014 or 2015 (I graduated and did the PANCE in 2009). I've heard a lot of excellent arguments in favor of just going for re-cert in 2014, and I think that's what I'll do. If anyone has a compelling argument in favor of wating until 2015, I'd love to hear it.

Second, I don't relish the idea of a big, formalized test prep period - I studied for PANCE like it was my job, because at the time it was, but now I have a job, a kid, and a life - but it seems kind of arrogant to expect to waltz in with no preparation and ace the PANRE. Clearly, I should do some manner of preparation, and something structured and relatively quick, like one of the intense, 3- or 5-day things, seems about right.

But... that would mean that my limited CME time and dollars would go to whatever prep I schedule for myself, and I would likely not be able to attend the SEMPA conference, which I've really liked and found useful for the past 4 years running.

So this means I need to decide on either Plan A, which would be to do SEMPA as usual, study at home on my own with a good workbook or Web-based thing over a couple of weeks... or Plan B, which would be to find a nice destination type boot camp thing scheduled such that I can go out and crush the PANRE within a couple weeks of finishing it.

Does any of the above sound like something you've done, and would recommend? Thanks, team, for whatever observations or ideas you have.

First four times I took PANRE I never studied and did just fine. I did take an online study course this year (year early) due to comments on this forum regarding increased difficulty for testers. It was a nice review and I got Cat I CME out of the deal as well. Score was fine. Bottom line, IMO, if one uses common sense and has kept up with journals regarding current treatment methods of common disease processes you should do fine. I was not a gunner in school nor since. As with everything else, you have to understand normal to appreciate abnormal.

agree with above. take it year 5 of your cycle. 2014 is my year 5 and I will be taking it then as well. study what you feel you are weak in on your own time but you don't have to go overboard. working in UC you see lots of primary care so it should not be a problem. I have never studied more than a few hrs total for a panre and always done fine. also taking it year 5 you get multiple chances to pass so if something weird happens and you develop dyslexia during the test or something you can then study hard for round 2.

don't be complacent. I did a 5 day intensive review and flunked the PANRE TWICE!!! I used an online review course (hippo.com, I think) and it helped me a lot. it gives you Cat 1 CME, too.

I passed my PANCE just fine (with a 5 day intensive review), and I'm a good test-taker. I was shocked out of my shoes to flunk it not once, but TWICE...

shish-ka-bibble...

I hope you're just teasing, EMEDPA!

I'm glad that some PAs are routinely exposed to women's health, peds, the latest vaccination schedule, psych, derm, and all those other areas that some of us don't see that often. And that you didn't have to study and could pass the test cold. 

Please cut some slack for those of us who either wanted a bit more preparation or didn't want to take the chance. 

It was also a great review. It was like the paramedic refreshers I still show up for every two years: a chance to refresh yourself about things you haven't seen lately, but might in the near future.

Yeah, I think I might do a Web-based thing, as long as it has a couple of practice tests. All depends on when and where I can do the PANRE in the first place, I guess. I'll do like I did for the PANCE; practice test cold, identify weak spots, concentrate on those for a week or two, then practice test again.

I took the PANRE last month (year 5 for me) and was shocked at how difficult it was.  I passed, but I honestly would not have been surprised if I had failed.  I am technically in FP, but I'm in the military so I don't see gyn, pedes or old folks.  Psych and musculoskeletal I rock at, everything else is greek.

I took the 5 day CME resources class and it was pure hell, but an excellent review and lots of practice tests.  I got exactly the score they predicted I would.  I also did hippoPA, which was a nice review but I don't know if would have gotten me through the test. 

I had to pay out of pocket for all these since the gov't sequestration has cut back on CME $, but it was worth it to keep my C. 

Good luck. 

I work in EM, and the only things I used to study were hippopa and an app with review questions.  I focused on the big bang stuff (cards, pulm, GI, MS and reviewed the things I don't see often).  I did think it was a difficult test, and was questioning whether I passed or not until I got my results.  But I did do very well with just those items.  

I think if you have broad exposure in your job you really only need to hit stuff that you know are weak points.remember a pass on panre is somewhere around 60% most of the time and we are talking about a test you are allowed to take 4 times.. if you work in a specialty that does not see the full range of pts then definitely do some review. Most of the em pas I know take it cold or with minimal study time and do fine. keep in mind most of these folks have been pas for > 10 yrs.

I am taking panre again next year and am skimming my way through the newest addition of primary care secrets during down time at work. that is all I plan on doing and will be more than I have done the last few times I have taken it.  both pance and panre are poorly written tests. I think everyone thinks they failed each time they take these tests yet most folks do fine. apparently they throw out a lot of the really poorly written queastions on each version of thr test.

Archived